Weaz
Weaz New Reader
12/18/18 5:41 a.m.

Hi, I'm new here. I need some advices.

I figured some of you probably own one. 

I'm tired of my hand drill and am thinking about investing in a drill press to make enclosure assembly easier. I want one that can sit on my workbench. I don't need anything fancy, but I don't want a hunk of E36 M3 https://mechanicfaq.com/drill-presses-under-200/. I want to spend less than $200 . Is there anything decent in that range? Any models to stay away from? 

I'm in the Canada, so I'm not interested in products that aren't available here

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/18/18 10:12 a.m.

The Harbor Freight bench top drill press is basically the same as the floor stand model, only shorter.  I've been happy with mine.  I understand you people in the Great White North have a similar store chain to HF.  Princes something or other.  They all buy from the same factories in China.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/18/18 10:46 a.m.
Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
12/18/18 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Weaz: If you end up wanting the one posted from kijiji and transport is an issue, let me know.  I live where it is and go to Toronto all the time.  Just ask.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/19/18 8:40 a.m.
Weaz said:

I'm tired of my hand drill and am thinking about investing in a drill press to make enclosure assembly easier. I want one that can sit on my workbench. I don't need anything fancy, but I don't want a hunk of E36 M3.

I would argue that when it comes to drill presses, even a hunk of E36 M3 is better than trying to drill a perpendicular hole with a hand drill.  My Harbor Freight press is very useful, and it did not cost $200. 

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
12/19/18 7:42 p.m.

Bought the Harbor Freight bench top drill press. So far it has done everything I needed it to. A lot better than a hand drill.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/19/18 9:22 p.m.

got me to thinking as I'd like to start making stuff so I wandered across the internet and found this thing below.

$45 on Amazon. smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/19/18 9:26 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rKhEcxJPfDiaUFc2m3tCtHNf6OywdKnorxNiZIGo3M2e37WDPtDDI9mronDsJMpH