1 2 3
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/09 2:14 p.m.
donalson wrote: pizza hut is where it's at if you want GREASE... and those MIA pizzas are horrid...

I LOVE Pizza Hut Pizza.. but I do not get to enjoy it for long.. sometimes I do not even get out of the restaurant before the need to releave myself becomes dire

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/30/09 3:17 p.m.

lol there was one day a few months back that i was craving PH pan... and yup... make sure you are near the restroom while eating it lol... was good that one day... but thats what happens when it's a craving :)

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
12/30/09 5:12 p.m.

I miss "Swicks" in Stillwater, OK.

Thin crust, pepperoni and pineapple. Heaven in a box.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
12/30/09 6:51 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
DrBoost wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: Papa Ramonos is pretty good for a chain. Howies and Jets are OK too. Best in Detroit? Buddy's and Shields!! Dr. Boost. I haven't tried Bob's, but if it's all that I'd be happy to be your back-up the next time you want to make a run. I absolutely love pizza and never turn down the chance to try a new one!
I haven't had Bob's in years (live over a hour away now) but I think Friday I'll be within 30 minute drive. I'm gonna have to give it a go. It'll be daytime so I might be able to get by without a wingman??? Gearhead, if you wanna go back-up, I need to know what your packin'. You can't pull out a .45 when the 11 year old on the corner has a full auto and 2 clips at the ready.
I tend to cross my fingers and duck. I'm a crappy shot... I had a CZ-75, but sold it recently. Will they be open new years day?

Just a .45? Omar laughs at you.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/09 1:40 a.m.

My favorite chain is Famiglia's They make a real New York style pizza. I never understood the attraction of Pizza Hut until I went to the Albany NY area to meet my inlaws. Pizza hut really is the best pizza in the area, and some of the people that claim to sell pizza should be fire bombed for what they have the nerve to sell people.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/31/09 1:54 a.m.
Wally wrote: My favorite chain is Famiglia's They make a real New York style pizza. I never understood the attraction of Pizza Hut until I went to the Albany NY area to meet my inlaws. Pizza hut really is the best pizza in the area, and some of the people that claim to sell pizza should be fire bombed for what they have the nerve to sell people.

I've found that if you get outside of Chicago, pizza gets BAD. This is why PH works--its surprisingly good, especially if you've never had real pizza.

I assume that there is good pizza in NY and other cities around, but I've never really been outside of the midwest. And i'd like to clarify, I don't like Chicago Deep Dish, I like Chicago thin crust.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/31/09 1:56 a.m.

Since my transplant I have found most things cost less in the good ole USofA but the glaring exception is a Pizza.

I couldn't believe that there was such a thing as a cheese Pizza, then a Pepperoni Pizza, even our simplest Pizza back "The Aussie" has pizza sauce, bacon, egg, cheese, and condiments. (Try it, it is good, the egg is cracked then just placed in the center)

A Supreme the toppings alone would be an inch thick. Everything is fresh, no canned mushrooms ever.

I always loved a good Mexican Pizza, yeah I know, but the combo works, pizza sauce, black olives, cheese, ham, hot salami, sun dried tomatoes, onions, peppers, jalapenos and garlic butter

As for Pizza Hut, in Oz it is the absolute worst chain of all the fast food chains

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
12/31/09 2:22 a.m.

I used to work for Marco's delivering, and they do have the best dough. I'm not a big fan of their sauce though.

I have to agree with pete Arni's is a really good pizza, if you like thin crust, it's probably the best thin crust I've ever had. That said I personally am a fan of Chicago style. Best for that has to be Columbo's in Elkhart, IN on Main. Pizza there is something like 2 inches thick.

In Detroit, I do like Papa Murphy's, but I usually went for Dolly's at 9 Mile and Hilton in Ferndale. 5 dollars for a medium one topping and they have some pretty good pepperoni.

