Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/20 2:14 p.m.

I happen to be out of snap kits, but my kids have a few. They chose airplanes:

Claff
Claff Reader
11/29/20 12:14 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Claff :

On my kid's model those were stickers, not decals though.

Good grief it looks like you're right. That thought occurred to me but on the instruction sheet they used the universal instruction for water-slide decals:

Ah well at least this should make the final push a hair easier. Got 80% of the trim painted and I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/29/20 5:45 a.m.

Thoughts for the next build with the comment that maybe we ought to skip December. I have a feeling a lot of people will be too busy to build during the holiday crazyness. Or not. I'm okay with doing one as I have no kids and therefore no distractions. smiley

This build got me to think about an 'alternative scale' month where you do something smaller than 1/24 scale. 1/43, 1/32...heck, even HO scale for you model train guys.

I'd also thought of a 'weathered' build where you would create something visibly used. Light neglect up to 'field fresh'.

I have a kit I could toss up for a prize.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/29/20 1:06 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Thoughts for the next build with the comment that maybe we ought to skip December. I have a feeling a lot of people will be too busy to build during the holiday crazyness. Or not. I'm okay with doing one as I have no kids and therefore no distractions. smiley

This build got me to think about an 'alternative scale' month where you do something smaller than 1/24 scale. 1/43, 1/32...heck, even HO scale for you model train guys.

I'd also thought of a 'weathered' build where you would create something visibly used. Light neglect up to 'field fresh'.

I was also thinking December might be stressful and was going to suggest a two month build. But that's cause I wanted to do a LARGER scale. 1:20 or 1:16. Maybe 1:8. Regardless I'd have to buy something. The heartbreak! Haha

Claff
Claff Reader
11/29/20 1:33 p.m.

I built a 1/8 scale '85 or '86 Vette back when those cars were new. It was novel but the finished product is BIG and I don't have space to properly display it (it's mired at the parents' place still).

I'd like to do a 1/32 but I don't even know what's available in that scale these days.

Regardless, I'll probably skip December just because there's a lot going on here.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/29/20 4:03 p.m.
ddavidv said:

My entry for January is done.  N scale, tow truck.  Small, probably fits on a quarter but it was even a multi-part kit.

Claff
Claff Reader
11/30/20 11:34 a.m.

Cop Expedition snap kit is done

I pressed on regardless after the bad paint job, hoping that the decals would distract the eye away from the dull finish and random imperfections underneath that. It would have been a slam dunk to do that if I went with the primary decal package that is on the box art, but I preferred the second set of decals.

For a curbside model it went together easily. The actual parts holding everything together isn't snap-together plastic, but rather three small screws. I like that since it's a nice positive solution that doesn't depend on friction to keep it all in one piece. There were no complications with the kit itself. I had one self-inflicted one where the grate behind the front seats was leaning rearward after I snapped one of the tabs off it trying to put it in the interior tub. I wound up gluing that grate to the backs of the front seats since it didn't look like a secure place for criminals otherwise.

Seeing the finished product, I don't regret going with blurple over basic black. With the decals, it looks like a real police vehicle.

I was afraid that this snap kit challenge was going to be done in four days and I'd be done so early that I'd forget to submit it for consideration, but it turns out it was about right for this time of year. I can get into more complex builds after the first of the year. So let's do this again sometime.

One pic before decals went on just in case I really screwed those up

Another minor goof on my part: I hogged out the holes for the roof antennas so I wouldn't have to put too much stress on them installing them. Of course I hogged one out a hair too much and the antenna flops around in its hole. So it looks like a German Shepherd puppy's ears. I'm sure it wasn't going to look right regardless since the antennas are so thick that, in 1:1 scale, they're probably as thick as jack handles.

It's raining today so I can't get pictures outside in natural light. So you get garage pictures illuminated by Harbor Freight lights. Check out that awful paint texture. I'm surprised it's kinda sorta shiny.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
11/30/20 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

That turned out really nice actually!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/30/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

Lets remember that real police vehicles never get waxed, and rarely washed, so perfect paint is only on the first day of service...

