1 2 3 4 ... 8
Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
12/2/14 2:31 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Ditchdigger: Apparently, they are comfy.

I would imagine so. They are just high top slippers.

And if we are going to just say berkeley it and wear slippers everywhere we should at least do it with a modicum of style

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/2/14 2:36 p.m.

Several years ago I did some work for some very affluent people. I was explaining some issues to the wife when her daughter, who I would assume was around 14 or 15 came down the stairs ready for school wearing the lowest tightest pants I've ever seen and had the tops of her pink g string coming up over her hips. Her top was just long enough to barely cover her belly button.

I stood there in amazement as her mom smiled at her and said "you look good today honey".

I can't believe that she would let her out of the house looking like that. I was absolutely in shock.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
12/2/14 2:42 p.m.

My wife loves them because she feels they are warmer than loose fitting clothing. When she wears them I can't help but comment, "butt looks great babe but definitely seeing some outlines upfront."

As a girl who spent most of her puberty years growing up in a swim Speedo, she's kinda used to it.

There are definitely situations that they are not appropriate, just like there are time when its not appropriate for me to wear riding shorts in public.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/2/14 2:49 p.m.

In reply to PHeller:

You mean like never. You should never wear riding shorts in public.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
12/2/14 2:51 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Any thoughts?

Get off my lawn!

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
12/2/14 2:52 p.m.

Maybe it's because I've spent far too many weekends surrounded by girls dressed like this while carrying crops that I've become a bit immune to the whole leggings thing.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/2/14 2:53 p.m.

When do we censor our daughters? Yoga pants? Volleyball shorts? Swim suits? When is tight too tight? When it's uncomfortable to wear or when you're uncomfortable looking at it?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/14 3:01 p.m.

Maybe it's because of where I've been fortunate to work but that's fairly conservative.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
12/2/14 3:01 p.m.

Lock the Hussy in the stocks, her ankle she has shown.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/2/14 3:03 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: When do we censor our daughters?

I think the right time is around when one them needs yoga pants in anything larger than a size medium. You will be doing us all a favor.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/2/14 3:11 p.m.
turboswede wrote: I'm curious how you feel it is inappropriate? Everything is covered and it isn't any different than spandex shorts or tight jeans, etc. IMO. Now, there are women who will purposely choose sizes that are too small for their frames and the required stretching makes them fairly see through, but that still isn't any worse than many bikni's. Its a human body, there's nothing wrong with it and if someone wants to show it off, go for it (good, bad, ugly, etc.).

This is the correct answer.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/2/14 3:20 p.m.

Never.

EVER

wear

these

outside

the

house.

PERIOD !!

I don't car if you look like the first girl posted or this one, never. Not clothes.

Call me old, stupid or just old, but I still stand to meet women, take my hat off indoors and say ma'am.

One little social glitch begets another, next thing you know there's rioting in the streets.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
12/2/14 3:21 p.m.
Wayslow wrote: Maybe it's because I've spent far too many weekends surrounded by girls dressed like this while carrying crops that I've become a bit immune to the whole leggings thing.

Damn, I need to fence off about 20 acres and start raising horses by the looks of that lass......

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/2/14 3:29 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: When do we censor our daughters? Yoga pants? Volleyball shorts? Swim suits? When is tight too tight? When it's uncomfortable to wear or when you're uncomfortable looking at it?

Speaking as the father of 22-year-old and 19-year-old daughters, good luck with that. The best you're going to do is not buy the clothes with your money. Doesn't mean they won't find access to them somehow. And I refuse to micromanage their lives to that extent.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/14 3:33 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

So I should stop wearing my yoga pants outside?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/2/14 3:39 p.m.
Duke wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: When do we censor our daughters? Yoga pants? Volleyball shorts? Swim suits? When is tight too tight? When it's uncomfortable to wear or when you're uncomfortable looking at it?
Speaking as the father of 22-year-old and 19-year-old daughters, good luck with that. The best you're going to do is not buy the clothes with *your* money. Doesn't mean they won't find access to them somehow. And I refuse to micromanage their lives to that extent.