Back in the day, Godfather's or Mr. Gatti's were the absolute best, followed not far behind by Garcia's. I think there may still be the original store for Garcia's open in Champaign, IL.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/09 2:25 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Wally wrote: My favorite chain is Famiglia's They make a real New York style pizza. I never understood the attraction of Pizza Hut until I went to the Albany NY area to meet my inlaws. Pizza hut really is the best pizza in the area, and some of the people that claim to sell pizza should be fire bombed for what they have the nerve to sell people.
I've found that if you get outside of Chicago, pizza gets BAD. This is why PH works--its surprisingly good, especially if you've never had real pizza. I assume that there is good pizza in NY and other cities around, but I've never really been outside of the midwest. And i'd like to clarify, I don't like Chicago Deep Dish, I like Chicago thin crust.

Pizza is different in every area, and once i stopped expecting it to be like NY pizza, most of it is good. Upstate NY was the worst exception to that. You would think with the internet being so popular that everyone would have a rough idea what goes into a pizza.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
12/31/09 6:28 a.m.

I saw the ad last night for the "new" Domino's pizza....apparently the dough has been changed/"reformulated" and they are now brushing the outer edge of the pizzas with....something. At P-H they apply garlic spray to the outer ring of a stuffed crust pizza.

And yes, MIAS CAN be pretty bad. They use a different sauce and cheese than a "regular" P-H pizza uses and the toppings are applied more sparingly.

THE best pizza WAS/IS found in Sicily, I know, I've been there. The pizzas I had were baked in brick ovens over charcoal fuelled fires...and the sauce WASN'T brimming with sugar, like many U.S. pizza sauces are.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/09 7:10 a.m.
griffin729 wrote: I used to work for Marco's delivering, and they do have the best dough. I'm not a big fan of their sauce though. Back in the day, Godfather's or Mr. Gatti's were the absolute best, followed not far behind by Garcia's. I think there may still be the original store for Garcia's open in Champaign, IL.

I like Marcos huge berkeleying meatballs...I mean sausage. I've never seen another pizza quite like that. Godfathers was good bitd, the new Noble Romans isn't bad, but I remember the old one being better.

There's at least 2-Garcia's in CU still & they opened one in Rantoul again this year. Still pretty good.

I like Hot Box pizza on Chauncey Hill just for all the inuendos in their marketing.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
12/31/09 8:10 a.m.

You can smelt fish on Lake Michigan in Chicago after the sun sets starting April 1st.

One year it was rainy and cold and we were catching nothing and a Connie's Pizza truck rolls down the lake front and stops and tells us he has are "loaded" deep dish pizzas left in the truck for $10. Want one?

Best time ever to eat pizza.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
12/31/09 8:11 a.m.

does that Papa John's owner get credit for spending the money to find his old camaro? it puts him down as a car guy.....

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
12/31/09 1:41 p.m.

I miss my old Little Caeser's where I used to live. there were 3 of them in the general area and two of them sucked, but one made sa,mn damn good pies. Don't know if it was a different quality fo rat droppings that were included in the sauce, but they were actually quite good. the one over here can't hold a candle to it.

I also like the local Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust meat Lover's. Yeah, it' snot a Chicago or Sicilian style, but it's still good.

The best I've had was from Frank Pepe's on Wooster St. in New Haven, CT. http://www.pepespizzeria.com

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/09 2:08 p.m.

one thing about chains, they seen to vary by who works there. Hence stories like the above.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/31/09 2:53 p.m.
mtn wrote:
I've found that if you get outside of Chicago, pizza gets BAD. This is why PH works--its surprisingly good, especially if you've never had real pizza. I assume that there is good pizza in NY and other cities around, but I've never really been outside of the midwest. And i'd like to clarify, I don't like Chicago Deep Dish, I like Chicago thin crust.

I suggest you don't try to find pizza in Indianapolis. It's ruined my life.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/31/09 2:56 p.m.
Wally wrote:
mtn wrote:
Pizza is different in every area, and once i stopped expecting it to be like NY pizza, most of it is good. Upstate NY was the worst exception to that. You would think with the internet being so popular that everyone would have a rough idea what goes into a pizza.

