1 2 3 ... 6
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/1/20 7:13 p.m.

I will be hosting the latest build for November.

Find a snap together kit and go to town on details. It's No-glue-vember (TM to Javelin).

The modeler of my choice will get a prize. Not sure what yet.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/1/20 11:22 p.m.

I need to think about what I want to build. I have a few snap kits, but I have plans for customizing them and I'm not sure I can cram any of those into a month. Might have to pick up something new and just focus on detailing it well in box-stock form.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/2/20 5:21 a.m.

I was dismayed to see that snap kits command the same price as glue kits or more on Ebay. (rant) Why am I paying the same or more for less content? (/rant).

I did see a few that sparked my interest.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/20 8:09 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I have found that most of the modern ones have exactly the same amount of content. They are pretty slickly engineered, too.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/2/20 9:55 a.m.

Dang. I haven't even looked at a snap kit in 30+ years... guess I'm out for this month too. 

11/2/20 10:03 a.m.
Saron81 said:

Dang. I haven't even looked at a snap kit in 30+ years... guess I'm out for this month too. 

You can always build whatever you want. The monthly themes are more for ideas if you don't already have something.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/2/20 12:00 p.m.

I'm still working on August's entry! Or was it July's? frown

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/2/20 3:20 p.m.

1/32" scale seems to be the realm of glueless model vehicles. I guess I won't fight that. My mission is to take something pretty crappy and see how nice it can be made. I'm stalking two Mustang kits currently.

11/2/20 3:24 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Tamiya has made numerous really nice snap 1/25. The new Revell snap kits are 1/24 and awesome (Mustang, GT, Raptor, R8, Rubicon).

11/2/20 8:07 p.m.

I didn't think I had a snap model. Then I looked and realised I received this as a prize from one of the previous builds. Well, I guess I'm in. (Still working on the ChEaparral too) Plus, I am hosting! laugh

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/3/20 11:02 a.m.

So vwcorvette builds a Fordsurprise Well I will build a Corvette to duplicate the photo below. Well proportioned old Revell kit. Build photos will follow.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/3/20 11:24 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

The 57 Vette is my favorite c1. I love how delicate some of the details look on them. Not overly done like a lot of GM cars from that era. My boss has a nice one... let me know if you need any reference photos. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/3/20 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Dashboard shot if it has a red interior. I don't know where the color breaks are. I will do black over red with titanium gold coves. The numbers and wheels will be the hard parts. I am leaving the bonnet closed, as I have no idea which induction system exists on the car in my photo, from Radnor Concourse 2008. Better than doing it wrong. 

11/3/20 1:52 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I found the photos of your actual subject:

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/3/20 1:56 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Lol... my current fb profile pic:

His car is also a radio, and heater delete car. 
I'll try and stick my head under and look at the brakes soon. I may have some 1/24 steel wheels... I'll have to check. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/3/20 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Judging by the background I would say that the Concept cars photos were taken within minutes of my own. And thanks, I did no research beyond my own photos, and I did not take one of the interior. Look at that tach surprise

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/3/20 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

1/24th wheels would look pretty bizarre on this, it is 1/32! I just poured a mold onto a 1/32 steelie slot car wheel so I can make some.

11/3/20 7:39 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Saron81 :

Dashboard shot if it has a red interior. I don't know where the color breaks are. I will do black over red with titanium gold coves. The numbers and wheels will be the hard parts. I am leaving the bonnet closed, as I have no idea which induction system exists on the car in my photo, from Radnor Concourse 2008. Better than doing it wrong. 

In the spirit of the night, this build is trending up in the early results! LOL

Claff
Claff Reader
11/3/20 8:45 p.m.

I do not have a snap kit in my small stash.

I have built a zillion snap 1/32 kits back in the '80s. For a while in the mid to late '80s, me and a neighbor kid would get cheap kits, build them up, and run demo derbies with them. We'd hurl them from one end of our basement to the other, crashing them all into piles. If a wheel fell off or the body got structurally broken, they were eliminated. When only one was left running, we'd spend a week or so repairing the victims and then do it all over again. I have a few of those cars still around, some of them here. I'll have to get some pictures when I get bored.

For this month I've ordered two snap kits from Amazon since my local Michael's has a tiny model car selection. On the way is a Ford Expedition police car, which should be here by the weekend, and a 1/25 Mark Martin Valvoline NASCAR Ford Taurus from 1998 or 1999. That won't show up for another week and the pictures/description on Amazon are iffy at best, so it might not show up at all. I'm curious about the level of detail on the NASCAR kit, while the Expedition is the backup plan.

11/3/20 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

My daughter built that Expedition, it is actually an excellent kit. Comes with a full interior and tons of police gear.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/5/20 12:16 a.m.

Can I get an exemption for Snapfast Plus? It technically requires a little bit of gluing. cheeky

Regardless, I came across a kit that I've always wanted and it's only available in this simplified mostly-snap form, so I think the time is right for me to pick one up. Maybe two or three, now that my brain is developing ideas for it.

Sneak peek:

11/5/20 1:10 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I'll allow it cheeky

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/5/20 6:34 a.m.

I'm currently winning bids on two snappers on Ebay. Hopefully I snag one.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/5/20 7:20 a.m.

Going for the Rubicon.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/5/20 9:57 a.m.

I won the first one. 1981 Monogram Mustang.

Dig those sidepipes! Which will be cut off in the first step of building. laugh 1/32" scale to minimize the obvious flaws a very dated snap kit will undoubtedly have.  I think this is the only kit of an early notch Fox that was made.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A93QQDGedMZielPv1x0odPofY9r0UfheCq30kItVAoXj7hd3WJ5lbbl6PsOxxrsj