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/30/20 5:03 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Claff :

Lets remember that real police vehicles never get waxed, and rarely washed, so perfect paint is only on the first day of service...

Locally, that isn't true.  Our sheriff lets trustees wash patrol cars as a way to get out of their cells.  Allegedly, they are VERY clean when they're done.  

11/30/20 6:40 p.m.

So here are the kits I'm looking at for this month's theme. These are the initial posts by the builders. Hope I'm not missing anyone. 

TurnerX19

Me (not for consideration)

ddavidv

Claff

Slowbird

Claff

Solfly

Wally

Javelin. 

Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Saron81 will get a post but it's such a nice kit I wanted to separate from the snappers.

11/30/20 6:51 p.m.

Be sure to post whatever stage or stopping point you got to regardless of "doneness."

solfly
solfly Dork
11/30/20 7:17 p.m.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/30/20 7:20 p.m.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/30/20 7:29 p.m.

So. Painted flares, hinges, latches etc. detailed reverse lights and did clear corners/markers up front. Painted beadlocks. Painted exhaust.  Painted the inside of the hardtop. Left the interior alone, my "you'll only make this worse". Cut the bumper ends off. Kinda went for a "day 2" look.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/30/20 7:30 p.m.

Giving it to my 3 year old tomorrow. I'll get a pic in a week if there's anything to take a pic of.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/30/20 9:44 p.m.

So this is where it is today. I will finish it, probably soon, but given the over 40 year build times of some of my models that is a relative term. The first coat of black is on, and it has blushed in two spots that show in the photos. The good part is the build depth of black acrylic lacquer is great enough to fully finish it without resorting to more primer. The coves are masked off so the Tamiya gold only needs to cover light gray prime. The blue tone on the rear of the trunk lid is not a reflection, that is an area of blush that needs to be polished through.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/30/20 11:07 p.m.

Putting some last-minute decals on mine...

Alright fine, here we go. I don't think I did a good job on this one because I got lazy and rushed it at the end. But it still looks pretty cool and I think this kit could really shine in the hands of a skilled builder.

Photography skills would probably help too.

The worst part is probably the big air intake on the front. They don't really give you any detail there, so I painted it (poorly) to resemble the dark shadowy look of the real car.

The back is a little better; the vents there have a texture, at least. I painted those black also.

There's a few detail elements in front of the side scoops that they don't provide decals for. I'm not feeling up for painting them right now. I'm not sure why the "GT90" decal only has "V12" appended to it on the right side, either.

Overall though, not a bad kit.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
12/1/20 6:17 a.m.

Any wallflowers following this thread, take note. These snappers are a good way to get your feet wet without doing a full bore kit build. I'm pleased to see how nice most of these look out of the box.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
12/1/20 7:33 a.m.

I'm impressed with both the details in the later kits (they're pretty much as detailed or better than some of the old glue kits), and what you guys have done with the older kits I'm familiar with like the old 1/32 kits. Awesome builds all around! 

solfly
solfly Dork
12/1/20 11:00 a.m.

i might get the raptor

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/20 7:10 p.m.

Far from perfect but it's done

12/1/20 9:12 p.m.

Kid's progress:

12/1/20 9:15 p.m.

And here's my daughter's interpretations of many of the kits in this challenge:

I really wanted to pick up that Ford GT to build this month but that thing is surprisingly hard to find.

12/2/20 7:53 p.m.

Gotta say I'm liking all the kits built during this challenge, but if I had to pick a fave it would be the Mustang notch by ddavidv. I really like that airdam and front end with that roof line. You did a nice job on it. You'll be getting a $25 gift card to Tower Hobbies for your efforts. Great job all. TurnerX19 please finish that Corvette.

ddavidv email me for your info so I can get you that certificate.

geodotLdotrooney@gmail.......

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K6ARohetAlJkx4sr1w7238CiVSaXz8zpxoJ0XjCGlTlGAUeqsTjpgkNhV4cysT6g