1 2
Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/11 2:14 p.m.

So I'm one piece of great news away from purchasing a new car. The issue is, no car with the lack of options I want exists in the area (stripper 5-door 2011 WRX). The local dealer said they can order the car for me in exactly the options I want, but it won't be available until April. This is actually fine for my timeline, so it's a non issue.

So, with that out there, how much wiggle room is there on a low option car that has to be ordered? Total as configured on the website is $26,220. I will not have a trade, but would be putting about $4k down.

Thanks!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/11 3:08 p.m.

i have no idea, but that is awesome news and i anticipate taking it for a spin sometime, preferably before it begins to take on the stank of cody and bailey.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/31/11 3:13 p.m.

In my experience, it depends on the dealer, how much they are willing to deal and the popularity of the car. In theory, you are ordering a car nad are willing to pay the price for it. However, you don't have to order it from that dealer. IMHO, dealers should love 'ordered' cars - less work for them.

When I ordered my TDI in 2/03, we agreed on a price when I placed the order. MSRP was $22.9K. Right off the bat, the sales manager offered $20.9K (this was pre-Katrina, when gas was $1.80/gal and TDI's were still a novelty/niche car). TDI's weren't really all that popular in early '03, there were few on dealer lots and if you wanted a car with specific options (and especially if you wanted a wagon) then you had to order it.

Conversely, when we ordered the '07 MINI, there was no negogiating... MSRP... period.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/31/11 3:19 p.m.

I'm just talking from what I've heard my brother say about being a Toyota salesman: There isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. It is presumably not a trim that would sell too easy (or else they'd have some) and they are ordering it for you, you specifically.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/11 3:54 p.m.

I've only been dealing with them via email before, but they are good people. A friend of mine used to be (and may still be) their aftermarket supplier.

As far as the car being a trim they wouldn't easily sell, that may be true, but when I sent an inventory request to them, they came back with NO wrx's on the list, and only one n/a automatic Impreza. When I emailed back and said I was only interested in the WRX, I got the following response:

"Currently WRX and STI models are not being produced in large numbers so we have been taking factory orders on those vehicles. If you are interested in getting a WRX we can factory order one for you in your choice of color and with the equipment you desire. The wait time is about 2 months at this point. If you were to order a car this week expected delivery would be early April. "

iceracer
iceracer Dork
1/31/11 6:19 p.m.

Since ordering the car saves the dealer from paying "floor plan" fees, they often will deal. I had that when I ordered my 2002 Liberty.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
1/31/11 7:14 p.m.

In reply to Gimp:

We have plenty of WRX's and STI's at the dealerships up here. There's no shortage.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/31/11 7:27 p.m.

The local Subaru dealer, VanBortel, is the #2 dealer nationwide. They have a no-hassle pricing policy and build it on their web site. With delivery a base WRX configures to $24,507.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/11 10:32 p.m.
pigeon wrote: The local Subaru dealer, VanBortel, is the #2 dealer nationwide. They have a no-hassle pricing policy and build it on their web site. With delivery a base WRX configures to $24,507.

Thanks! I might have to use that as a discussion point... or drive to NY.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/11 10:57 a.m.

So the car has been ordered (dealer went ahead and ordered what I wanted without a deposit). No talk of price yet, but I have several quotes from several dealers all starting at about low 24K. MSRP on the car is 26K. Any other advice you guys can give before I sit down to talk price?

This particular dealer and salesman have history with a friend of mine (has purchased two cars from him) and have a good track record.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
2/8/11 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Gimp:

No deposit for a special-order car = unusual.

Most dealers would want some "proof of committment" before placing the order. Or, you made a great impression of sincerity. Or, they believe that the car (as ordered) will still sell if the deals falls through.

Either way, you done good. Enjoy the car!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/11 11:14 a.m.

I will be giving them a deposit ($500, refundable at any time) this Friday. They ordered before I got my deposit to get in on the order cycle that would arrive in early April.

Sorry, I should have clarified.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/8/11 11:24 a.m.

Have you not agreed on a price yet? If not, that is where your hassle will be. I think it would be best to discuss that, or else they may believe you are content to pay msrp.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/11 11:36 a.m.
sachilles wrote: Have you not agreed on a price yet? If not, that is where your hassle will be. I think it would be best to discuss that, or else they may believe you are content to pay msrp.

