1 2 3
joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
7/19/10 9:05 a.m.

I also new a guy with a car parts shop and he named his cat Otto. Otto parts.

Joey

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/19/10 9:08 a.m.

Tox O. Plasmosis.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
7/19/10 9:12 a.m.

Moo goo gai pan.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/19/10 9:56 a.m.

It really does not matter what you call it because it will berkeleying ignore you anyway unless its hungry.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/19/10 9:58 a.m.
Salanis wrote: The naming of cats is a curious matter...

Indeed.

Doesn't really matter what you call them; once they pass kittenhood, and become cats, they will never respond to anything you call them, anyway.

You think you own the cat, but it owns you.. you are just it's staff.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/19/10 9:58 a.m.
GregTivo wrote: Kitteh!! call her subie because she's four paw drive

Quattro!

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/10 10:14 a.m.

I dunno about that. Einstein actually responds to his name like a dog and will come running. He is not a normal cat though.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
7/19/10 10:16 a.m.
P71 wrote: I dunno about that. Einstein actually responds to his name like a dog and will come running. He is not a normal cat though.

Mr. Peach does the same.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/19/10 10:26 a.m.
P71 wrote: I dunno about that. Einstein actually responds to his name like a dog and will come running. He is not a normal cat though.

I have a cat that responds to his name by flying. Mostly because I'm usually picking him up and throwing him out of the way, while I'm yelling at him. I hate that damn cat, and the wife won't let me donate it to science.

DISCLAIMER- I don't hate/abuse animals in any way. I just really dislike THIS cat.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
7/19/10 10:41 a.m.

Friend's girlfriend just named her kitten "The Great Catsby" , so I guess they call it Catsby now.

Pseudosport
Pseudosport Reader
7/19/10 11:15 a.m.

My last cat was named Turbo.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/19/10 11:16 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Mr. Peach does the same.

I've got one (named Collins) that performs like that, but likes to play fetch, too. Definitely not normal.

The other one (Rascal - he was when he was kitten) bats about .500 when his name is called.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/19/10 11:25 a.m.
Lesley wrote: Oldsaw, just what in heck have you been feeding that cat?

Lesley, that's a pic of Spitz - lost him about four years ago. When I first got him, he could curl-up and sleep on a mouse pad; you'd still see the edges of the pad. He started, ummm, expanding after he was neutered and ultimately reached 31lbs.

That cat never received soft or canned food and had to share a bowl with his partner; the food was Iam's and was doled-out at 1.5-2 cups per day. Just one of those weird anomalies, I guess.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/19/10 11:30 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: It really does not matter what you call it because it will berkeleying ignore you anyway unless its hungry.

Ever actually lived with a cat, or do you always go by stereotyping? I have to scrape the damn things off me all the time. I wish they would be aloof once in a while.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot New Reader
7/19/10 11:48 a.m.

We (I) named our kitten Mikka Hakkitten.

TJ
TJ SuperDork
7/19/10 12:05 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: Lesley, that's a pic of Spitz - lost him about four years ago. When I first got him, he could curl-up and sleep on a mouse pad; you'd still see the edges of the pad.

I find the whole idea of a cat sleeping on a mouse pad funny. I can just imagine the conversation between the mice.....

"Hey do you want to head over to my pad?"

"no way, there's always a berkeleying cat waiting for us there!"

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/10 12:14 p.m.

My sister had an orange cat named "Sam". A few years after he died, they adopted a nearly identical looking stray.

They named him "Son of Sam".

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
7/19/10 12:47 p.m.

I think "Skidmark" would be a great name for a cat, though it doesn't seem to fit the one pictured.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/19/10 12:54 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: It really does not matter what you call it because it will berkeleying ignore you anyway unless its hungry.
Ever actually lived with a cat, or do you always go by stereotyping? I have to scrape the damn things off me all the time. I wish they would be aloof once in a while.

Maybe you smell like a Bob Costas :)

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
7/19/10 1:07 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Oh, you just earned 20,000 geek points for that one!

T.S. Eliot? tho' he said difficult, not curious.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/10 1:53 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I'm with P71 on that - live with her a little and name her on the personality traits that she develops.

+2 on this one. We picked one up off the side of the road, vet said she was maybe 3.5 weeks old. once we got her eating regular food it wasn't so bad. but she was a WILD kitten, always zipping around the house, wrestling with the dogs, generally flying everywhere she went. One day our neighbor came over and witnessed the flying terror, and dubbed her Zoomie, it stuck, now she's our Zoomie cat, and she answers to it, just like the dogs. She calmed down quite a bit at about the one year mark. She's still a nut though. I think she weighs maybe 5 or 6 lbs, (she stayed tiny) and still loves to kick the 20lb chihuahua's rear.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/10 1:54 p.m.

oh yeah she's even barked a few times....I guess that's what you get raising a cat in a house with 8 dogs.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
7/19/10 3:06 p.m.

We recently adopted a cat, his name was apparently "eddie". We are all now calling him "cousin Eddie"

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/19/10 5:57 p.m.
nutherjrfan wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Oh, you just earned 20,000 geek points for that one!
T.S. Eliot? tho' he said difficult, not curious.

Dangit'. My mistake.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west New Reader
7/19/10 6:15 p.m.

One of our cats still isn't named, and he's over a year old. None of the names we've tried have really stuck. It's currently Jesse James, the Outlaw, or just JJ for short. More often it's Trouble, because that's what he's always causing...

Just keep trying names, and eventually one will be right.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wAiJ5LzA3i2gj1d6xvLCcZtAxJ9yEJkWy9IzkF2KhafsBUshCRdglII68xGXyW7e