1 2
Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/16 7:44 p.m.

In light of the recent Tim the Tool Man Taylor-esque hotrod push mower thread, I thought my recently acquired mower might deserve a thread of its own. Not because I've done some super awesome mods to it, or there is anything inherently cool about it, but rather because it's incredible suckyness at all functions of being a lawnmower deserves to be documented.

So there it is, a nineteen eighty whatever MTD LT 12.5.38. They couldn't even give it a real number for a name. One would presume that the 12 refers to the 12 hp Briggs and Stratton engine, and the 38 represents the 38" deck, but the 5 remains a mystery. "What about the transmission" you say? Nope, it's a 6 speed. Who knows...

The LT 12.5.38 was acquired via Craigslist around 2-3 weeks ago. Some of you may be aware that I recently purchased my first house, and, as such, I was in need of a riding mower for my roughly .75 acre yard. With all of the other expenses coming along with the house, I set off in search of the cheapest functional mower I could find. At $175, the MTD was it.

As I arrived at the PO's house, immediately upon stepping out of my borrowed truck the very shirtless and sweaty redneck seller requested that I help him herd his several chickens back into their coop. I E36 M3 you not, I wasn't there 10 seconds and we're chasing chickens around this dude's yard like redneck Rocky.

Meanwhile, the tractor is idling away in the driveway amongst a slew of other slightly newer and less E36 M3ty tractors. Red flag #1, vehicle is running prior to arrival. Said his son must have left the key on and drained the battery so he had to jump it, but the battery is new (and it looked new enough.) I can see the belts flapping away underneath and the deck is missing one of its casters. My brief test drive also revealed horrifically sloppy steering. So clearly it was not in the best overall condition, Red Flag #2, it was probably a piece of E36 M3, but it ran OK and cut grass, which was good enough. So when it came to talk price, the seller starts going into how he is fixing and selling mowers to fund a mission trip to Haiti and blah,blah, blah, which thus raised Red Flag #3: Anyone who seems slightly shady (which he did) and calls Jesus as a character witness is probably lying to you. In spite of the obvious red flags, I bought it anyways, knowing full well I was getting a crappy mower.

So far it has not disappointed. First cutting, as soon as I got home, went OK, the tractor even powered it's way through some rather shaggy and overgrown grass. On the second cutting, I had quite a bit of difficulty starting the old girl, had to jump it (ha) and then crank forever.

The third cutting is where things really went south. First, after again having to jump it and crank forever, I lost propulsion when the drive belt came off its pullys. But fortunately I was able to hold it up on its side with one hand while working the belt back into place with the other. However, i didn't make it much further without running out of gas (which was expected, I was just trying to get as much done as I could after work one night.) The trouble came the next day, after I filled and tried to restart it. Again, the jump and crank routine ensued, and then concluded unsuccessfully with the smoke escaping the starter motor as it ground to a halt.

After an unsuccessful attempt to disassemble and repair the starter, I gave in and ordered a new one for $30 (now up to $205.) Installed it tonight and now it's running as good as ever, which is to say a tad on the rich side and generally not very well. I don't know if that is a result of the carb needing to be cleaned, or the choke being stuck (not sure if it's stuck off or on, the running rich but being hard to start seem to give conflicting signals.) I also discovered the reason for the incredibly sloppy steering at this point. There is a tie rod running from a gear off of the steering shaft to the LF knuckle. The tie rod end at the knuckle has completely separated, while the opposite was only placed in its hole, with no nut to secure it. I'll be making a trip to tractor supply in the next couple days.

When it has run and cut grass, it hasn't cut it very evenly and has also shown a spending for scalping the hell out of certain spots. I'm sure the missing caster is to blame here, and am planning to deal with that as well. On a positive note, it is decently fuel efficient, using a gallon for roughly 1.75 cuttings.

So there you have it. I can't really complain about this tractor, I was looking for a cheap POS and that's what I got, but rather it's been worth a few laughs. I don't know if I'll just keep it until this spring or try to eek out another year, but either way this tractor is not a long term solution. I don't know what this thread is supposed to be either, perhaps it will turn into a poor quality "build" thread or maybe it just belongs in the minor rant thread, but either way feel free to share your own stories of hated pieces of E36 M3ty power equipment.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/28/16 8:05 p.m.