We start talking price this week. He knows I'm not interested in MSRP, and he knew my buddy by name, so I'm not to worried about getting shafted. Even if he does push MSRP, I have quotes from three other dealers that all best it by almost 2K.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
2/8/11 12:16 p.m.
Gimp wrote: I will be giving them a deposit ($500, refundable at any time) this Friday.

Just make sure you have paperwork stating this. It is great and all that you have friends who are good buddies with the dealership, but that means precisely jack squat as you are not the dealerships friend. I've seen it too many times where they try to withhold the deposit, even if stated it is refundable (and on top of that, illegal in Alberta).

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/8/11 12:19 p.m.

I would not give a deposit until a deal is agreed on.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/11 1:48 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I would not give a deposit until a deal is agreed on.

I think that's pretty solid advice.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
2/8/11 2:05 p.m.
Gimp wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: I would not give a deposit until a deal is agreed on.
I think that's pretty solid advice.

It is!

The dealer is confident you REALLY want the car. They might also be confident you'll pay more to get the car you ordered. Get the deal you want in writing before you make the deposit.

And, make sure the car was actually ordered or be willing to wait until it actually arrives.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/11 2:34 p.m.

I should mention my friend is one of their aftermarket parts suppliers, so he's more than just a regular customer.

I'm certainly willing to wait, but I would like to have everything settled early (especially since I may want to shop around on financing).

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
2/8/11 3:04 p.m.

When you go in to order ask to see the order sheet to make sure they got everything you want (or didn't want). There should be a place for the price of the car. Figure on about $1200 for markup from invoice. Also ask about rebates and ask if you can lock the current cash back offers in. If they say yes get it in writing. Before you order make a ridiculous offer at about 2000 under sticker and settle for about a grand under sticker. If you're ordering it's a done deal because you can get that car from ANY Subie dealer so if they want your business they'll earn it. Like Dave said, NO money until you settle on a price.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
2/8/11 11:07 p.m.
Gimp wrote: (especially since I may want to shop around on financing).

penfed.org - pentagon federal credit union 2.9% up to at least 60 months

Don't give a deposit without having either (a) the entire deal except financing reduced to a signed contract or (b) a written commitment that the deposit is 100% refundable if a deal can't be reached by the date the car is delivered to the dealer.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
2/9/11 7:35 a.m.

I ordered a 1994 Blazer S10 under the GM Employee's discount and every dealer wanted a $1000 deposit. It had a 60/40 front seat rather than buckets and all the dealers felt they would be stuck with the car.

Bob Jass Chevrolet, Elburn, Illinois ordered it with no money down. We had the pricing already figured since it fell under the GM Employee discount. He ordered a few more with that seat as you could now get 6 people in the truck - which was a stretch.

I would clear up pricing before I gave any cash, in writing.

Hal
Hal Dork
2/9/11 2:59 p.m.
pigeon wrote: Don't give a deposit without having either (a) the entire deal except financing reduced to a signed contract or (b) a written commitment that the deposit is 100% refundable if a deal can't be reached by the date the car is delivered to the dealer.
  • eleventy billion

When I ordered an Explorer Sport (2dr version) in '90 before they were available I made sure all the paperwork was done. Good thing I did.

By the time the vehicle arrived (4 months) the MSRP had gone gone up by $5K. Sales manager at the dealership wasn't too happy but, I had all the paperwork signed (including his signature) and approved at the lower price.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/11 4:51 p.m.

Just leaving the dealer now. They came with their "nasioc" price which is a little over 2k under MSRP (800ish under invoice). That is the lowest quote I have gotten. Looks like I will be enjoying awd.

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
2/11/11 5:32 p.m.
Gimp wrote: Just leaving the dealer now. They came with their "nasioc" price which is a little over 2k under MSRP (800ish under invoice). That is the lowest quote I have gotten. Looks like I will be enjoying awd.

::2 thumbs up!::

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M43fW8l66OjKDO5QI3BrV5qmvyfMNhkSW9zX83UZAbcTMHzwjPLBud6iGF7lGTMr