1 2 3 4
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/21 9:10 p.m.

Now he's sleeping on his back like a dog.

"Rabbits only sleep four hours a day and they are extremely light sleepers"

Nobody told Bean.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/18/21 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That's a very secure feeling sleep position. 

It's funny as in the most recent picture you took of him outside he looks like, there's all the grass and clover that I can eat out here, and there's space for zoomies, but everything else out here wants to eat me. Maybe I can just visit but stay inside to sleep, rest, have all the water and sweet sugary fruit. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/21/21 11:47 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Definitely feels secure in the house around his people!

He's getting big fast.

Growing like a weed. More wiggly than cuddly these days.  Almost done with milk, I think.  We took him outside yesterday and he ran UNDER the car, not away.

He's almost 2 handfuls now. Big.

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/21/21 7:29 p.m.

DEFINITELY wiggleworm.  He reminds me of when I used to catch toads when I was a kid.  I'm too afraid of hurting him to hold him tightly enough to keep him from sproinging, and I don't want to let him run off because the dogs are curious and I'm not sure exactly why.

He's at least twice a long as he was when I first saw him (thread OP) and VERY active.

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/21/21 10:05 p.m.

He only likes two people holding him now, and I'm not one of them.  Oh well.  (Look how BIG he is getting!)

Very curious about the world around him but he does not like being outside.  He likes when the outside is brought in for him though!

6/21/21 10:17 p.m.

He's definitely at the hold while sitting or when on the ground size and level of wiggle. 

He's smart, outside he's a meal to everything he'll be curious, but until next year, when lady bunnies catch his fancy, he'll likely think inside is safer, if not as exciting. He's entering full exploration mode. He'll need to be watched at all times to be kept away from wires, as he'll be able to chomp through them in 2 chomps. Discovering the magic of the world under the cabinets is becoming more likely at that size as well. Keep lots of bananas around as bribery will be needed more often then not soon. He'll still be super cute, and incredibly funny, but he's about to become an shiny happy person who knows that he can get away with just about anything because he's cute.

6/21/21 10:20 p.m.

Also, he'd probably take to litter box training at this point. Ironically they take to it better than domestic rabbits as it helps shield their scent. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/21/21 10:28 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

The problem is the dogs - he does NOT like being outside of his bunny bin unless the dogs are outside.  He's still kinda too little to be left to roam around.  When he goes outside he doesn't feel safe enough to roam around, though.  But yes, VERY curious about the world around him!

He already seems to be sort of litter trained - if you're holding him and he gets really agitated, that means put him down 'cause he's got to go.  And he only likes going in his bunny bin.

Bunny bin is lined with old shirts (they smell like the people he's comfortable with, so he loves it), some timothy hay (he LOVES the stuff), and he has a Kleenex box that he made a little safety hideyhole in, and some toilet paper rolls that he's figured out are good for chewing on.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/21/21 11:00 p.m.

Second the cords thing.

We had a house bunny for a while. Litter box trained and everything.

He chomped through a cord one day and had burnt teeth for a while. He was ok, a little surprised and smelly but ok.

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/22/21 7:43 p.m.

Pictures from last night.

Fig. 1: Bean getting ready to try to sproing away from Pete.

Bean and his preferred human.  He's the one with the food

6/22/21 10:06 p.m.

By the end of this weekend, he's going to be getting into everywhere and everything, at least when the dogs are out. 

This is also when they're most fun, no longer on formula needing feedings throughout the night, they've shown flashes of an ornery personality, but will still enjoy cuddling and head scratches without much fuss or bribing. Soon nearly everything will be a negotiation laugh but that's healthy and normal (and it will be begrudgingly and at times frustratingly hilarious). 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/22/21 10:15 p.m.

Now I'm missing our old house bunny. But two cats and a dog that likes to chase small furry things nixes that idea. But maybe again someday.

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/25/21 4:42 p.m.

Got photodumped today.

Definitely looking more rabbit-like now instead of large mouse or small Manx squirrel.  (We had a tailless squirrel around our house last year, she was kind of a little thing too)

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/30/21 7:35 p.m.

Got this text today.

Sad day good day, Bean just left for his growed up life in the wild

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/30/21 7:47 p.m.

We took bean outside to see what he would do bc he was antsy pantsy and kept looking all sad and zoomy.  And he kinda wandered for a bit.  But when we encouraged him away from the cars, he kept going.  Around the corner.  Into the neighbors' out back. 

Sweet older eastern european couple.  Apparently the wife says they drink coffee out back and the buns come out and eat while they're sitting outside.

