czerka
czerka New Reader
4/18/20 10:02 a.m.

My refrigerator is leaking from the upper of the two blue lines.  The line says LLDPE 5/16 OD 230psi.  I was hoping I could get a length of tube and splice it in with a couple of union connectors but looking at the box store web sites, the stuff they have in stock is lower PSI.  The tubing is anywhere from 40 to 130 psi and the connectors are rated for 150psi.  There are "ice maker lines" that are rated for higher psi but are smaller diameter, they look to be 1/4in tube.  What can I get away with here until I can get someone that knows what they are doing out?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/18/20 1:35 p.m.

Disconnect water service to that fridge. There’s evidence of leaks in multiple places and you have wood floors. Don’t risk destroying your kitchen (ask me how I know).

old_
old_ HalfDork
4/18/20 1:47 p.m.

In reply to czerka :

Those lines go to the refrigerator water filter. There is no pump or anything in there that would increase the water pressure over your standard household pressure. Typically city water pressure is 50-70psi. Sometimes a little higher or lower but usually somewhere in that neighborhood. There is absolutely no reason you would need lines that were rated over 200psi.

Unfortunately 5/16 is kind of an odd size so fittings and tubing might be difficult to find. 

Looks like home depot should have what you need

Fittings https://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Guest-5-16-in-O-D-x-5-16-in-O-D-NPTF-Polypropylene-Push-to-Connect-Coupling-Fitting-803199/300753457

Tubing https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-16-in-O-D-x-3-16-in-I-D-x-10-ft-Pre-Cut-Polyethylene-Hose-HKP003-PE004/303132505

old_
old_ HalfDork
4/18/20 1:49 p.m.
nderwater said:

Disconnect water service to that fridge. There’s evidence of leaks in multiple places and you have wood floors. Don’t risk destroying your kitchen (ask me how I know).

This is a better idea! If the blue lines are leaking they are brittle and will probably keep springing leaks. If you really must have water at the refrigerator it would be a good idea to completely replace all the water lines.

czerka
czerka New Reader
4/18/20 6:04 p.m.

Thanks all.  I turned off the water to the fridge as recommended and will look into replacing the tubes later.

_
_ Dork
4/18/20 7:17 p.m.

You can splice new tubing in using John guest fittings, it's like a Chinese finger trap. I do this all day everyday for the last 15yrs. LG makes trash appliances. Those fridge lines are no exception. Heat baked, they crack and spew. Eliminate all of that tubing if you want to avoid repeating this repair. Sincerely, your neighborhood appliance t3ch.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NgeG5vB0rThFUfFEDhGr5C3nFTXFiyNARIjIwYj3MilxWkoSsWfbRLxQRv1iip4S