1 2
4eyes
4eyes Reader
1/24/10 3:01 p.m.

It's Congress' fault, like most everything these days. Crash-worthyness is a moving (and subjective) target.

akamcfly
akamcfly Reader
1/24/10 3:41 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: The days of sub-2500 lb. cars is long gone .

Fixed it.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/24/10 3:53 p.m.
akamcfly wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: The days of sub-2500 lb. cars is long gone .
Fixed it.

Fixed it.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
1/24/10 4:33 p.m.

sooner or later we're/someone is finally going to get it right..

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
1/24/10 4:57 p.m.
92dxman wrote: In reply to daytonaer: I think it is some of the safety equipment (side curtain airbags). I got the optional dash clock. The only options I have are 15 inch wheels, floor mats and the weather package (heavy duty starter/alternator/heater).

I didn't know they put in curtain airbags. The echo had 2 airbags. Personally I loved the car for what it was. it had the 14" wheels. According the sales brochure, the 2 door was 75 or so pounds heavier than the 4 door. Gave its life in exchange for a cracked subaru bumper cover(got rear ended and totaled). I want another for commuting, the only thing I would add would be ABS, light topheavy car with no rubber can get hairy.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
1/24/10 7:00 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: We'll see as currently-exotic materials become more commonplace and, hopefully, the push for more and more crap won't outpace the lightening benefits of carbon fiber, lighter alloys etc...

I'm still amazed that nobody else has adopted and implemented the construction of the Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora.

Aluminum isn't cheap as a raw material, but forming it can be. An extrusion die is a relatively cheap thing. I worked for a company that manufactured electrical metering equipment. They got dies made from $1200-2000, depending on complexity. And those dies could run miles and miles of extrusion before they showed any wear.

Also, gluing your pieces together is brilliant. Welding aluminum requires super expensive robots, or expensive (well trained and highly skilled) humans. Gluing and riveting it could be done by well trained apes if the SPCA allowed it.

Heck, you could even glue cast pieces to extrusions, like the engine to the chassis.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
1/25/10 1:31 a.m.

That's a curious point to make. Cars are so quickly totaled nowadays that it is a wonder that they are even made to be repaired. I'm sure that before long, mainstream cars will be like helmets: They will be made to withstand one crash well, and then be disposed of. Instead of buying used cars, you can buy a refurbished or recycled one for a discount.

In the future!

GlennS
GlennS Dork
1/25/10 9:25 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Mixed feelings. It certainly is quick with the supercharger, and it'll corner like crazy. It's a pretty comfortable travelling car, if you're not on Michigan's potholed roads. Reasonable fuel economy, although it's really easy to get to mediocre, or poor if you use the throttle. What's not to like? It rattles a fair amount for a premium car (model year 2003). Back seat is useless, but I don't care. I don't like the pleather upholstery, prefer cloth.Runflats are a PITA, so I run some Kumhos and carry a spare tire.There's just something missing in the way of character. I have a 94K mile Miata that I truly enjoy more, and for trips we'll normally take my wife's Xb before the MINI. It's got an automatic trans, and I find it more convenient if we're going into Detroit or Toronto traffic ( damn, I must be getting old)The nearest dealer is 60 miles away and labour rate was $109/hr the last time I was there 18 months ago. So, I'm kinda ambivalent on the car. If I had puchased it used for $7000 I'd be ecstatic, I'll bet. If I were buying a new car, predominantly for commuting ,I'd be looking at a Yaris, Kia Rio, Fit, etc. Maybe a Fiesta once they become available. I'd like to buy American, but only when the small cars can match the imports.

i hear a lot of people say the back seat is useless in a mini. Im 6'2 and fit just fine. It gets to be a bit of a stretch when i have two friends who are both 6'5 and around 250 pounds sitting in line with each other. Knees start to get very cramped. Ive found larger people have more trouble getting in and out of the back seat. My friends and I are in our twenties though so maybe being young and springy helps a bit. They are certainly better then most coupes ive been in that have even less leg room and my head is smashed up against the rear hatch.

My 2009 also has a couple rattling issues that i have been hunting down. A little piece of tape on the hatches little metal latch did wonders.

Just did a run from San Diego to Pheonix this weekend and have to say that the seats could use more lumbar support. Apparently the euro models have an adjustable support that for some reason doesn't come on the US models but you can order the parts to fix them for about $200 if you have problems.

As soon as my run flats die im also going to move to some real tires.

Yes. Its not as fun as a miata but it has a roof and a hatch. Fold the seats down and you have plenty of room to carry a bunch of stuff. Seriously though. Whats as fun as a miata. Aw11 MR2? Equaly as practical lol.

The Yaris, Kia Rio, Fit, etc. are all way down on power compared to the mini S. If i replace my cooper s with something new in the future to act as a daily it will probable be a fiat 500 with angry scorpion badges all over it.

rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
1/25/10 9:36 p.m.

How do the small cars today measure up to an even older generation of "economy" cars?
The Pacers, Gremelins, Pintos, Chevettes, Darts, Mavericks, Monzas, Falcons and so on?

