confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/1/08 8:14 a.m.

We can use this thread to shape the future of our next racing series.

Four doors would be fun. The Mini made a good FWD, so I think we should do a good RWD (Right wheel drive as we were calling it), or maybe an AWD setup this time.

Do you guys think we should all use the same car with the same components again, or try to run a more complicated; but possibly more entertaining series using Forza 2's classing system?

Discuss.

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
7/1/08 9:24 a.m.

I checked out the Charger and the CTS-V last night. At full weight reduction the CTS--V is about 140 lbs lighter, give or take depending on wheel choice for each car. With the Charger at 601 hp, and the CTS-V at 555 hp, using the same tires, the specs were almost identical. The CTS-V had a 0.2 advantage in Speed, but the Charger had a 0.1 advantage in Handling. Both of those numbers would probably be washed out depending on downforce settings though. Acceleration and braking numbers were the same. PI Index was about the same. The Charger has a slight advantage in power to weight, but it's hardly anything. 5.1 to 4.9. It can also rev to 8k, compared to 7.5k for the CTS-V. Not sure whether that's an advantage or not though.

I think it'd be cool doing something like this where maybe one car is better than the other at certain tracks. I was thinking that everybody could use the same gear ratios, and just change final drive settings depending on the track, like the V8 supercar guys do. Use a control tire as well, and it'd hopefully be pretty close. Plus they look and sound cool as well. Here's a picture of the Charger I built last night.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/1/08 10:22 a.m.

Let's select a class, an Index, and a drivetrain and see what shows up.

Or, we could even open it up to a small selection of cars - like the American Iron series does. We could do a Dodge V.S. Cadillac (or Chrysler V.S. GM might be better) series so that there could be some containment on the rules and less of a chance that a kill-all car will come along and destroy everybody.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture New Reader
7/1/08 12:50 p.m.

oooh... like that idea mabie even throw in a lighter less power with similar lap times and make everyone pick. multi car spec class is cool

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/1/08 1:23 p.m.

So, what do you guys have in mind specifically? I don't think we need to max out the engines or cars - so 601 hp from a charger might not be necessary, but who knows?

Let's all do some research tonight and see if we can come up with specific ideas that would work - find one or two cars that work together and are pretty even. Then jot down exactly what you did to each car and that will be your idea for a series - any changes can only be made if everyone agrees (like we did with the Minis and the LSD).

Heck, here's an idea. We pick a model year of the Evo and STi (or STI now) that is very close and specify that model everyone use either one or the other. It will be an exact car, so there will not be two different STIs or Evos on the same track. Then, we do the SAME race compound tires (for example, the first tire selection), the highest level suspension, highest level weight reduction, and the first brake upgrade; open up the track, and let them go at it. They're already pretty even in HP, and they have plenty of it, so engine upgrades will not be necessary (or allowed).

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
7/1/08 8:02 p.m.

Confuzion, that's kinda the idea I had for the Charger vs CTS idea, except allowing aero mods and lots of HP. I thought the HP would make it interesting because it'd be more of a challenge. Put everybody on the same tires, relatively close in power/weight, same gear ratios, stuff like that. I just like driving cars with lots of power, to be honest.

I like the EVO vs. STI idea as well, because of the rivalry in real life. That idea would also work really well for a Spec Mustang series. Do a few basic upgrades to make the cars a little quicker. Doing a stage 1 or 2 suspension where there's little to no adjustability will make the cars even closer in lap times. Intake, exhaust, sport tires, and maybe the full weight reduction so they have roll cages to look like proper race cars. Spec cars would be cool because the lap times would hopefully be really close, but having more than one car to choose from would be pretty cool as well. We could almost make up teams if we had enough people.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
7/2/08 7:50 a.m.

Again, I wish there was a Forza type game for the PS3.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/2/08 8:12 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Again, I wish there was a Forza type game for the PS3.

Yes, but Sony hates its consumers and won't give them what they want in a timely manner.

Sure, the next Gran Turismo will probably take it to the next level. But the game isn't due out for, what, a year? And then they'll delay it by a whole year again, like they did for GT4 (they brought out a great game at the end of a console's life - stupid stupid stupid!!!!).

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/2/08 8:12 a.m.
Ryan9118 wrote: Confuzion, that's kinda the idea I had for the Charger vs CTS idea, except allowing aero mods and lots of HP. I thought the HP would make it interesting because it'd be more of a challenge. Put everybody on the same tires, relatively close in power/weight, same gear ratios, stuff like that. I just like driving cars with lots of power, to be honest. I like the EVO vs. STI idea as well, because of the rivalry in real life. That idea would also work really well for a Spec Mustang series. Do a few basic upgrades to make the cars a little quicker. Doing a stage 1 or 2 suspension where there's little to no adjustability will make the cars even closer in lap times. Intake, exhaust, sport tires, and maybe the full weight reduction so they have roll cages to look like proper race cars. Spec cars would be cool because the lap times would hopefully be really close, but having more than one car to choose from would be pretty cool as well. We could almost make up teams if we had enough people.

Hey, if you want a high-hp series, let's do a high hp series!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tYXksSQxm12NHlPBRNoiC8ffzYEhRJ8Xn3iQKud4QgWjanjn74By8npi1vnxe06s