1 2 3 4 ... 6
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/5/20 10:32 a.m.

Fresh from the mold, with quite a bit of work yet required, four 1/32 steelies. They have no backside detail, and won't get it for this build. Since 19 grams is my minimum mix volume on the resin I poured four 1/24  race seats as well, like the ones I used in the Abarth.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/5/20 12:08 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Ah-ha! I had my eye on that Mustang as well. I decided to go with something else instead, but I eagerly anticipate seeing what you do with it.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/5/20 3:13 p.m.

Looks like a nice variety this month.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/5/20 4:07 p.m.
slowbird said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Ah-ha! I had my eye on that Mustang as well. I decided to go with something else instead, but I eagerly anticipate seeing what you do with it.

Yeah. Hmm. I'm searching pictures on the 'net now and thinking "They sure had some crappy colors back then". I actually owned a '81 liftback in a fairly bland gray color. The kit has these wheels:

I'm so sick of red cars. No way I'm doing it that color. Maybe I could do a fantasy pace car notch.

Or:

AA number of the customized ones I'm seeing have painted the side moldings body color. I think I need to keep the black rub strips to give it some depth, otherwise it will just look like a blob of color since there is no chrome on these things. It's a weird kit from the box art; a notchback with a 'Cobra' front valance. Pretty sure that never existed.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/20 5:10 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/5/20 5:40 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ddavidv :

I'm not sorry how much I like those.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/5/20 6:28 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Cobra notch might not be factory, but I dig the style. I would do it in blue or black. Pace car tribute is good too.

11/5/20 8:30 p.m.

This is the fully molded chassis in black. I began to painting to provide some contrast. Then decided to look at some references. Umm? So much shiny.

That would require WAYYYYYY to much masking. Think I'll focus on the top side and interior.

11/5/20 8:51 p.m.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/5/20 9:07 p.m.

That is a cool old Corvette. I remember seeing a lot of old sports car snap together kits in the old days. MGAs, Austin Healeys and such. I woder if any of those are still around?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/5/20 10:02 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

So much shiny only when it is new. You can paint it all mud brown and put some on the carpets too.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/5/20 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

The MGA (Monogram) and A-H (Aurora) were 1/32 glue kits. I have a Healey, it isn't very good, I built the MGA years ago, turned it into a Twin Cam. Other than the wheels and instrument panel it was very good. Alas it is very rare as the mold was converted into a slot car body. Linberg also did an MGA rather less well, and a Mk2 Sprite that was poor. A few others too, all glue kits. The Mercedes 30SL roadster is almost OK. I think there was a Datsun 240Z snap kit, Revell or Monogram, and a few others from the 70s/80s era, but not 60s era cars.

Claff
Claff Reader
11/5/20 10:32 p.m.

That Mustang kit was a staple of our demo derbies. Only problem with cutting off the side pipes is that those were the primary means of attaching the body to the chassis.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/6/20 6:25 a.m.

That olive green Mustang also caught my eye. I have that pic saved on my computer. I'll wait 'til the thing actually arrives to decide if I want to do the lower part black or not.

I found the pics of my 1981 turd. Not a bad color compared to some I could have been stuck with back then. Mine was a base model but with red (!) cloth seats and power-sucking a/c on the 2.3 Pinto engine. The steelies got tossed for TRX wheels to make it look like a GT. Having owned that I now know what the term malaise means. I probably only had it for a year before going back to my final Mk 1 Fiesta.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/6/20 6:37 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I think there was a Datsun 240Z snap kit, Revell or Monogram, and a few others from the 70s/80s era, but not 60s era cars.

I had the Monogram Z car. An odd kit--glue construction but with no engine, kind of like a curbside kit. Frankly a little crude compared to most of Monogram's offerings at the time.

They did make a snap kit of a 280ZX. I can't recall ever seeing it on the shelves but there were 3 different releases.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/6/20 10:55 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

The ZX is the foggy memory.

Claff
Claff Reader
11/6/20 10:45 p.m.

Kit #1 has arrived

How exciting! I'll probably start on it in the morning.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/7/20 6:57 a.m.

Lot of detail made into that one. Too bad I can't stomach the styling of that vintage Ford truck.

This thread has given me an idea or two for the next challenge though. Maybe I'll host the next one.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/9/20 2:49 p.m.

I had to pick a black one to duplicateangry This body has more sinks than the ground in Florida....I have several thick coats of light gray primer with a dusting of dark gray. When it stops gassing out I will sand with 600 to find the low spots. I will take more photos then to illustrate, but you can see it above the grille opening in the photo below. The rear 1/4 panels look like cellulite!   At least it is small.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/9/20 3:32 p.m.

It's here...the most coolest concept car of the 90s! wink

No paint required...yeah we'll see about that.

11/9/20 7:22 p.m.

Paint:

Probably should have used a darker primer, but I don't care. I like it.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/9/20 10:24 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

That color would not pop nearly as well on dark primer. The reflections look too bright on the panel edges, but I suspect that is more about the photo than the model.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/10/20 6:39 a.m.

The Monogram Mustang has arrived. The entire kit is like 15 pieces. laugh The seller had sort of snapped it together for photos to show all the parts were there. This means he snapped the wheel centers into the tires. Yeah, they aren't coming apart ever again. frown That will make for fun painting.

The body is a pretty nice mold. The rest is about what I expected. This will be all about painting. The instructions (like anyone would need them) do mention it is a 'hybrid' of a Cobra and a notchback. It then goes on to mention the 'turbocharged engine' which I'd have assumed was a 2.3T but with the dual sidepipes must be some GRM Challenge-worthy homemade V8 (V6?) conversion. Since there is only an oil pan visible I guess we will never know.

Hacking off the sidepipes first, then primer.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/10/20 9:33 p.m.

Primer no longer gassing out enough to smell, so to the sanding station (kitchen sink) I went with 600. All of the dark gray areas on the rear 1/4s and above the grill need filler. The front sanded out a little better than I expected, but not the rear.

11/11/20 9:32 p.m.

Almost done. Need to install the Raptor decals/stickers then decide if it's getting muddy.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r2r37r4BYEl1uJnGdorzimINd79SDcAndJEHqVQ67JzNFkXohQQQXVSApAshFpGk