My daughters are about a decade younger, but I agree. Teach them context. Make them aware of social norms and the messages they might be sending.
Then realize that young women have ALWAYS made old men uncomfortable and that's really a problem with old men, not young women.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/14 3:45 p.m.
wae wrote: I am pro. The inventor of the yoga pant deserves to have their face on our money or carved into a cliff side somewhere or something.

He owns a specular home on the tip of an island in the Bahamas that's surrounds by coral reefs perfect for snorkeling and driving, it's well deserved

(and no I'm not kidding)

06HHR
06HHR Reader
12/2/14 3:50 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Duke wrote:
Speaking as the father of 22-year-old and 19-year-old daughters, good luck with that. The best you're going to do is not buy the clothes with *your* money. Doesn't mean they won't find access to them somehow. And I refuse to micromanage their lives to that extent.
My daughters are about a decade younger, but I agree. Teach them context. Make them aware of social norms and the messages they might be sending. Then realize that young women have ALWAYS made old men uncomfortable and that's really a problem with old men, not young women.

+1 this. After seeing some of the scraps of material sold as shorts and skirts that my daughter used to try to get me to buy her when she was in high school, yoga pants are an improvement..

Morbid
Morbid Reader
12/2/14 4:06 p.m.

I'm larger than a medium and prefer gym-leggings to pants for comfort and practicality. I'm usually running errands on the way to/from the gym (powerlifter, all leggings pass the 'squat test' or they stay at the store). I might put sweats on over them if it's super cold, but probably not because I probably forgot to put them in my bag.

I prefer not to see someone using the cotton, 80's reproduction variety as pants, but it's also not my choice, it's not my body

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/2/14 4:06 p.m.

Heck, I still remember when bras were optional...fondly.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/2/14 4:18 p.m.

I used to work retail during the height of the low.cut jean phase. A buddy who used to work with me and I were reminiscing the other day about how we'd see a girl in some jeans, thank our lucky stars, and then immediately need to go to confession because wed find out she was in like...9th grade. This is an extension of.that, IMO. While I could give two crap what someone chooses to wear in public, it makes it difficult for me. I think the hilarity comes when a girlie gets into those, I'm checking it out, and.I get the look like I'm a chud. Listen, if I was chris pratt and you were staring at my ass, I'd have to accept it. The fact that you look smoking in them "pants" is not lost on you. The whole concept of "IMA dress like a ho but you can't treat me like a ho" always makes me laugh. Leggings amd a crop.top? I'm married, not neutered.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/2/14 4:29 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Which is fine and all, but reverse the roles. Remember when you were 17 and dressed all fly for the ladies? (I sure dressed fly) If a 17 year old girl checked you out it was awesome. If a hot 22 year old girl checked you out it was even better! But if a 40 year old woman gave you the old up down eye sweep, she was a creepy old bag.
The world is pretty much as it's always been, it's just our place in it that changes.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
12/2/14 4:29 p.m.
nderwater wrote: I find them inappropriate and immodest as outerwear, and like the OP I am suprised to see parents okay with their school-age daughters wearing them. Would you let your teen out of the house wearing nothing but body paint? Because that's pretty much the same effect.

Basically this. My girlfriend loves them (says they are comfortable), whatever. I've explained to her that around my parents, she needs to have her ass covered, and leggings don't count.

I'm pretty much on the line with them. Yes, great for eye-candy, but to a certain extent it becomes out of line. There is this great quality called "modesty", along with its cousin "humility". No need to look like a slurt 24/7.

It also screams attention whore, depending on how the person is dressed. Why not just wear sweat pants at that point if its about "comfort"? Because it isn't. Funny about the booth babe thread, and then this. At the end of the day, IMO, feminists got what they want. Unregulated basis of sexuality of women. The winner? Men. The loser? Women and their self esteem.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/14 4:42 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Dude, you have been on a roll lately.

Ditto to what he said.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/2/14 5:43 p.m.

"I've seen more cotton in an Aspirin bottle!" said Mr. Lodge to Veronica in a comic book from the 70's.

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
csNSPah3cHOz5HvSP4b9CitpaTJK2GXAZ6cBhq40fC5Vaz26SXb0DGWo73GoBwm8