donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/2/13 11:53 a.m.

well a few weeks ago I sold my surly 1x1 that i'd been enjoying for the last year or so... the fit wasn't 100% and I couldn't get it done right without a steerer extender or some other tidbits... also my rear shifting was slightly off no matter how I adjusted it because of using the SS der. hanger

this is the best pic I can find at this moment...

all the parts where stripped from it outside of the headset and frameset and it was returned to a proper SS running a SS 29er wheelset and some 700x38 tires I had and then sold... the guy who got it was about my height (6'3-6'4ish) and super excited to find a SS surly in his size locally (one good part about being in a huge market like houston)

on the way home I stopped at my LBS and asked what sort of deal he could work for me on a Surly Disc trucker frameset... I went in knowing exactly what I could get it for online after shipping... he came within $32 so I had him order it... later that week it came in... and had him swap the headset from my other MTB that is donating it's parts... got it home and then discovered this

... that should measure 135mm between the stays... so back to the shop... he called the distributor and had another one sent out... I got it on Wed.

when I got to the shop he had the headset swapped for me... got it back home and began the build

I tossed a spare flat bar and a cheapo saddle on her and went to town on the build

getting the shifters/deralleurs setup was the easiest I've ever done... got it all perfect on the first try... usually I find the front der. to be pretty finicky to get right so I was super happy :)

I went with the deore shift/brake levers over the XT I have because of the shape of them, with the bars I have I put y hands over the pod section... the deore are a bit more rounded out than the xt... so I had to pull the brake hose, cut the rear hose and bleed them both...

the only problem I ran into on the build was getting the rear brake setup... apparently I bent the rear rotor a little so took a bit to true the rotor back up.

everyone says that these frames ride like a Caddilac... they aren't kidding... I took a quick 17 mile ride yesterday to make sure everything was right on it... I need a different stem... but the fit is pretty nice... I can't wait to get A LOT more miles on her... next year I hope to get her out for some touring... but right now racks, fenders, and panniers are going to have to wait while I enjoy exploring

the only parts I didn't have and haven't used on a prior bike are the downtube cable stops, headset spacers, and shift cables... in the end she came out like this

Frame – 62cm surly disc trucker

Fork – Surly disc trucker

Saddle – Brooks b17 standard

Seatpost – Easton E30

Bars – Titec “Jones” H-bar

Grips – Ergon GP1

Stem – no name

Headset – Cane Creek 10 Series

Crankset – Shimano SLX FC-M660 175 22-32-44t

Front Deralleur – Shimano Deore FD-M591

Rear Deralleur - Shimano Deore RD- M592 (shadow)

Cassette – Sram PG970 11-34t

Chain – KMC x9.93

Shifters/Brake leavers – Shimano Deore ST-M535 Dual control

Brake calipers – Shimano Deore BR-M535

Brake rotors – Avid G3CS 160mm “clean sweep”

Wheelset – stock from ’11 Trek sawyer

Rims – Bontrager Duster

Hubs – Shimano HB-M475

Tires – Panaracer Pasela 700x32

Pedals – Shimano PD-M505

in the end she came out to right in the 29 lb range... no light weight for sure but it's a 62cm steel touring frame built up with a build spec that is pretty consistant with the ideals of loaded touring (strong, reliable parts)... and it rider isn't a small guy either ;-)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/13 12:02 p.m.

Very nice specs!

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/2/13 12:10 p.m.

thanks, my original plan was to use what I had used on the 1x1 (mid 90s crank and deralleurs) but wanted the newer, stronger, lighter stuff on this...

I also had some XT calipers I considered using... the use the same pads as the deore... but I didn't want to spend the $30 for a freaking hose and figure if/when I do tour I'll have a much better chance of finding the inline hose than the banjo bolt end the XT uses... granted thats really a bit of hog wash... if I was really concerned I'd use some bb7 with cables and my shifters would be some barcons on pauls thumbies that can move to friction mode lol... so really I'm just a cheapo that didn't want to spend $30 lol

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/2/13 12:15 p.m.

so many bike threads! need to get cranking on the overhaul and two builds I've had the parts for, for three months now.

that's an interesting handlebar and you must be a pretty big dude!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/2/13 12:16 p.m.

