My first non-Canon since I was like 12.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
3/18/20 4:01 p.m.

So...what is it? 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
3/18/20 4:22 p.m.

In spite of my fervent devotion to film, a little part of me both hates and envies you right now.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/20 4:47 p.m.

Fujifilm X100V would be my somewhat semi-educated guess.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/18/20 5:03 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Fujifilm X100V would be my somewhat semi-educated guess.

Yup. This model (in black) just started shipping last Thursday. Mine landed here Monday--just been a little busy this week. Feels great. Photos to come soon. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/20 5:14 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Can't wait - I've got an older Fuji model (XE2s) that I really, really like, and I've heard good things about the X100V.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/18/20 11:20 p.m.

Is that new? I did not think anyone made new film camers today. Granted Fuji has an interest in selling film....

procainestart
procainestart Dork
3/19/20 12:33 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

New, digital:

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x100v-initial-review

David S. Wallens
3/19/20 7:44 p.m.

Yup, digital. I have only had a chance to make a few photos. Hopefully this weekend. Still learning how to use it. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
3/19/20 7:49 p.m.

Nice!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/19/20 7:55 p.m.

I got a new (to me) camera yesterday as well! Pretty stoked and looking forward to documenting many things about it. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
3/19/20 8:42 p.m.

Listen, don't turn this into a "look at my shiny new camera!" thread. I just started slowly reducing the accumulation on my shelves, and the last thing I need is temptation to buy more gear. Film? Yes. Photo books? Yes. But not cameras or (especially) lenses, so cut it out! I'm a weak, weak man....

David S. Wallens
3/19/20 8:46 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I hear you. This one involves a long, complicated, overly complicated story, but in the end it was about making photography fun again--something different and simple. So this weekend I'll go out with it--just not near any people, of course.

David S. Wallens
3/19/20 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Thanks. Those are untouched jpg's right out of the camrea--and with the camera on full-auto. Right now, I'm just getting used to it. It's not my usual. 

David S. Wallens
3/19/20 8:48 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Very cool. Congrats. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
3/19/20 9:26 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Oh, I know that story. I've told it to myself more than once. But in spite of finally arriving at gear that makes photography enjoyable, and indeed enhances the experience by being pleasurable to use, I still struggle to resist the new and shiny. And since turnabout is fair play and all, this is my usual go-to rig these days:

Resist - I dare you! devil

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/19/20 10:54 p.m.

You guys posting pictures of cameras need to post what these are for those of us who don’t know what we’re looking at but need another hobby. Even though I don’t need another hobby. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/20/20 5:18 a.m.
mtn said:

You guys posting pictures of cameras need to post what these are for those of us who don’t know what we’re looking at but need another hobby. Even though I don’t need another hobby. 

That is exactly the plan for the camera I bought. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
3/20/20 5:50 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Apologies. Mine is a Leica IIIg with a Konishiroku Hexanon 50/1.9. Both are fairly uncommon.

If you want to dabble in film photography for the first time, this is not the combination you're looking for. If you want something completely manual, any SLR combo from the 1970s will serve you just fine and be cheap. I know little of SLRs, but I've used a Pentax and liked it. I also hear good things about the Olympus OM line, but really you'd be hard-pressed to go wrong.

If you want something more automated, there are tons of point-and-shoot cameras from the 80s still out there. Ignore the trendy ones that have skyrocketed in price and get something cheap and easy. If and when it dies, buy another one.

I'd argue that if you care more about the process you want manual; if you care more about the photos you want automated. Even single-use cameras can take good photos. Fun fact: I won my first Leica in a photo contest. My winning photo was taken with plastic P&S worth no more than $5.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/20/20 5:50 a.m.

I am interested in nice digital cameras but then go down some rabbit hole and need to reflect on cost/usage.

Either way here is a picture taken on my Galaxy S10 of an old Polaroid camera that my wife is selling. 

Its already sold, but I think it looks cool and vintage and I wanted to share.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/20/20 6:34 a.m.
RossD said:

I am interested in nice digital cameras but then go down some rabbit hole and need to reflect on cost/usage.

Either way here is a picture taken on my Galaxy S10 of an old Polaroid camera that my wife is selling. 

Its already sold, but I think it looks cool and vintage and I wanted to share.

I used to have that exact camera.  In fact, it's probably still around here in a box somewhere.  Are they actually worth anything?

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
3/20/20 6:54 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

If they work and are a model for which film is available, yes. Polaroid Originals (formerly the Impossible Project) has produced new film in a number of formats. Not cheap, and not as good as the original stuff, but clearly good enough based on their sales.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/20/20 7:02 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It sold within seconds on marketplace for $15. Almost sold as fast as the lawndarts for $35!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/20 7:36 a.m.
RossD said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It sold within seconds on marketplace for $15. Almost sold as fast as the lawndarts for $35!

We used to catch lawn darts. I totally understand why they were banned: idiots like me and my friends.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cckrx8psHBoXlZUidLZmB8SpX500tdkjuYd0aYwrAtEvoGXGYcB9dah9TDua04kE