At that age the fuel mixture is likely adjusted by a thumb screw sticking out of the bottom of the carb. Should be around 1.5 turns out. Check the air filter, probably needs a new one.

I like the older equipment, the cheap crap back then was built way better than the cheap crap is now.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/28/16 10:38 p.m.

You know, this winter you could rebild it better and make it faster.....pull the deck off friday, race on sunday......or off road toy....

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
9/29/16 7:28 a.m.

I read most of this thread aloud to my wife and we laughed. Thanks. Good luck. I have a slightly less crappy Sears riding mower.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/16 8:04 a.m.

I will attempt to get in touch with drunk Mike, he just flipped 2 mtds earlier this summer, so might be able to help. I'll report back tonight or tomorrow morning with findings.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
9/29/16 9:05 a.m.

I think I may have found the problem. Is that dog regularly peeing on the tractor?

Furious_E
9/29/16 9:14 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Thanks! I'm really just looking for people to laugh along with me at this cursed beast more than anything.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

There is indeed what appears to be a mixture screw on the carb, I just haven't mustered the balls to start messing with it yet for fear of upsetting the current balance of things. Also, the filter definitely needs to be replaced.

And I'm not sure this thing is quite old enough to qualify as the "good cheap crap," but rather this was among the first generations of just plain cheap crap. Everything just feels flimsy and the chassis is so flexy it dreams of being as rigid as a convertible fox body.

In reply to ckosacranoid:

Racing mower is a distinct possibility in this machine's future . There seems to be more than enough of it going on locally.

In reply to RevRico:

Thanks man!

Furious_E
9/29/16 9:16 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

I like to think that's just how he voices his own displeasure with it

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/29/16 9:17 a.m.

I just bought an old style rotary/reel mower. So there is that.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
9/29/16 10:14 a.m.

One word for you, Sea-foam. I guess two words. Or a compound word. I have one to two compound words for you. Sea-foam.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
9/29/16 10:25 a.m.

I consider the flex on my Sears to be part of the suspension. It's terrain following. It's a feature.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/29/16 10:26 a.m.

We had a twin to that mower back in.....1985 or so. Rebranded Mongomery Ward and painted orange but 12.5 hp and 38" deck. I was 14 and so eager to operate anything with a motor I mowed constantly around our 30 acre farm. One of my favorite tricks was to put it in 6th gear (side shifter), rev it to the moon, and neutral drop it with the F-N-R shifter. I could spin the tires maybe a foot and lift the front wheels off the ground.

Of course my abuse took its toll on the poor beast, it was dead by the time I enlisted in 1989.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
9/29/16 2:34 p.m.

This thread makes me appreciate my motorless push mower from Lowes

carzan
carzan Dork
9/29/16 9:07 p.m.

I have one that looks just like that only red. Mid to late 80s model, I believe. I bought it a couple of months ago because the electric deck clutch went out on my 24HP Craftsman and the MTD tractor at $100 was cheaper than buying the clutch (~$140). Plus, the grass was past needing to be cut and I didn't want to wait. Yes, it was easier and cheaper to buy a complete tractor than the repair part for the "old" one and it was available NOW. The wiring is completely burned up, so I have to jump a battery directly to the starter to start it. If it dies anywhere, I have to haul a battery to it to restart. The bushings for the wheel pivots (at the wheels) are plastic from the factory and were completely worn out. I bought some bronze ones on ebay and it steers MUCH better, now. It actually cuts quite well and while I have the new clutch now for the other tractor, I haven't bothered to put it in, yet. With grass season coming to an end, it seemed pointless. I'll do it over the winter...maybe. haha

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/16 9:15 p.m.

All DM had to say was to try cleaning or rebuilding the carb. For someone who never shuts up about anything, he had surprisingly little to say about the tractor.

And carzan, back when I had of 70 something IH 1000, it was cheaper to buy a whole spare tractor with a good deck than a new deck. As all the parts got swapped between, it made one hell of a race tractor.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
9/29/16 9:18 p.m.
RossD wrote: I consider the flex on my Sears to be part of the suspension. It's terrain following. It's a feature.

