1 2
NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
8/4/08 5:56 p.m.

Ditto on the pussies comment; F1 is where it's at.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/4/08 9:19 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: Ditto on the pussies comment; F1 is where it's at.

F1 is just as boring as Nascar, possibly even more of a snore. Nothing exciting ever happens in those races except for a few accidents and maybe one or two exciting passes.

Speed GT, Speed Touring, Koni Challenge, ALMS, and GA are where it's at! I will have to note..Speed GT race at Sebring got called early this year due to standing water and visibility as well.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/4/08 9:28 p.m.

I honestly aviod the top line racing as it just doesn't feel as exciting as the lower leval stuff.

I realized this when I was watching funny cars last month. those guys(and women) and the cars they use are just to good. This leval of perfecrtion(?) makes it a bit dull.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
8/5/08 7:49 a.m.

There are a lot of arguments both for and against Nascar racing in the rain. But if they do decided to race in the rain then just maybe I'd watch it. Otherwise (like someone else said) there just skittles in a toilet bowl to me.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/5/08 9:53 a.m.

Motorcycles race in the rain. They've only got two wheels.

WHAT'S UP?!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/08 9:54 a.m.

They can only do half the hydroplaneing

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/5/08 10:41 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Motorcycles race in the rain. They've only got two wheels. WHAT'S UP?!

Those guys are nucking futs in the first place. Rain is just a mere nuisance to them.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/5/08 10:50 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote:
Xceler8x wrote: Motorcycles race in the rain. They've only got two wheels. WHAT'S UP?!
Those guys are nucking futs in the first place. Rain is just a mere nuisance to them.

Agreed, they are nucking futz. But there's a litle more to it. The bike's tire profile is rounded and the contact patch is pretty small and shaped differently compared to a car (it's more oval where a car's patch is square) meaning that it doesn't hydroplane as readily. Not to say that they won't, because believe me they will.

Trivia: A few years ago at Daytona, a lot of the bike teams were having trouble with rear tires blistering. They discovered that at 190 MPH on the straights, the rear tire was actually spinning at approximately 205 MPH. No wonder the tires were blistering!

Xceler8x
8/5/08 12:22 p.m.

I agree they are nuts but it shows that driving in the rain can be done. It will be a completely different race and some factors will be out of NASCAR's control.

..and there is the crux of the argument.

It's a no win for NASCRAP.

They can't pick the winner.

The fans won't show up.

I'm one fart smeller...I mean smart feller.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/5/08 3:22 p.m.

Driving fast in the rain is scary on the street for me. And crewing during a rain race is scary too. Just waiting for the "I just put it in the wall" call from the driver...

I see nothing appealing about watching or participating in wet-weather racing.

well...I guess we have my opinion established...

Clem

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
8/5/08 3:41 p.m.

And as I mentioned, there are a lot of tracks that the AMA has on a "no race" list if it rains, due to safety issues and lack of runoff. So the motorcycle guys don't always race in the rain, either.

How much runoff do you see on a high banked superspeedway or even a short track oval?

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/5/08 3:56 p.m.

There was a ton of standing water in Canada at that NASCAR race. No series would have run there. Well, maybe the APBA (American Power Boat Association).

Xceler8x
8/5/08 9:06 p.m.

So we don't run the sedans when there is standing water on the track. Give the drivers bass boats and get on with it!

I'm really only half kidding here. NASCAR has a profitable series that wouldn't see nearly as much profit in a wet race.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
8/5/08 9:46 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I'm one fart smeller...I mean smart feller.

Another quote for the Magazine... LOL

Carson
Carson Reader
8/5/08 10:57 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: They ran a rain race back in the '60's I believe it was, this wasn't their first.

I don't doubt that at all. They were stock cars not "stock" cars. Modified stock cars but still based on production cars.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
8/6/08 9:53 a.m.
Carson wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: They ran a rain race back in the '60's I believe it was, this wasn't their first.
I don't doubt that at all. They were stock cars not "stock" cars. Modified stock cars but still based on production cars.

It was some point in the '60's when they went to tube frames, but I'm not sure of the exact date. They still had to use a lot of the stock sheet metal though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ltg6wmlITQYRWglu9zn8EdDjoS2MKAutzXkpKrZKb83EfINcVdYReIHSA2kgBfU0