1 2
nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
2/26/16 8:15 p.m.

Oh yeah I had a friend with a frontier and the 4.0 sounds great with an exhaust.

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout Reader
2/27/16 5:28 p.m.

I have looked for a used Tacomas at one point or another and I can't get over the insane resale value (especially in the PNW). They are good, I suppose, but they're not good enough for me to pay $20K + on an 8 year old truck with over 100K miles.

The Frontier seems like a way better value. It has a boxed frame, 4 wheel discs, and a bit more power from that great VQ. Despite what Tacomaworld has you think, I fail to see how they're any worse. However, if I was buying them new, it would be Toyota all the way - might as well get that stupid resale value and join the Bro truck circle jerk.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
2/27/16 6:04 p.m.

I had a '98 Tacoma extended cab with 2.4L and manual that I loved. My dad has a newer 2009 similarly configured and I can'tell stand it...driving position and everything controls related is completely horrible compared to the previous gen...I mean the pedal position for heal-toe in the '98 was even better than the FR-S, while the next gen Tacoma went for bus driver feel it seems - hate the pedal and clutch action and position in it and the shifter feels like it belongs in a manual Camry...yuck.

I'm thinking of getting another truck and a 2009+ Nissan Frontier is at the top of my list...still need to test drive one and see, but I think it should be more like the '98 Tacoma than the gen after it. Probably will go with the V6 though as the mpg hit is really not that much compared to to the I4...even though I hate the substantial weight increase it gives. What I loved about my '98 Tacoma was it was a 2900 lb vehicle and could competently do this:

All the new "compact" trucks are freaking huge in comparison...I'd much rather a SMALLER truck, like the size Tacoma's started off at originally. Nissan seems to be the smallest now...and I kinda of like the looks more, especially since I want to gear it towards offroad comfort and ability.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
2/28/16 5:01 p.m.
sparkymcfearsome wrote: Originally shopped Toyotas but they didn't do 2wd with manual.

???

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
2/29/16 1:22 p.m.

I am going to check out the Nissan today, I test drove the Automatic car last week locally and am driving to another state to drive the manual transmission. The manual is going to be more expensive probably $1k to $2k more than the Tacoma and will require a new inspection, but I can at least transfer my plates over and avoid taxes because I am trading a vehicle that is valued more.

sparkymcfearsome
sparkymcfearsome New Reader
2/29/16 8:24 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

I should have been clearer. I couldn't find a way on Toyota"s website or talking to a salesman to get a 2wd crew cab tacoma with a V6 and a stick.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
2/29/16 8:28 p.m.

Personally I'd go with the newer car with less miles. The taco tax is ridiculous especially here in Florida where everyone bros them out. It's similar to the Subaru tax. CL ads down here for Subarus and Tacos are similar. "2004 STI 150k miles access port, CEL on but still runs goods, $22k, rare find" "2010 Tacoma 115k miles, worn 33 boggers, bro lift, maxed out my credit card on the 4 light bars, don't remember the last time I changed the oil $23k, cash only"

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
3/1/16 10:11 a.m.

I checked out the vehicle if you ignore the fact that it smelled like a ash tray, the seats had burn marks, and the exterior had scraps, all over the place it was a decent made truck. The dealership wouldn't budge on price, so I had to walk.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
3/1/16 9:03 p.m.

I'm very happy with my '12 Frontier and my Father enjoyed the 05', 00' and 97' trucks that preceded mine as well. My truck is a 6spd 4x4 King Cab with a handful of minor modifications. The Tacoma is a good option but I preferred the power train and interior on the Nissan. Prices say the Nissan is a better value for the money, but both are holding their value well over time.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/cars-that-depreciate-the-slowest/#slide-3339825

And, they run Misey Bay rallies well on muddy back roads.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
3/2/16 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer: Did you get yours from Porreco?

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
3/2/16 10:14 p.m.

Mine came from Schults up in Jamestown. Just rolled over 25k and I picked it up a year ago.

BTD
BTD New Reader
3/2/16 11:27 p.m.

I had a 2013 Frontier Pro-4x, loved it. Great truck, so-so gas mileage, but IMO more truck-like than the Tacoma. Fully boxed frame, stronger bed rails (IMO), and got a newer truck with less miles for cheaper.

I now have a 1996 Tacoma. Not really apples to apples as the new Tacomas are much, much more refined. Better aftermarket, plastic bed (a plus, IMO), available in bed power inverter, better resale.

My thought? Both are great trucks. Buy the nicest one you can find and you'll be happy, no matter which it is.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/16 10:16 a.m.

If it wasn't a trashed smoker vehicle.. I'd go Frontier if price is equal and 3 years and 60k fewer miles. Both really good trucks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VTbWkDnFLC4iu9xP5DqWerMy0Oet1zFp72slE2HPCNcCzDQAI0fXtazYvAKExNEg