1 2
11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
4/16/21 5:09 p.m.

Here’s some beauties from early 70’s Ford.  Anti Establish Mint.  Lol. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/21 7:26 p.m.

Freudian Gilt! That's beautiful. And how has Hulla Blue not remained in the catalog?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
4/16/21 7:35 p.m.

Hearing Aid Beige was a Mercedes color for a while, replaced with Old Band Aid.

Keith Tanner
4/16/21 7:39 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

If you take a Sandy Beige Mini and paint the roof Old English White, it gets a real band-aid vibe going. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/17/21 4:01 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

I only ever learned colors from the crayola 8-pack. Other than that, I've used "baby E36 M3" to describe things in a wide array of green/brown/yellow. 

yes

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/17/21 4:15 a.m.

In reply to tomtomgt356 (Tommy) :

I always thought mauve was a high tone way of saying pink! Like you, I tend to keep it simple. And old girl friend (who was always asked why she was slumin' ) used to hit quite annoyed with me when I'd say things like that on purpose! I also poked fun at her brothers by calling their shirts "alligator" shirts. Those shirts had some odd colors, too. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/21 3:01 p.m.

I once had to replace a fender on my Second Gen (1987) RX-7...turns out there were three shades of white (Dover, 10th Anniversary, & something else).

Ring-Ring...

"Hank's Salvage Yard"

"Yes, hi, I see you've got a white passenger side fender for a second generation RX-7...is it Dover white?"

"Um, it's Berking white, do you want it or not"

frown

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
4/17/21 3:06 p.m.
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) said:

My wife always jokes that I can only see 10 colors: Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, white, grey, brown. I always call it whichever one of those is closest. I actually had to search to see what "mauve" was. I would just call that purple.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/17/21 3:40 p.m.

I like very dark blues and am a fan of Deep Wedgewood Blue fords.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/21 4:12 p.m.

Mars Red 

Sahara tan 

Tornado red

Will
Will UltraDork
4/17/21 4:24 p.m.

What happens when an AI names paint colors.

I like Turdly and Snowbonk.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/17/21 8:42 p.m.

My wife has a color she calls Glans Mauve. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/17/21 9:46 p.m.
Duke said:

My wife has a color she calls Glans Mauve. 

Hahahaha!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/19/21 9:20 a.m.
NickD said:

It wouldn't surprise me. Mopar always liked to toe the line. They named a color after a very controversial film (Curious Yellow) and they gave a car a name that pissed of Christian groups and forced it to be renamed (Demon).

Apparently the color somebody tried to name Statutory Grape was eventually released as Sassy Grass Green.

When I first bought my Dart, somebody had repainted it from the original W1 White to a weird pale yellow that looked more like something you'd see on an early '80s Ford - I called that color Lemon Juice Fog.

Speaking of white paint, BMW managed to give that an exciting name with Alpeinweiß - Alpine White. If you look closely at that one, it's pearlescent. And with their reds, Hellrot (translates to Light Red) inadvertantly makes red sound even more aggressive in English, but Zinnabarrot (Cinnabar Red) is also no slouch in the name department.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
4/19/21 9:41 a.m.

My C5 is draped in stunning Dick Beige Metallic. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
4/19/21 11:25 a.m.

When Saturn stopped making neat cars and started churning out boring corporate appliances one of their new colours was Electric Blue.

Electric Blue was the name of the skeezy strip club in my hometown.

My corolla is Camel Spit Brown.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/19/21 12:19 p.m.

Somehow, VW called this color traffic purple

Sure looks bubble gum pink to me. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/19/21 12:21 p.m.

The Scion "Hot Lava" color has the paint code H8R.

Hater orange.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
4/19/21 1:54 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I could gripe all day about the list of "colors" my car came in:

• Platinum White 
  • Solar Silver 
  • Modern Steel
  • Crystal Black 
  • Moonlit Forest 
  • Crimson 

4 out of 6 of those are grayscale. Moonlit Forest was barely green, and the Crimson was... not actually crimson. What a waste. I know it wasn't a very popular car, but they could have at least tried to make it interesting! 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/19/21 2:05 p.m.

We have a car in the shop right now that could be described as "Citrus blue"

'cause orangepeel.

Keith Tanner
4/19/21 3:23 p.m.
preach (fs) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Mazda has a really sick "candy apple" red recently. I am too lazy to look it up right now but man it is sweet. They also had a fantastic baby blue that Miatas wore for a while.

Soul Red, which they decided was too mellow so they amped it up into Soul Red Crystal about two years ago by taking a color that was 2 feet deep and making it 3 feet deep. It's an amazing color, made even more so by the fact that every other color on the ND Miata is booooooring.

The baby blue may have been Mariner (1990-93, aka "smurf") which was apparently taken off the old blue CA plates, or maybe Winning Blue which was used on the 2006 and was criminally underused.

Mazda has used multiple names for the same color in different markets a few times. Evolution Gold was also known as Evolution Orange (but never Metallic Baby Poop, which would have been more accurate). Innocent Blue was also called...Nagano Blue? I can never remember the US name.

When I want interesting colors, I go to the Lotus Elise palette. Names aren't exciting, though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PsSzuQIbU9MR9OF9BaGaZxEfxKgH6bzN4DebAfRshg8K4u3ytpRCCWIKfaEutRBF