HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
6/28/10 9:23 a.m.

HappyAndy's underground, back-ally, after-hours garage has been repairing a lot more late model cars than ever before, so I feel like its time to get an OBD2 scanner. I could use some advice as to which ones are the most usefull for a wide range of makes and easy to use.

Since I plan on taking as much work as I can get, I don't mind buying a more expensive scanner if its realy better than the cheepies, but I've also found lots of tools in-which more expensive is just more expensive and not truly any better than a similar tool from a lower profile brand (think snap-on vs SK or cornwell), so if any one in GRM land has experience with several different scanners I'd realy like to hear your opinions on them. Thanks. Andrew.

Ranger50
Ranger50 New Reader
6/28/10 9:51 a.m.

Depends on what you want. Do you need just OBD1 and OBD2 code reading, data stream, ABS, Trans, body codes?

The scanners from MAC, Cornwell, and some of the Matco tools are really rebranded OTC's with an inflated price. If you ask nicely at the local Advance commercial counter or similar, they will have a tool catalog with the available scanners, typically OTC, they can get. A few months ago you could get the OBD1/2 OTC Genisys system for a touch under $1800 from Advance.

If all you really need is a code reader, Advance is selling the Actron 9180, this is what my local Advance attempts to use, for 50% off plus if you buy online you can save another 10% with the listed coupon code.

Brian

PS- I almost forgot, the SnapOn MT2500, aka "The Red Brick". You can find those for under 500 with all the cables and cartridges still. This was the top of the line scanner up until everything changed in 04-ish with CAN bus.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/28/10 10:05 a.m.

I bought the top of the line HF scanner. It has worked fine on a Porsche, Audi and my and other Toyotas.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
6/28/10 11:54 a.m.

I have an MTG-2500, and its great for the DIY guy. I have mine updated to 08 with an Ebay cartridge, and the 2 way communication is really nice.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/28/10 12:31 p.m.

I have been thinking of getting one of these for a while and this thread got me looking again. I did find the HF/Autel one for cheap here:

Scanner

I think I am going to pull the trigger and pick one up. Thanks

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
6/29/10 7:25 a.m.

I'm only looking to scan engine codes at this point, so it sound like the H-F scanner might be a good starting point, and wouldn't cha know it, but I've got this magizine at home that has H-F coupons in it too

jde
jde Reader
6/29/10 9:24 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: If all you really need is a code reader, Advance is selling the Actron 9180, this is what my local Advance attempts to use, for 50% off plus if you buy online you can save another 10% with the listed coupon code.

Thanks for the heads up, as I'd been kicking around getting an Actron reader. UPS will be dropping one off shortly. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I79rroFrdAgyGG4cvxc5mkt6ELt65v0UeIP8bRkkEdxPCM2Q6blNZ6kpZNct3p4K