mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/29/17 10:51 a.m.

Looks like they've been removed from the site...

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
9/29/17 11:24 a.m.

Ive heard a few bad things about them. Probably too much liability. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/29/17 11:31 a.m.

I had one, which I modified because it was SCARY stock.  They are very flexy and have tiny little components, I really wouldn't be surprised if somebody sued after one disintegrated or flipped itself.  Mine was actually pretty great after bolting all of the pinned connections, lowering it, adding a solid deck, and putting on taller tires.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/29/17 11:51 a.m.

Oh no I hope not! Mine has been great.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/29/17 11:53 a.m.

I like mine. 

Of course, I consider it more of a "starter parts collection."  I cut it narrower, shorter, slammed it, took out a spring leaf and welded it all together. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
9/29/17 11:54 a.m.

Does this mean they'll be likely to go on closeout sale in-store?....That would be FANTASTIC!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/29/17 11:55 a.m.
dculberson said:

Oh no I hope not! Mine has been great.

Yeah, I used to have one and have been planning on buying another soon. Since they're always seemingly more expensive new, I've been checking the site every few days to see if they come down in price at all (meaning, are having a sale), but it seems they've pulled all road-going trailers.  I never had any issues with mine and really thought it was excellent for what it was.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/29/17 11:57 a.m.
Driven5 said:

Does this mean they'll be likely to go on closeout sale in-store?....That would be FANTASTIC!

Ooooh, that is a good idea--I should head to my local store tonight after work to check.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot New Reader
9/29/17 12:11 p.m.

Weird.  There are 4 in the mailer I got yesterday along with half a page of "Haul Master" trailer parts.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
9/29/17 12:11 p.m.

I've had two, but built them up considerably.  Both had solid metal floors, LED lights, etc...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/29/17 12:54 p.m.

Now that a-hole on CL is justified asking only $10 less than a new one...CUZ THER AIN'T NO MOAR!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
9/29/17 1:09 p.m.

My father bought a trailer kit at K-mart in 1983 that was exactly the same as the hf one my father in law bought two years ago. Someone has been making them for 35+ years, and they will probably still be making them in another 35 years.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/29/17 1:34 p.m.
oldopelguy said:

My father bought a trailer kit at K-mart in 1983 that was exactly the same as the hf one my father in law bought two years ago. Someone has been making them for 35+ years, and they will probably still be making them in another 35 years.

I can find it on amazon... but it is $100 more expensive for the same thing. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/29/17 1:53 p.m.

I always considered them a "trailer starter pack" more than a complete assembly. Get the base kit, modify it to your needs. My biggest gripe is the tires are not speed rated for highway use, but people do it anyway.

I ended up grabbing a fully assembled 5x8 trailer from Lowe's because even at twice the price, it still pretty darn cheap at $600. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-Trailer-5-ft-x-8-ft-Wire-Mesh-Utility-Trailer-with-Ramp-Gate/3005264

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
9/30/17 9:21 a.m.

Yeah, I towed mine on the freeway for years.  At speeds well over the recommended level.  I would've liked to have seen real 14" trailer tires on it, that would've been nice....

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/30/17 10:52 a.m.

I have one exactly like the Lowe's one above, but I got it at Tractor Supply.  There have always been cheap trailers and places to buy them.  I'm not worried about it.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/30/17 12:56 p.m.

I heard they were being recalled due to problems with the supplied tires.  If so, that suggests they'll probably be back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FdVTbCwxcGSScyLRWWNUv4QkxnycDynApTBSMPDidk4WXRIplLhK3GVff5qnWxOY