1 2
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
4/2/17 9:36 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: That carbine is probably worth more than the Garand today. They have gone nuts.

They ranged from $600 to $10,000 at Wanenmacher's this weekend, depending on make, condition, and who had owned/used them. You can still pick up a nice Inland for around a grand, later commercial models like Universal or Iver Johnson were available for $700-$800.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/2/17 10:19 p.m.

And Garands are in the 700 to 1K range, last I looked. So, Tulsa was this weekend, then? Glad I missed it. We went to the last one just after the election. I think I'm still tired from it. Definitely still cash-challenged from it. Anything that went pop started at two bills. Did you come through Fayetteville? Stop by some time.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
4/3/17 9:07 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: My Garand is a Remington and my Carbine is Inland Mfg, General Motors. My dad had the Carbine all my life, I learned to shoot with it. The Garand was a recent acquisition a couple years before he passed away 19 years ago. He had another Garand at that time that wasn't in as good a condition as this one. Had some metal pitting and the stock was beat up more. My sister took it to hang above her fireplace as wall art. Don't know what make it is.

That's a sweet pair! A carbine is on my short list, as is a 1911. The stuff that means the most to me is old sentimental stuff that no one else would care about. Like you learning to shoot with your dad's Carbine, my dad has a Winchester 190 he won in a high school FFA competition as a kid, and I later used as a kid too. Boy the bricks of .22s I went through. That 190 isn't worth much to anyone, but I couldn't imagine selling it for anything.

Check that Garand, there were only 4 manufacturers: Springfield, Winchester, International Harvester, and Harrington & Richardson. Remington made some parts for Garands, post WWII, but not the Grands themselves, so it might have some Remington (RA stamp) on some parts, but the receiver will have one of the other manufacturers' names on it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
4/3/17 9:33 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: And Garands are in the 700 to 1K range, last I looked. So, Tulsa was this weekend, then? Glad I missed it. We went to the last one just after the election. I think I'm still tired from it. Definitely still cash-challenged from it. Anything that went pop started at two bills. Did you come through Fayetteville? Stop by some time.

Cheapest Garand I saw was $900, but there was a pretty wide range of prices on things from vendor to vendor, most leaning on the high to extremely high side.

My uncle picked up a '17 Blue Book of Gun Values, so we were comparing prices we saw after the show. For example, I've casually been searching for a Marlin Camp 9 for a little while. I saw 2 Camp 9s and 1 Camp 45 at the show, they ranged from $720-$1100, all in 90%+ condition. The Camp 9 Blue Book is $600 for 100%, and the 45 is a little cheaper. I knew I'd seen them on Armslist for $500-600, but no one at the show was willing to haggle, so I don't suspect anyone sold any Marlin Camp Carbines at the show.

My uncle did buy a beautiful old Springfield Boys Rifle (little, single shot, bolt action, .22) pristine, with a walnut stock, for his granddaughters to shoot, and only gave $125 for it. That was about the cheapest thing I saw that was worth owning, in my opinion, and that was in the first 5 minutes we were there.

Yeah, I went through Fayetteville, my aunt and uncle have a place on Beaver Lake, we go up and stay with them a few times a year, didn't get to do any striper fishing this time though. I would like to see that Rav-4 of yours in person, I need to plan better next time we're up there.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/3/17 10:44 a.m.

PM me the next time you're coming through. I'm about 15 minutes off the interstate.

I was working on the RAV's exhaust this weekend. I'm about 2/3rds through with building a 2-1/4" exhaust all the way back. The hardest part is done, the 3D S bend over the cross member.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/3/17 8:33 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:
wlkelley3 wrote: My Garand is a Remington and my Carbine is Inland Mfg, General Motors. My dad had the Carbine all my life, I learned to shoot with it. The Garand was a recent acquisition a couple years before he passed away 19 years ago. He had another Garand at that time that wasn't in as good a condition as this one. Had some metal pitting and the stock was beat up more. My sister took it to hang above her fireplace as wall art. Don't know what make it is.
That's a sweet pair! A carbine is on my short list, as is a 1911. The stuff that means the most to me is old sentimental stuff that no one else would care about. Like you learning to shoot with your dad's Carbine, my dad has a Winchester 190 he won in a high school FFA competition as a kid, and I later used as a kid too. Boy the bricks of .22s I went through. That 190 isn't worth much to anyone, but I couldn't imagine selling it for anything. Check that Garand, there were only 4 manufacturers: Springfield, Winchester, International Harvester, and Harrington & Richardson. Remington made some parts for Garands, post WWII, but not the Grands themselves, so it might have some Remington (RA stamp) on some parts, but the receiver will have one of the other manufacturers' names on it.

Remington is the biggest stamp on it, there is another stamp I couldn't read. Dad also had a 1911 that he shot competition with around the time I was born, late 50's. Had a bunch of trophies from it. Mom kept the 1911 for a couple years and then gave it to my sister. Told my sister if she ever wants to get rid of it I get first chance. I want a 1911 also. I also have a Springfield bolt-action single shot 22 that was my grandfathers. Shot it too when I was a kid. Gave each of my sisters a reproduction black powder my dad built and shot competition with, I kept 3. Also gave 1 sister the Remington 1100. Hated to do that, if I was thinking I would have hauled back my 870 and gave her that and kept the 1100 myself. Oh well, at the time she was living on a 180 acres in Northern California and could use it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uDmZCpeKj72Pas4eSaBE4LrKRSQ9dbI2scKw3v4nh8lQ7SrB92EHGeeMARU3flar