1 2
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/12/18 4:14 p.m.

Decided just now that im taking the wife away this weekend.  We need some "us" time. 

Problem is no idea where.

Max budget for the weekend is 500 (the entirety of my hot rod fund)

Located near Charlotte nc.

Wife likes beach, i like mountains. 

No camping or flying.

Leave friday after work. Return sunday afternoon for church council meeting. 

Im drawing a blank. 

Ideas?????

wae
wae Dork
3/12/18 4:40 p.m.

We stayed at a little place in the mountains called the Balsam Mountain Inn that was fabulous for a weekend getaway.  This was a couple years ago and at the time, there was basically no cell service there, a terrific restaurant, and just a delightful old hotel with books to read, games to play, and puzzles to work on.  For "doing things", it's right outside Asheville, maybe a 15-20 minute drive I think.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/18 4:41 p.m.

are you hippie enough for Asheville?  i've never been there but i hear it's cool.

is Greenville SC too close to consider "away"?   i friggin' love that town!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/12/18 4:43 p.m.

rent a lake house somewhere that requires a bit of a drive. Cook good food and drink good wine. Always works for us.

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/12/18 4:51 p.m.

Asheville is cool.  Lots of good beer, music and food

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/18 4:53 p.m.

Maggie Valley?  Wheels through time museum, some nice dinner, then

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/12/18 5:02 p.m.

In reply to wae :

That sounds neat. Ill look at Asheville events.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/12/18 5:03 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Ive only ever been to Greenville for car parts. Give me why you love it!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/12/18 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

God i hope so.....

However, that's not the purpose. Purpose is for us to be husband and wife instead of mom and dad. 

We'r always up for a good museum and historical stuff. However, not one of her strong interests. So, other stuff there?

untchabl
untchabl Reader
3/12/18 5:15 p.m.

OBX, specifically Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil's Hills area. We've been there a couple times now and really like it. We go in the "off season" like now or late fall and there are no crowds. Good food places, cool stuff to see/do and prices are good right now. 

Text or call me if you want more info/specifics. I'm not much of a beach guy but I love the OBX.

Maggie Valley ain't bad but alot of stuff closes in the off season including Wheels thru Time, but it's a cool place to check out. Definitely cough up the $$ to go to Biltmore if you're in the area and have never been.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/12/18 5:32 p.m.

Never been to the Biltmore.  

Obx is just too far away for this weekend, unfortunately.  Beach is appeling to me for seafood, but thats about it. 

Im liking the idea more and more of the Asheville area, and theres a bunch of things going on that are definitely outside of our normal.

Neither of us drink at all, so keep that in mind. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/12/18 5:38 p.m.

Savannah, GA? No personal experience, but it's seems like the type of place most wives would enjoy. Old town charm, near the beach, relaxed atmosphere, etc. Probably under 4 hours from you. 

https://www.roamaroo.com/savannah-georgia/

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/12/18 5:47 p.m.

Just Outside Pittsburgh pa.

We can wrench on race cars, I can give you that stuff for your swap, the ladies can play with our newborn or go to the spa.

Free room and board....

Yea, right!

I vote obx.  Get a cheap place from Craigslist last minute or contact a bunch of people on vrbo and lowball them.

Somebody will bite.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
3/12/18 6:01 p.m.

Definitely check out VRBO wherever you decide to go, we've had great luck finding nice places to stay on there.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/12/18 6:04 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I was gonna make him the same offer actually. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/12/18 6:15 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

So, since i am borderline stupid, what's vrbo?

And not heading north. Sorry guys, gotta be a hell of a lot warmer for me to go past the mason Dixon line....

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/18 6:33 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to untchabl :

So, since i am borderline stupid, what's vrbo?

And not heading north. Sorry guys, gotta be a hell of a lot warmer for me to go past the mason Dixon line....

You pull an engine outside in the dead of northeast Ohio winter and now you’re whining about cold? 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/12/18 6:36 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Id be fine. My wife, however, would be cold on the face of the sun.....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/12/18 6:40 p.m.

VRBO. Com  

Vacation Rental Buy Owner

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/12/18 7:45 p.m.

Biltmore is really cool.  If you go to downtown Asheville, check out the Chocolate Fetish.  Best chocolate truffles I’ve ever had.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/18 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I was going to offer you our place down here by the beach - we won't even be home this weekend - but that's kind of a far drive for you. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/18 7:50 p.m.

The place probably matters less than the activities. If she wants beach...

Also, loosely plan out the meals and sights. Nothing is worse than waking up Saturday morning and starting the "I asked you first" game. But I probably wouldn't make reservations just in case "holy crap let's get dinner at that BBQ truck!" happens.

Wife and I have had really good luck with Airbnb and VRBO for finding nice places to stay.

imgon
imgon Reader
3/13/18 12:21 p.m.

I'll second Savannah if you don't mind the drive. Lots of historical stuff (museums, forts, etc), tons of restaurants or just wander around the city, lots of small parks and interesting buildings to look at. Should be warm. We stayed just outside the city and hotels were cheap, didn't really check what downtown hotels were as we were visiting family in Pooler. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/18 12:53 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Ive only ever been to Greenville for car parts. Give me why you love it!

Good food, some cool microbrew bars (not a factor for you), nice little zoo, the BMW museums (the Zentrum and the lesser-known Motorsports one).  Paris Mountain for hiking and mountain biking.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/18 2:20 p.m.

Asheville is awesome.  Suits the mountain part but not the beach part.

I can't think of anywhere near you that would suit both.  Emerald Isle is at least near that huge game lands... checking google... Croatan.  Then you could drive up on the outside of the Sound through Hatteras etc.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lJai3fVKBFJaEyrwdD30PwK0Q3JKvpleD8aFrwQyfHPOhDp6xcqxCWKsDP7HoQWA