I know performance and fuel economy are on the new cars' side but what about physical size and weight?

GlennS
GlennS Dork
1/25/10 10:16 p.m.

Taken from quickly scanning top results on google searches

pacer is listed at 3,000 pounds Gremlin 2635 78 pinto 2602 Dodge dart GTS 3000 Maverick 2625 Monza 2760 Falcon 2422

2010 Mini cooper s 2668

If your looking for truely light weight i would go early british or for a bit more weight early import

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
1/26/10 8:22 a.m.

Glenn S, one of the issues I have with any car, and my 2003 CooperS is one, is that I don't want or need a power level that requires me to be waaayyy over the speed limits to be having fun. The power and handling of the MINI is very high compared to the cars I had growing up, like my 510. That's why I say I can look at low powered cars, such as Kia Rios. To maintain any mildly illegal speeds you have to flog them. Years ago Road & Track used to do a retrospective series of reviews on old cars. One issue was on an MG-TC (or TD?) and the author admitted it was great fun on Mulholland Drive , even though he couldn't keep up to the most mundane of commuter cars, but it would drift at speeds below the posted speed limit ! Lower power and less competent suspensions can actually be more entertaining sometimes. Conversely, the MINI is nice to have in moderate freeway traffic if you're trying trying to make good time. The acceleration is very nice! I guess I just need a fleet of cars for different driving conditions. I'd also like to see a 6 footer in my back seat. Didn't the second generation car gain a little legroom? There's only 4" of space between the driver's seat and rear cushion in mine. My son does sit on the passenger side of the rear seat, but that's because my wife is a little over 5 feet tall and pulls her seat forward. I'm 57 and could barely get in the back, and my son had to assist me to get out. I'm not particularly flexible anymore !

zomby woof
zomby woof Reader
1/26/10 8:29 a.m.

Originally 1650 lbs (750 kg), it's now a little more then 1450. It took a lot of work to get it that low, but it's blast to drive.

This was the heaviest of all the Swifts (98-01, 1.3 16V), at about about 2100 lbs. This one is just under 2000

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
1/26/10 8:31 a.m.

In reply to zomby woof: What are those wheels? This is a perfect example of what small cars should be.

zomby woof
zomby woof Reader
1/26/10 8:33 a.m.

The top are American racing 13 x 6 with 175 50 13 rubber, the bottom are factory Swift GT (the lightest rims I've ever seen) with 185 60 14

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
1/26/10 8:38 a.m.

From 1985-1989 I had a Mini with the 1275 cc engine from an Austin America. Twin SUs , a header and 145SR10 Michelin X tires. It probably wasn't capable of 100 mph, but damn it was fun !

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/26/10 8:40 a.m.

Oh my.... is that a Firefly? With boosted goodness?

Anyone know what the legality of one of those in the US would be? DO WANT MUST HAVE.

zomby woof
zomby woof Reader
1/26/10 8:47 a.m.

It sure is. 14.8 in the quarter

Same thing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-CHEVY-SPRINT-TURBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca90ca168QQitemZ260534215016QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

GlennS
GlennS Dork
1/26/10 9:43 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Glenn S, one of the issues I have with any car, and my 2003 CooperS is one, is that I don't want or need a power level that requires me to be waaayyy over the speed limits to be having fun. The power and handling of the MINI is very high compared to the cars I had growing up, like my 510. That's why I say I can look at low powered cars, such as Kia Rios. To maintain any mildly illegal speeds you have to flog them. Years ago Road & Track used to do a retrospective series of reviews on old cars. One issue was on an MG-TC (or TD?) and the author admitted it was great fun on Mulholland Drive , even though he couldn't keep up to the most mundane of commuter cars, but it would drift at speeds below the posted speed limit ! Lower power and less competent suspensions can actually be more entertaining sometimes. Conversely, the MINI is nice to have in moderate freeway traffic if you're trying trying to make good time. The acceleration is very nice! I guess I just need a fleet of cars for different driving conditions. I'd also like to see a 6 footer in my back seat. Didn't the second generation car gain a little legroom? There's only 4" of space between the driver's seat and rear cushion in mine. My son does sit on the passenger side of the rear seat, but that's because my wife is a little over 5 feet tall and pulls her seat forward. I'm 57 and could barely get in the back, and my son had to assist me to get out. I'm not particularly flexible anymore !

According to wikipedia

R56(the one i have) Mini changes

Much criticized for the lack of rear legroom, Mini added more space for rear passengers by creating sculpted cut-outs in the rear of the front seats.

I will admit that when sitting in the back of my car i have to sit with my feet together and my knees pointing out so that im kind of strattling the front seat.

Oh, and im 25..... i need the power. In fact about 150+ more would be nice. As long as someone else pays for my tires..... and gas....and brake pads.... and new front end when i stuff it into a wall.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rCAY4zolxEPXBVzdlnuGjYJLhHE0om3SW3q2Ck88DaFfRKHT6StYYgU5TVQBfO41