So when bean went hoppin down her driveway toward the backyard, we let him go.  He be ok. He wants to go be bun.

He was scared AF for a minute.  He HATED the wet ground laughlaughlaugh

Then he just hopped right off toward her little quiet backyard garden that's all fenced in and pet-free.

So sure, go on and be a bun.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That's awesome! We do some occasional wildlife rehab & there are often people who fail at it because they can't let *their* babies go. 

Fortunately these two will be heading to another rehabber in about a month. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/30/21 2:32 p.m.

Was hanging out there last night and there was an adult rabbit hanging out next the driveway in their front lawn.  He kinda moseyed away when I drove by.

I mentioned this.  "That was Bean!  He comes up to us when we come home from work.  He'll get about two feet away from you then his instincts take over and he runs away.  Well, not runs so much as lopes, with his gimpy leg"

Bean be doing good.

Then I got this text today.

Dogs got out while I was gone. Found the nest. Started yanking babies out. T had to PULL Ellie by the collar bc she was in the pitbull zone. Lil bugger has a pretty good tear in his skin on his neck, but it looks mostly superficial. So we'll see if he makes it.

Yeah. You can see things you shouldn't see. But not bleeding and when I put alcohol on it he LAUNCHED from T's hands to the couch lol

So. Another fighter I think

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/2/21 5:35 p.m.

Introducing Colonel Mustard.

No, I don't know who is naming them.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/2/21 5:50 p.m.

We had a couple of our males get together in a way that I started referring to them as miniature fighting horses. ( digestive tract is closer to a horse than anything else)

Well one got torn open pretty well and my daughter freaked. We headed to the vet and she told us it will scab over and the flap of skin will dry up and fall off.  They have such thin stretchy skin the vet said they are almost self peeling animals in surgery.

New bunny should be fine if it is only surface damage.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/2/21 7:20 p.m.

The Colonel does not like bottles.  He prefers to get the milk all over the place and lick it up.

He also likes chewing on beards.

And now, just now, he discovered the joy of bananas!  OMG he was all nomnomnom like it is bunny crack

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/2/21 10:16 p.m.

Recap from the Rant thread.

berkeleying shiny happy person dog.

So I am at bunnydad's house, and he had to leave to pick up Kid Unit #2 from work.  I am chilling, checking eBay for more stuff I don't need, when I hear the back door bell ring.  He has his dogs trained to ring the bell when they need to go out, so I get dog and leash, set him out there.

He wanders around, not leaving waste, but I figure, eh, maybe he needs to shake it out?  Then he takes an interest in one section, and just as I start to call out to him asking what's up, I hear a baby bunny yelling.

DAMMIT DOG GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW.

He knows I am pissed off at him, he also doesn't give a E36 M3.

Later, after he got home, and I recapped the story, and he mentions when his other dog attacked the nest, there was one that ran off so this is probably it.  We're sitting there, and then he's like, okay, I really don't want to know, but I gotta know.  So we get flashlights and I show him where shiny happy dog was snooping around.   We're poking around, and pulling some of the taller grass out of the way, and then he sees a small brown dot.  Pull all the grass away, and he picks up this little thing.  Little thing doesn't care about being picked up.  "He's okay!"  Quick, inside to the house, make up a fresh batch of milk...

Turns out "he" is a she.   Of course, her name is Mrs. Peacock.  After a more thorough checkout for injuries (none apparent), we took turns holding her while she tried to figure out how to eat milk from a bottle.  She ate a little bit and then just conked the heck out in my hand.  So we took her to the bin where her brother is kept and they instantly started snuggling and grooming each other.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/3/21 11:52 a.m.

Photo dump from a camera less failtastic than my bottom-rung Lenovo.

I swear that I do in fact own more than one shirt.

Mrs. Peacock and Colonel Mustard having a snuggle.

Text today.

Bad news. Peacock is hurt, not doing so well. Her back leg is torn like colonels front. She bled pretty bad overnight but the more I squooze her the more she comes around so maybe just shock and pain

Dammit dog.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/3/21 1:06 p.m.

She's gone.  crying  The wound was full of maggots.  They must've got in the wound outside. I started trying to rinse them out but she just died right in my hands. Poor babe

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/3/21 3:11 p.m.

sad That sucks. I know it's natural for dogs to chase smaller animals, but...it still sucks.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/21 4:15 p.m.

My German Shepherd used to like to catch them and bring them home unhurt. Did that with birds, too.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VienAJnbirP2HbDSLH0q1zjOFb8CvJPwr4c2j5EnRayad10vztdyufJcQVAtVMao