fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
6/25/08 8:13 p.m.

Can't get this site to load in either IE7 or FF 2.0.x - http://66.213.126.226:8000/

It's the local library card catalog page and it works fine from everywhere but home so I'm guessing it is some kind of firewall setting or something. Where should I start checking or changing things?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/25/08 8:20 p.m.

You've got a couple of odd things going there.. First, that URL is a raw IP plus port. You could try removing the port (the :8000 part), but just the raw IP takes you to a different part of the site.

What happens when you try to go in through the front of the site then clicking through to the catalog: http://www.wilmington.lib.oh.us/

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
6/25/08 8:50 p.m.

IE7 "Cannot display the webpage" when clicking from the link on the main page and then displays the address in my above post in the address bar. Tried this on an XP machine and a Vista machine both running IE7 here at home.

FF times out and gives me the same IP address in the address bar.

What is the ":8000" part - what does it do or mean?

Tim, does it work for you?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/25/08 8:56 p.m.

the :8000 is the port... pretty typical web port.

You could try maybe clearing your cookies for the site, but I'd say their web team has done something funky. Complain to them.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
6/25/08 8:58 p.m.

Works perfectly on my Vista system with FF 2.x and IE7.

Black Stig
Black Stig New Reader
6/25/08 9:06 p.m.

works here, Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3

Photobucket

Did get a lost packet on the ping test, trace route was fine, I think the error lies somewhere in your connection, firewalls? spyware filters? norton?!?!?! I hate norton . . .LOL!

-Stig

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
6/25/08 9:41 p.m.

We did get somekind of DSL modem/router/WAP from Verizon with our new DSL service - I've been checking out it's settings but can't find anything super obvious (not 100% sure what I'm looking for anyway).

Similar page on another local library seems to work fine on my XP/IE7 machine.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
6/25/08 10:01 p.m.

Seem to have it isolated to the firewall in my Verizon thingy. Turning it all off lets the page load.

Service Port

NETBIOS-SSN 139
DNS 53
EPMAP 135
PROFILE 136
NETBIOS-NS 137
NETBIOS-DGM 138
MICROSOFT-DS 445
SNMP 161
LDAP 389
MICROSOFT-GC 3268

So which of these should I allow in/out to keep this page working without turning the entire firewall off?

nymalo
nymalo GRM+ Member
6/25/08 10:24 p.m.

You do not want any of those ports open inbound from the Internet! Having ports open TO the Internet is not usually risky. Some how your firewall is blocking port 8000 outbound.

Mark

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
6/26/08 5:43 a.m.

Right above the list of services and ports and check boxes it says this....

Verizon Firewall Software said:Note: If a check appears in a box, that service is open (or allowed). An empty box signifies the service is closed (or blocked). Any Services not listed below are allowed.

And since it doesn't list a port 8000 it should be open by default, right? And yes, I'm only talking about outgoing ports.

Black Stig
Black Stig New Reader
6/26/08 10:30 p.m.

And what have we learned from all of this?

That's correct!

Stig is always right!

LOL!

-Stig

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
996tKsz2XOzSFLltnVtBW6210woGjk19fBoXxCYGWGSVlHreVFdfpaz8VymVuLUc