You didn't go far enough upstate. Syracuse has some bomb-ass pizza, and up on the Canadian border has a few gems as well.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/31/09 4:11 p.m.

Because I'm more than delivery time from any pizza I've given up on chain stores. Used to deliver for Dominoes years ago too. You wanna pay me to drive? Um, sure!

I make my own now. Both thin crust and Sicilian style(if you have to ask). I control the ingredients. I use a local grocery store crust that I toss and stretch. I use spaghetti sauce (Newmans or Classico) and use a Braun hand mixer to bring the sauce more in line with pizza sauce consistency. I grate my cheese (Polly-o low-moisture part skim mozzarella and whatever romano or parmesan I have on hand). And add whatever toppings I might have around the house or from the garden. Sounds involved. IT'S NOT. Takes as long as it does for a delivery to arrive. You must have a pizza stone though and set the oven to at least 450-500. My wife is from Detroit originally and grew up on their chain pizza brands. Likes mine much more! I'm from LI and miss a good NY pizza but at least we have Junior's and Marco's--local owned not chain store.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/09 5:18 p.m.

My favorite chain is Papa John's, mainly because I delivered for them for 2 years.

The best pizza I have had in Columbus is from Hound Dog's.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/31/09 5:19 p.m.

if you don't have the stone save your money and use a taroccota (SP) tile... alton brown recomends this... I don't because I already have the stone... but seems if you clean it well it would work out well :)

4g63t
4g63t Reader
12/31/09 5:31 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: The best I've had was from Frank Pepe's on Wooster St. in New Haven, CT. http://www.pepespizzeria.com

Pretty good, if I say so myself. 9 miles from the Galant's parking place.

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
12/31/09 5:53 p.m.
integraguy wrote: THE best pizza WAS/IS found in Sicily, I know, I've been there. The pizzas I had were baked in brick ovens over charcoal fuelled fires...and the sauce WASN'T brimming with sugar, like many U.S. pizza sauces are.

QFMFT!!!!! It was so good when I visited Sicily that we ate pizza for about 70% of our meals that week. My favorite was one we found at a restaurant in Taormina that had pineapple, pistachios, various cheeses, and of course the oregano and olive oil on top.

Domestic, I would have to say Chicago style is my favorite. the best chain I had was Firehouse Pizza meat lovers (one in Peoria)

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/31/09 6:17 p.m.

MN has a few pizza nooks worth checking out if you're in the area... Savoy on 7th in St. Paul (It's the ORIGINAL Savoy), Pizza Luce, Pizza Shack (17th and lake, sketchy as HELL, last time I was in there, they actually left a cop in there full time after dark) and Fat Lorenzos. All worth eating.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
12/31/09 8:00 p.m.
4g63t wrote:
Chris_V wrote: The best I've had was from Frank Pepe's on Wooster St. in New Haven, CT. http://www.pepespizzeria.com
Pretty good, if I say so myself. 9 miles from the Galant's parking place.

Well, it is one of the original pizza places in the US, straight out of Maiori, Italy...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/31/09 9:13 p.m.
mndsm wrote: MN has a few pizza nooks worth checking out if you're in the area... Savoy on 7th in St. Paul (It's the ORIGINAL Savoy), Pizza Luce, Pizza Shack (17th and lake, sketchy as HELL, last time I was in there, they actually left a cop in there full time after dark) and Fat Lorenzos. All worth eating.

Also the Leaning Tower of Pizza on Lyndale (they've been around since 1952), and Uptown Pizza has great takeout/delivery. The Pizza Shack closed a couple years ago, there's a Mexican joint there now. It was a sketchy place - officer Jerry Haaf was shot to death there in a gang hit in 2003.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2JO2HuA8kT7ByRCk6neaZl1Q8f3veA2WpsuAvnR7YItfZyZTASoA4hYa7nvnhCSo