1 2 3 4
GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
6/25/08 5:18 p.m.

The discussion of knife control for some reason reminded me of this video that i think anyone who lives in the U.S. or plans on spending any time here should see.

Part1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE&feature=related

Enjoy.... im fairly certain its safe for work. Law school lecture

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/25/08 5:39 p.m.

There's the classic cop questions regarding driving:

"Do you know why I pulled you over?" and "Do you know how fast you were going?"

You can admit ignorance of the law or knowledge of your guilt.

Black Stig
Black Stig New Reader
6/25/08 6:24 p.m.

WOW! This is an AWESOME professor! I have never had a professor this involving, granted, I'm a network engineer, LMAO! But they have never just drawn me in like this! I have watch 20 minutes of the first video so far and I am hooked!

-Stig

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
6/25/08 9:41 p.m.
Salanis wrote: There's the classic cop questions regarding driving: "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and "Do you know how fast you were going?" You can admit ignorance of the law or knowledge of your guilt.

I didn't watch the whole lecture video. I did my time in law school. The prof is right though, you don't talk to the police.

However, as an academic matter, there are correct answers to the questions posed above.

"Am I free to leave?" always works, no matter what a cop asks. If the cop is asking you a question, it's an interrogation. If the cop says you're not free to leave, then it's custodial, and he can't ask you any questions (and get admissible answers) without reading you your Miranda rights. Obviously, if you get Mirandized, shut up!!!

If the cop says you are free to leave, say bye-bye and leave. (BTW, this always shuts the cop up and usually gets you a ticket or two or three, but at least you haven't said anything that can be used against you. All you did was ask a question about the status you were in. You can let a lawyer worry about fighting the ticket later.) This is basically the smart@$$ version of not talking at all.

For the first question: "Do you know why I pulled you over?," the correct answer is "No." You have no idea what's in the cop's head, or any reason to know. I'd actually use "no, I don't know why you pulled me over" rather than "am I free to leave."

For the second question: "Do you know how fast you were going?," the correct answer is "yes" (although I'd use "am I free to leave?". Speeding is a strict liability offense; there is no intent element. Saying no is an admission that you were not paying attention. Saying yes just means you're paying attention. Neither has anything to do with whether you were speeding or not.

Again, though, my explanation is just academic. For the reasons I'm sure the prof set out, the correct answer is to say nothing (other than I invoke my 5th amendment right not to answer questions).

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/25/08 10:52 p.m.

Ok, watched the first half, really good. I can atest to the Ultimate wrong answer to "do you know how fast you were going?" "Fast enuf to get your attention."

the state trooper was not amused

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
6/25/08 11:27 p.m.

well, if you are cedric benson you can claim dwb/bwb up until the point the judge puts a breathylzer in your car. then it's moot.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/26/08 12:20 a.m.

In for later.

Sleepy...

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/26/08 2:26 a.m.

I responded to "Were you trying to get away from me?" with "No, sir, if I were trying to get away, this car can go alot faster."

Driving the blue Miata in my profile.

No ticket. In VIRGINIA.

I am a blessed man.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
6/26/08 7:57 a.m.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Because I was driving waaaaay too fast back there, ran a red light, and killed a hooker with my bumper?"

"Uh, no." Pulls out pen and starts writing "Your left taillight is out."

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
6/26/08 9:09 a.m.

Cop: "Does he drive like this all the time 'mam?"

Wife: "Nope; only when he's been drinking!"

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/26/08 10:35 a.m.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
6/26/08 10:48 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Ok, watched the first half, really good. I can atest to the Ultimate wrong answer to "do you know how fast you were going?" "Fast enuf to get your attention." the state trooper was not amused

Another answer I've heard to that one that I've heard someone really used: "No, officer, I don't know. My speedometer only goes up to 85."

doitover
doitover New Reader
6/26/08 11:25 a.m.