Used to own a surly instigator...love me some surly. Im 4CF, and I approve this message.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/2/13 12:25 p.m.
bluej wrote: so many bike threads! need to get cranking on the overhaul and two builds I've had the parts for, for three months now. that's an interesting handlebar and you must be a pretty big dude!

ya the 62cm fits me well... I'm 6'3 or 6'4 and a long inseam...

for the bar it's a licence from Jeff Jones but he made all his in TI... tons of hand positions... really made for MTB but I love them on the sreet... he's changed the design so there is more bar on the grip section so it was easier to fit shifters... with the design I have it's a bit of a PITA to run shifters outside of a few specific systems (specificly what I'm using.. the brake lever is the shifter)... I would love to find an original jones TI bar... but they are expensive still :-/

@4CF... surly just anounced a NEW intigator http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/breaking-new-bikes-surly-including-mini-fat this is my 3rd surly... started on a Karate Monkey, then the 1x1, then this... they are just good strong frames for this big guy

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
8/2/13 1:04 p.m.

Niiiice... I keep dreaming of building a commuter / gravel road bike, but I don't ride either. I just can't justify it. Right now. Wait, if I strip the old Sram X7 off the hardtail trek with the cracked frame....and buy used wheels....

rambles off to check steel frame prices

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/2/13 1:22 p.m.

I liked my old sram stuff... was a mix of x7 and 9.0 stuff

for framesets... you can get this one for $400 shipped from http://www.bicycleoutfittersindy.com/ with the first time user discount (on the left side of their page)... looks like you could get a karate monkey for $5 more

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/2/13 1:24 p.m.

or you could go with one of the in house brands at preformance bike, nashbar, pricepoint etc and get an alu 29er frame for 100-200$

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/8/13 6:20 p.m.

Cool build. Wacky bars!!!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/8/13 8:30 p.m.
donalson wrote: ... I took a quick 17 mile ride yesterday to make sure everything was right on it...

wait, 17 miles is a quick ride? what do you consider a long ride? I'd fall over dead within 100 yards so anything is huge distance for me.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/8/13 8:36 p.m.

under 1 1/2 hrs is a quick ride... lol... 2-3 hrs is getting into longer rides.... i'm slow and fat... doh...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/8/13 8:38 p.m.
gamby wrote: Cool build. Wacky bars!!!

yes they are... and very comfy... lots of hand positions... sitting back on the grips is great for upright riding... for most normal riding my hands sit at the cross bar and if i'm grinding i push into the hooks... they area heavy... but the bike is still less % of my weight then the average racers bike is to their body weight

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/8/13 11:51 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
donalson wrote: ... I took a quick 17 mile ride yesterday to make sure everything was right on it...
wait, 17 miles is a quick ride? what do you consider a long ride? I'd fall over dead within 100 yards so anything is huge distance for me.

I just did my regular 19.75 mile loop in 1:05 yesterday. Quick ride, indeed. Once you get into cycling, sub-20 mile rides are "short".

I'm just breaking your balls, donalson. Clearly if you're running flat bars, the more hand positions, the merrier. That setup makes sense for you.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/9/13 12:29 a.m.

ya i'm fat and slow... really it's when I push to 20 miles or over it is no longer a short ride for me... but I know some people that don't bother to ride unless they are going for 60-100 miles

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/9/13 8:40 a.m.
donalson wrote: surly just anounced a NEW intigator http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/breaking-new-bikes-surly-including-mini-fat this is my 3rd surly... started on a Karate Monkey, then the 1x1, then this... they are just good strong frames for this big guy

Surly is a great frame for the price...plus, when you work at a shop, and you can see what they sell wholesale for when youre cruising through the Quality catalog on your lunch break, the cheapskate in you starts to drool all over your value fries

Cool build Man, love it! But, youve got approx nine miles of spacers on that steer tube lol. I have a hacksaw if you need to borrow one...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/9/13 10:21 a.m.

ya I know what they go for... my old shop bud let me cruise though QBP... I paid a little more then the shop guys paid but not much... its one of the reasons I knew I'd be in trouble if I ever worked at a shop... i'd always spend all my $$$ on the awesome deals lol

for the stack... apparently it's a sin to cut the steerer tube on a touring bike ;-)... when I get a standard stem i'll be putting an accessory stem/bar on to mount my headlamps and stuff on... if I was worried about it I've got a few pipe cutter... or I could pull a sheldon brown

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/13 10:35 a.m.

Man, that's a cool bike.^

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/9/13 11:13 a.m.

or this one...

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/9/13 6:00 p.m.

Department of redundancy dept.