1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/22 12:23 p.m.

Mmmmm, butter tarts. Maybe a little more regional than Nanaimo bars. You can actually follow the Butter Tart Trail in Ontario cottage country. Or the competing Butter Tart Tour.

Spoiler: Best ones are found at Erica's in Dwight.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/22 6:35 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

I'm going to be in Nanaimo tomorrow though extremely late I've been travelling and may not be in Nanaimo until the wee small hours of Friday so no Nanaimo Bar in a Nanaimo bar for  me. By the time I hit Nanaimo I'll just want to get home.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/7/22 6:45 p.m.

I've never had a Nanaimo bar, but I've had lots of Nanaimo style Saskatchewan bars.  (Thanks Brent Butt).

I like mint ones, but maraschino cherry ones are berkeleying glorious.  I now await the people who think maraschino cherries are the devils work, but that's OK.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/7/22 7:16 p.m.

Nanaimo is the land of the mini-mall. They have more malls per capita than any other city in Canada.

They also don't seem to be able to erect buildings greater than 5 stories.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/22 7:48 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

Oh my gosh butter tarts.  I love those!

I live in Ontario in the summers.  Nanaimo bars are great, but good butter tarts are gooder.

The lady that used to run the kitchen at the lodge next door was a baker extraordinaire.  She made her butter tarts with a lard crust and butter that she churned from her own cows.  Sadly, she died when I was young, but her daughter had a bakery in town up until a few years ago.  That bakery closed and now her granddaughter makes them and sells them in the local grocery store.

Rae Cook, your legacy lives on (but sadly with a crisco crust)

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/24/22 10:32 a.m.

I'll just leave this here.

Keith Tanner
12/24/22 7:50 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I have tasked a Canadian friend of mine with acquiring a bottle. Janel wants to put it in her coffee :)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/22 8:04 p.m.

peanut butter ones for Xmas.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/24/22 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

It's great in hot chocolate too.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
12/25/22 7:44 a.m.

I have a coworker who's wife makes bacon butter tarts. 

Butter tarts are like pizza...

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/25/22 8:23 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to ShawnG :

I have tasked a Canadian friend of mine with acquiring a bottle. Janel wants to put it in her coffee :)

Say what you will about Quebeckers, but this would be quite fine in her coffee as well.  Maybe with a piece of sugar pie.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/25/22 9:55 a.m.

I forgot about sugar pie.

If you're not a diabetic, you will be after.

First time I had sugar pie was in a French Canadian diner in Vancouver called "Frenchies". 

The owner, Michel was talking to us and when I asked what sugar pie was, he sat down in the booth next to my wife, put his arm around her and said ( heavy quebecois accent). "She gon' be sweet tonight eh?"

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/25/22 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Nah you want to make a true Canadian coffee, double shot of Alberta Premium in a coffee mug fill with strong black coffee - done.

Keith Tanner
12/25/22 4:44 p.m.

I would argue that a true Canadian coffee is a large double double from the Timmies drive-through. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/25/22 6:07 p.m.

Alberta premium is rotgut.

Crown Royal all the way.

RevRico
12/25/22 6:38 p.m.

so I got this today for Xmas.

but this is the Nanaimo bar recipe, with custard powder and all

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/25/22 7:01 p.m.

You're on your way to being an honourary Canuckistanian.

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/25/22 7:51 p.m.

A few weeks ago I sent my wife a link to this thread, and today we had Nanaimo bars for the first time. Thumbs up all around!

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
12/26/22 7:57 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Crown Royal all the way.

The opposite is, in fact, true. Crown Royal is the tilapia of hooch. Alberta Premium is actually Rye whiskey. Crown is a pleasant melange of cough syrup and anti-freeze with a splash of aftershave to round off the sharp edges.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/26/22 8:44 a.m.
akamcfly said:
ShawnG said:

Crown Royal all the way.

The opposite is, in fact, true. Crown Royal is the tilapia of hooch. Alberta Premium is actually Rye whiskey. Crown is a pleasant melange of cough syrup and anti-freeze with a splash of aftershave to round off the sharp edges.

This is probably why, despite being a third generation whiskey drinker, I have a half full bottle of crown with a tax stamp from 1977

RevRico
12/26/22 9:08 a.m.
akamcfly said:
ShawnG said:

Crown Royal all the way.

Crown is a delicious chugging liquor, so you must be talking about those flavored bullE36 M3 things with the Crown logo on them. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
12/26/22 11:20 a.m.

I'm going to have to interrogate the Canadian I have captive down here and find out why I haven't been offered these yet.

Ok, she isn't captive, she's a snowbird, but I'm not happy about these being held back.

Keith Tanner
12/26/22 1:33 p.m.
RevRico said:

so I got this today for Xmas.

but this is the Nanaimo bar recipe, with custard powder and all

Mine is not the Ultimate edition, I guess they updated it :)

RevRico
12/26/22 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I'm just happy this one isn't trying to spell out dry ingredients in milliliters. 

Keith Tanner
12/26/22 2:09 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

As opposed to measuring liquid in ounces?

Dry ingredients in mL is legit for amateur cooks, a litre is a measure of volume. Not just liquid, volume. If it helps, 1 mL = 1 cubic centimeter. But measuring cups are marked in mL, so, you don't see cc very often :) 1 cup = 250 mL(ish).  It's more accurate to use mass instead of volume but that's not how most people work in the kitchen.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1sk24AJSH78QFUJkBcMka0PNFQ8QoGGkUeWAvbWyTlkKXBFlztpPDwfbMHSpGAHt