My response that I have an uncle that was disabled in service as a state trooper and that the guy that pulled me over in a speed trap should be ashamed of himself got backup up called and three tickets, one for an offense so rarely written that they had to look up the fee in their files when I went in to pay it.

Silence is probably better.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/26/08 12:02 p.m.

There's a thread on HDForums.com now concerning searches. So, if I understand this, if the thug with the gun says "May I look in your (trunk/car/back seat/saddlebag)?" then the correct answer at that point is "Am I free to leave?"

Please be advised that this posting is not to be construred as confidential attorney-client communication or solicitation or implication of an attorney-client relationship or otherwise privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the free exchange of ideas in teh intr4w3b, yo. If you are not the intended reader or otherwise an up-tight shiney happy person, please do not read, copy or retransmit this communication but destroy it immediately. Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication except as explicitly stated above is strictly prohibited.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
6/26/08 3:16 p.m.

The cop will undoubtedly get annoyed that you evaded his question but i dont think he can charge you with being annoying.

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/26/08 3:28 p.m.
GlennS wrote: The cop will undoubtedly get annoyed that you evaded his question but i dont think he can charge you with being annoying.

yeah but he can make your day a whole lot crappier

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/08 3:32 p.m.

the first time i got pulled over i was 16.

the officer asked "do you know why i pulled you over?"

i said "i was going 70 in a 50 passing someone in a no passing zone"

then he said "whats the hurry?"

i said "mom called she has dinner on the table and i'm really hungry"

no ticket, not even a warning.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/26/08 4:08 p.m.

I got pulled over by an HP one time and was quite surprised. He crossed over the median to come track me down and we made eye contact as he was crossing. I was the only one within a half mile of me...

I knew exactly how fast I was going (I'm always in-tune to how far off my speedo is ;) you all know how that goes, right?) and adamantly denied that I was going 9 over like he said I was. I was curteous but firm in my problem admitting that I was going that fast. I really am sure of it...he gave me a verbal warning...but I was always still uncomfortable about it. As I left he said, "Just slow it down for me, ok?" and I kinda shrugged and said..."I guess...but I wasn't going that fast."

Clem

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/26/08 4:41 p.m.

actually ive been wondering what the answer "officer, i gotta take a dump like you would not believe" would lead to

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
6/26/08 4:41 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I got pulled over by an HP one time and was quite surprised. He crossed over the median to come track me down and we made eye contact as he was crossing. I was the only one within a half mile of me... I knew exactly how fast I was going (I'm always in-tune to how far off my speedo is ;) you all know how that goes, right?) and adamantly denied that I was going 9 over like he said I was. I was curteous but firm in my problem admitting that I was going that fast. I really am sure of it...he gave me a verbal warning...but I was always still uncomfortable about it. As I left he said, "Just slow it down for me, ok?" and I kinda shrugged and said..."I guess...but I wasn't going that fast." Clem

Officer was looking for an admision of guilt. You didnt give it to him. Good job.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
6/26/08 6:12 p.m.

Officer: "Son do you have a license to fly?" Driver: pulls out pilots license and hands it to cop Officer: looks at it returns it and walks away

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/26/08 6:16 p.m.

I had one ask me once: "Whaddaya tryin' ta do, boy, fly?" My reply was "Well, if I only had wings." That's a long story and fortunately the statue of limitations is out on that one. I still don't drive through Mississippi.

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
6/26/08 6:53 p.m.

Obviously our slant has gone to speeding... so my best defense and best advice is to drive in a way that doesn't get you stopped to begin with. The easiest cop not to talk to is the one stopping someone else.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo New Reader
6/26/08 7:06 p.m.

Modified Galant VR4 - 90-100 MPH everywhere you want to go and the cops dont even look your way.

But yeah always be courteous but admit nothing.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
6/26/08 7:39 p.m.

Cruise control is my best friend

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QcW3rw4Hr7inX3pWdT4OeOHxNQrF770d6xz0jYt2hjjTWQ3fN9c2nsGVToFqLW7f