1 2
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/5/20 10:07 a.m.

I am not really a Basketball fan but I did find it interesting that the NBA approved  a 22-team format to finish the  season , with the idea that players will Quarantine  for about 10 weeks at  Disney world .

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29267294/source-nba-approves-plan-return-orlando

I know its not the same since they are making millions of dollars  but  what do you think and is there anyway you would do something like this for your job ?

Stay safe

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/5/20 10:11 a.m.

As you said, it is not the same. If I had a very short window for my career as a professional athlete does, I would be doing everything possible to continue that career while I'm able. 

Is there any way I would do this? Yes, but I can't tell you exactly what the situations would be. Sliding scale, obviously. You put me up in Disney World? Yeah, I'd be considering it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/5/20 11:51 a.m.

I might have a little inside on this whole thing. Where they're likely to end up as of right now, definitely not the worst they could do, especially considering they just finished a whole new tower for it and lots of new stuff. Id quarantine there for my current salary. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/5/20 12:08 p.m.

James Harden your team just lost in the first round of the playoffs, what are you going to do now?

I'm getting kicked out of Disney world.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/5/20 12:13 p.m.

Finally we can get the Championship this year. Happy about that. 

Given the amount of salary loss the NBA players were having, most don't have a choice, given their lifestyle of living paycheck to paycheck (some of the players). They will all play. 

Would I work, if provided a bubble to live in, top notch food, accommodations? Sure. But they will have to give space for my mistress as well. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/5/20 1:04 p.m.

They did say the players could go Golfing !

10 weeks is a long time to be away from the rest of the world , 

I wonder if they will need to put XXL ankle bracelets ,  There was a story of a British Soccer  player that went AWOL to go to the store to pick up a few things !

It will be interesting to see  if this works ,  there sure will be some interesting stories !

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/5/20 2:00 p.m.

If I got paid a bonus I would.  

how about a gamble?  Buy a chunk of life insurance for me more than I have now or guarantee a 36 month income stream to my wife if I die today. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/11/20 7:12 p.m.

Small update for the 4 people interested- sounds like the most up to date version has the entire NBA at yacht and beach club. They're staffing up for that as is. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/11/20 7:39 p.m.

is there a beach near Orlando ?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/11/20 7:48 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

is there a beach near Orlando ?

Cocoa and Clearwater are about an hour/hour and a half either due east or due west, depending. Cocoa is for sure the closest to Disney. Hop on 528 and rip. 

Error404
Error404 Reader
6/11/20 8:17 p.m.

For NBA money? Sure. For my miserly pittance? Yea, not much else you can do when bills are still due.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/11/20 8:29 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

If I got paid a bonus I would.  

how about a gamble?  Buy a chunk of life insurance for me more than I have now or guarantee a 36 month income stream to my wife if I die today. 

Outside of a few guys, 19-39 year olds with access to healthcare we can only dream, and literally being some of the most fit people on the planet, it'a not real concern for those guys.

Gobert was going to play the day he tested positive because he said he felt fine, KD has no effects, etc.

Granted support staff and older coaches may be at risk because of ages and other conditions.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/11/20 8:31 p.m.

They did also say their familiar can join after the first round of the playoffs.

As much as I really enjoy the NBA, as far as the players are concerned, average salary is nearly $8 million per.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/11/20 8:48 p.m.

Quarantining at Disney World sounds no worse than Quarantining at my own house.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/11/20 9:01 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

You got a 6' tall rodent wandering around your house?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/11/20 9:05 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

You got a 6' tall rodent wandering around your house?

No, but if you combine the two I have, they are about 6 ft!

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/12/20 6:03 a.m.

Isn't quarantining at Disney world what the rest of us pay thousands for and call it a "vacation"?

I mean, I'm about to be in forced quarantine for almost 3 weeks so they can cut on my guts. And I have to pay THEM for the privilege. Those guys got nothing to complain about.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/12/20 7:04 a.m.

Well, I can say one thing. The internal went around last night as to the final choices for where they're going to be. I was given the "you don't know this but..." Speech so I probably shouldn't say, but it's not exactly going to be a bad time. They've definitely got the best rooms across property. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/20 7:14 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Quarantine at disney is what hell must be like.  

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/12/20 8:06 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

No sir. Quarantining at Disney sounds wonderful. It has taken the worst part of DW out of the equation - the people.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/12/20 8:18 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

No sir. Quarantining at Disney sounds wonderful. It has taken the worst part of DW out of the equation - the people.

And also the $$$.

A mostly empty resort.  No chores.  Meals prepared for you.  berkeley. yes.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
6/12/20 8:50 a.m.

Offshore oil workers, wind turbine installation crews, and airmen at remote bases do this, why wouldn't a basketball player want to, in order to enjoy the one part of their life that's able to go on normally? It'll still be 10' to the basket, 84' from baseline to baseline, 12 minutes from the start of the quarter to the end. Yes, the normal fans won't be there, but what coach isn't going to want his team watching future opponents to get hyped up before their game?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/12/20 9:21 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

This. I know Patrick and I will never agree on wdw, that's totally fine. But the worst part isn't even Disney. It's the people. It's the main reason I need to get out of Orlando. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
6/12/20 4:11 p.m.

Quarantine for my work?  I already did that on a West Pac cruise in the Navy.  Me and about 900 other guys, not counting the Marines, I guess about two or three times as many of those guys along for the ride at times.  6 months or so, out and back, but it was never 10 weeks between ports, so maybe a bad example.  I don't think we ate as good as those NBA guys, especially when we had been out to sea for a while.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/25/20 12:52 p.m.

Well Mr. Bradley locally decided to forgoe $600,000 and not go to Orlando to play, due to he doesn't want to bring Covid home to his son. 

With all the high numers in FL, be interesting to see what happens.

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
iVhckqIefLCjB7GEZEzwRx9cGz8QtWYUq2uMaHQwaS3LYlX7Uqj4PVEaXWcFVggN