Exactly, the old tractor at the old place flexed and twisted all over the place on the very hilly and rough terrain that was our yard. The new stiff one that replaced it didn't, causing one wheel to leave the ground and just spin in the air, no posi on those things. It was tons easier to mow with the old one verses the new one.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
9/29/16 9:50 p.m.

If you want a good cheap old pos lawn tractor, find a John Deere 212.. i see them all the time for a couple hundred bucks or less, but i got mine for free. Had to put new bearings in the deck, but otherwise it's been amazing all year.. it's also an actual tractor, with an H pattern shifter with a for reals granny low gear that makes the 12hp Tecumseh seem powerful.. that and the road gear that gets me up to a GPS verified 7mph makes it an amazing piece of equipment. The serial number on mine puts it at an early 1974 build date and i got it from the original owner.

Furious_E
9/30/16 7:35 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: One word for you, Sea-foam. I guess two words. Or a compound word. I have one to two compound words for you. Sea-foam.

Yup, just dumped some in the tank the other night after changing the starter. I'll see if it helps, then probably still clean and/or rebuild the carb this winter.

Furious_E
9/30/16 7:37 a.m.

In reply to carzan:

Good tip on the bushings, thanks!

carzan
carzan Dork
9/30/16 8:38 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: In reply to carzan: Good tip on the bushings, thanks!

These are the ones I got.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/16 3:48 a.m.

At least it was cheap. When we bought the compound I went to Tractor Supply and plunked down $1100 in a brandy new Cub Cadet. On the first cut it threw the deck belt and shredded it. No one had a replacement in stock so it sat for two weeks. Next month another belt. CC says check the pulley alignment. On a machine that's been run for six hours. It checks out fine. At the end of the The belt would pop off at least once every time I used it over the next few years. They said my yard wasn't flat enough, it was too rocky, and numerous other problems with my property but their fabulous mower was never to blame. One afternoon the bar that holds the electric clutch in place popped off allowing it to spin and tear up itself and a bunch of wiring stalling out the tractor. Parts were going to be close to $400 that I didn't have. My wife called the guy that plows our driveway and he wanted $60 to mow and edge the yard. It was cheaper to have someone else mow the rest of the year than it was to fix the damn thing. 4 years later I still haven't fixed the piece of E36 M3.

Furious_E
10/1/16 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

Ouch! My next door neighbor at my old rental place bought a new Cub last year and seemed to have nothing but problems with it as well.

I briefly considered buying something new and doing payments on it, but between the thought of financing a lawnmower and my neighbors experience I decided against it. I can deal with a $200 dollar tractor having problems, but a $1200+ one? Hell no, I better not have to touch it with my tools in any serious manner for at least half a decade.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/1/16 3:23 p.m.

$1100 hasn't bought a decent new lawn tractor for at least a few decades..

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/16 3:52 p.m.

When I was looking for a rider, the new stuff was junk and $1000 and up.

I decided to buy a old mower and put that $1000 into rebuilding it.

I bought a 70s Sears mower, pulled the 11hp engine and replaced it with a brand new 17hp engine. Rebuilt the entire deck, new bearings, shafts, blades, belts, the works. It's been flawless every time it has been used, and all in was under $700.

The floppiness comes from the old school ladder frame. All the new stuff is one piece stamped sheet metal. It's stiffer, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

A little TLC goes a long ways on a old mower. And nobody want's them because they are ugly. You can buy them for a song. I think I paid $65 for mine.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/2/16 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

You two have got me thinking; What are the chances of the magazine starting a $20XX Lawn Mower Challenge...? In addition to being insanely fast and able to corner and stop, it would have to built from an actual mower chassis and also have to still cut grass!!! The Drag Race would be two separate challenges; standard drag strip phase, AND a Mowing drag phase of say 200 feet of 6 to 10 inch grass. And it would be rallycross rather than autocross, because lawn tractor. Thoughts anyone???

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nlL4MGdzzT2oAy2PbsEXh5a16fGtSs7jXKKNkSioRnXC1NTcn20GMCrEuxoMkwYh