Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/22 12:03 p.m.

Has anyone watched it? I am on the second episode and found it to be really good. Brings back a lot of memories from that time.

wae
wae PowerDork
11/23/22 12:21 p.m.

That was a story that I was aware of at the time and kind-of-sort-of followed a little, but didn't really know or remember all the details.  I watched all four parts and thought it was really good.  It's definitely not your grandpa's PBS documentary.  While the story could have been told in a single 1 hour episode, I thought the way they divided it up into the four sections or chapters made it as entertaining as it was informative.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/22 12:47 p.m.

I am on episode 2 as well. Interesting show so far. I like the documentaries on Netflix. I also watched the bathtubs over Broadway one discussed in another thread and the Game Stop deal. All good watches. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/23/22 5:53 p.m.

Thanks for the heads up. Will be watching. Such an interesting story. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/22 6:00 p.m.

My chiropractor more or less insisted I watch this. He's one of my favorite people.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/22 6:14 p.m.

I'll be watching, I remember Pepsi Stuff very well. My dad was hauling recycled glass at the time so while they waited to load they would hit up the cardboard pile and pull points off the 24 cases. As the program went on the workers at those facilities had so many points they would just hand them off to people like my dad. We had so much Pepsi apparel (hoodies, jackets etc.) along with a bicycle and a Sony Discman when they first came out.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/23/22 8:30 p.m.

I'm not sure you guys will understand how bad I wanted that jump jet.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
11/23/22 9:08 p.m.

I already watched it when it  the first day it came out and I remember reading or seeing about it in the papers or tv back then. Crazy. At least it was more sane compared to what happened Philippines. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/24/22 1:30 p.m.

Wow. I really do live under a rock. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/24/22 2:07 p.m.

I watched the first episode. I remember the Pepsi apparel.  I don't remember the Harrier Jet controversy.   

I worked for Coca-Cola from 1987-1996.  First as a delivery driver and 2 years later as middle management at the local level.  

It seems this Pepsi saga stems from around 1996. 

According to the Netflix story, I was a "Cola Warrior."    

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/24/22 2:08 p.m.

I thought it was well done. Worth a watch for sure.

And now I'm craving a cold Pepsi. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/25/22 4:58 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

In 96, I was either at work, on a motorcycle, or asleep. Sometimes slightly combined blush

so, thankfully, missed all that. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/25/22 9:14 p.m.

I tried to watch that last night, but I just couldn't handle the direction, the rambling, the jumping from point to point.  It was one of those 15 minute stories spread out to seem like it deserved an hour.

Nice to see Cindy Crawford, though.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/25/22 10:09 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

I already watched it when it  the first day it came out and I remember reading or seeing about it in the papers or tv back then. Crazy. At least it was more sane compared to what happened Philippines. 

What happened in the Philippines? 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
11/25/22 10:13 p.m.
birdmayne said:
Sine_Qua_Non said:

I already watched it when it  the first day it came out and I remember reading or seeing about it in the papers or tv back then. Crazy. At least it was more sane compared to what happened Philippines. 

What happened in the Philippines? 

I'm guessing the graffiti artist that got himself publicly caned.

wae
wae PowerDork
11/26/22 12:02 a.m.
RevRico said:
birdmayne said:
Sine_Qua_Non said:

I already watched it when it  the first day it came out and I remember reading or seeing about it in the papers or tv back then. Crazy. At least it was more sane compared to what happened Philippines. 

What happened in the Philippines? 

I'm guessing the graffiti artist that got himself publicly caned.

That was Singapore.

Basically they ran a giveaway sweepstakes thing in the Philippines but screwed up and instead of giving away one grand prize they had a huge number of winners.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
11/26/22 12:43 a.m.
wae said:
RevRico said:
birdmayne said:
Sine_Qua_Non said:

I already watched it when it  the first day it came out and I remember reading or seeing about it in the papers or tv back then. Crazy. At least it was more sane compared to what happened Philippines. 

What happened in the Philippines? 

I'm guessing the graffiti artist that got himself publicly caned.

That was Singapore.

Basically they ran a giveaway sweepstakes thing in the Philippines but screwed up and instead of giving away one grand prize they had a huge number of winners.

With tens of thousands of people having won the Grand Prize, folks were upset to hear it was a "computer error" (living in abject poverty and being told you'd won $40K).

Riots, deaths, burned buildings.   All a black eye for Pepsi in the region.

Coke is king anyway.   If Pepsi didn't have Mt Dew under their brand they'd have gone under years ago.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
11/26/22 10:56 p.m.

Yea, I'm finishing the show up and catching up on this now. Holy E36 M3 was I wrong. Somehow never heard of this before. 

Our Preferred Partners
8pbJ3SANJW54kyoFxaBGnuEoZ0CaEaTtDNzVDXzIfItXW1zrkPMTlKijjcLXRbVb