DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/28/13 7:02 p.m.

My 11-year old bought a 1st gen ipod touch. He's excited! Then we realize the IOS is too old to run Minecraft. My question to you folks is, if I jailbreak it, can I go from IOS 3.X.X to 5.X or even 6?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/13 7:29 p.m.

According to everyipod.com:

"This model is not capable of running versions of the operating system beyond iPhone OS 3.1.3."

I don't think that jailbreaking will help in this case.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/28/13 8:11 p.m.

That's kinda what I thunk. Thanks.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/13 8:49 p.m.

You might be able to load a working version from Cydia after you jalbreak it.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/13 9:30 p.m.

I cant help you with the jailbraking, but I have a question. I have a 7, 5 and 2 year old. The 7 and the 5 year olds were introduced to Minecraft by my BIL. They are addicted and it started worrying me so I dont let them play it that much. I dont know much about the game, but I know they dont play with other players.

Whats your take on the game? And sorry to derail the thread.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/28/13 9:49 p.m.

my take on the game... I don't get it... but the creative mode really seems to be the digital age of playing with Legos... my son (8 y/o) can spend Hrs building houses, roller coasters and other things on it... fun to watch...

motomoron
motomoron Dork
8/28/13 10:01 p.m.

And here I was thinking "They're always onto the file in the birthday cake; put hacksaw blades in churros".

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/29/13 7:12 a.m.
Slippery wrote: I cant help you with the jailbraking, but I have a question. I have a 7, 5 and 2 year old. The 7 and the 5 year olds were introduced to Minecraft by my BIL. They are addicted and it started worrying me so I dont let them play it that much. I dont know much about the game, but I know they dont play with other players. Whats your take on the game? And sorry to derail the thread.

No problem on the derail. My kids love it but we do limit the amount they play it, but that's just to keep them from being overly introverted, anti-social kids. It it like digital legos. But, they only play the creative mode so there's no issue with a predator finding them.
Funny thing is, I heard about it and d'loaded it. I messed around with it for a few minutes and thought "this isn't a game. It's nothing really" and meant to delete it. My kids found it and with no instruction at all are building houses, underground rivers, all kinds of stuff.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/29/13 7:12 a.m.
turboswede wrote: You might be able to load a working version from Cydia after you jalbreak it.

You think so? If I jailbreak it and I can't run IOS5, I can just restore the ipod and all is well, right?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/29/13 8:14 a.m.

Minecraft seems to be taking over every kid I know from about 7 through early teens. If we'd let her our 12 year old would be on it 12 hours a day. She plays creative on her tablet and goes to her friend’s house to interact with others. Big argument yesterday as the friends brother came in and started burning down their barn and letting the animals out or something. Kid brothers used to smash up forts or Lego’s, now they smash them up on line! YEs, time limiting is important or you will lose them.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
8/29/13 8:17 a.m.

Minecraft is a funny thing. I guess the most accurate brief description I've heard is "digital sandbox." When I first saw it, I didn't understand the appeal. After watching what my kids were doing with it, I found myself rather impressed with it. It can be a building activity, an exercise in survival, a multiplayer deathmatch, or pretty much whatever.

Naturally, youtube videos abound. Here are two rather amazing ones.

Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" in Minecraft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuR5jMwQmpk

Basic Digital Circuits in Minecraft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itNiF9KExzA

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/13 9:20 a.m.

You can always restore a jailbroken device back to its original state if you can't do what you want to with it, yes.

Doing a bit of browsing around- check this out: http://www.whited00r.com/iPodTouch1G

The good news: It looks like it gets you many of the features of the newer OS revisions

The 'bad' news: They outright say that apps designed for iOS4+ won't work on the older devices due to the architecture changes in the CPU: http://www.whited00r.com/forum/index?action=faq;sa=show;faqid=2

Possible salvation: That same page has info on what looks like a way to find older version of the apps, which might allow you to find one that will work on the older devices: App Time Machine http://www.whited00r.com/tutorial-apptimemachine

I'm actually going to be looking into whited00r myself when I get home- I have an older Touch myself that I used to use to power my iOS-dock alarm clock... but a recent revision to the iHome app that interfaces with it dropped support for the older firmware so I've not been able to use it anymore. This might get me the ability to use the old Touch again.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/13 9:20 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
turboswede wrote: You might be able to load a working version from Cydia after you jalbreak it.
You think so? If I jailbreak it and I can't run IOS5, I can just restore the ipod and all is well, right?

Yes.

However, I wasn't saying that you could upgrade the OS to iOS5, I was saying that you might be able to get a version of Minecraft that would work on the OS version that you've got from the Cydia app store that comes on jailbroken devices. This can happen and you can check on the Cydia store to double check if you'd like.

http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums/minecraft-server-discussion/400948-minecraft-itouch.html

viola!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
8/29/13 9:33 a.m.

I will add that the latest full version of minecraft is a resource pig and won't run worth a poop on a system with less than 1 GB of RAM. 4GB is probably a more realistic minimum.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/29/13 10:40 a.m.

I play Minecraft with my kids. I perfer playing survival mode but the boys like Creative. Time limiting is good but I think the creative aspect of the game is good for the kids.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
8/29/13 3:04 p.m.

A file hidden inside a frosted cake. Is usually a good start.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/30/13 12:16 a.m.

I'd say ask Thin Lizzy, but Phil Lynott has been dead for some time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h5PTH5Z5eFvYH9OTt3owUFUyhwaZnqTXqZGuwluJgaldq4cBS40vNkgsbAgSBZkQ