1 2 3 4
MikeSVO
MikeSVO Reader
10/7/10 9:45 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: I would like an optional police tax. "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" "Not sure officer, but since I don't subscribe to your service, I'll be on my way now. Have a nice day."

Fast Eddie wins!! haha

I'm in the 'he should have paid' category. Is $75 worth TESTING THEM to see if they'll actually come or not?

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
10/8/10 1:30 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Travis_K wrote: Not paying the $75 was stupid, but if he really offered to pay whatever they wanted for them to put the fire out, then really what it sounds like to me is that they were making an example of him, which was way out of line in that situation. I think $75 per year, or $7500 for an emergency call if you didnt pay would be fair, but not to completely refuse service for a late payment.
I live in a trailer. I'd like an interest free loan for $7500. Will you pony up the cash?

I think someone would pay $7500 for a trailer or the property its sitting on, that would be a better way to deal with it. If the trailer isnt worth $7500, dont call the fire department, or pay the $75.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/10 4:24 a.m.
Travis_K wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
Travis_K wrote: Not paying the $75 was stupid, but if he really offered to pay whatever they wanted for them to put the fire out, then really what it sounds like to me is that they were making an example of him, which was way out of line in that situation. I think $75 per year, or $7500 for an emergency call if you didnt pay would be fair, but not to completely refuse service for a late payment.
I live in a trailer. I'd like an interest free loan for $7500. Will you pony up the cash?
I think someone would pay $7500 for a trailer or the property its sitting on, that would be a better way to deal with it. If the trailer isnt worth $7500, dont call the fire department, or pay the $75.

If he has it. I have a funny feeling the guy burning trash too close to his trailer doesn't have that kinda money sitting around. Am I the only one who thinks it's odd we expect people to risk their lives to save our property? I understand the need to contain a fire so that it doesn't wipe out the neighborhood but nothing I own is worth someone elses life. I have lost things in fires before and you get over it.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
10/8/10 4:45 a.m.
Travis_K wrote:
poopshovel wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure the guy's house was a house, and he's only now living in a trailer. Also, what irks me, is that if the fire was severe/sudden enough to kill four of the family pets ("three dogs and a cat"), a small child could just as easily have died. I agree with whoever said politics shouldn't have a place in the issue.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/8/10 8:19 a.m.

What if he did genuinely forget to pay? It's funny how so many of the people that believe the individual will make a better decision are so quick to decide this guy is lying and neglected to pay on purpose.

And... These particular fire "fighters" are mouth breathing berkeleys. Every, and I mean EVERY fire fighter I know, and I know quite a few, even related to some, would say "berkeley you boss, I'm putting this fire out, whether you want me to or not. Fire me if you must" for the simple love of fighting fires. They just love to put out fires, and there is no way to know if there was no one in the house.

Joey

wcelliot
wcelliot HalfDork
10/8/10 9:06 a.m.

There is an interesting take on this in a column by Ashley Herzog this morning... turning the leftist Oberman argument on its head.

Far from being an example of the type of America tea partiers yearn for, it's rather a great example of what happens when Government runs things.

Had this been a private fire department (as implied by leftists eager to make a point about privatization), by now there would be people fired, contracts terminated, and possibly criminal charges brought.

But since it was a government program, nobody is claiming or targeting any personal responsibility (just following the rules), nobody will likely be disciplined (much less fired) and the most probable outcome is increased funding for those responsible...

Jay
Jay Dork
10/8/10 12:22 p.m.

Yeah, what irks me about this whole story is that is was ENTIRELY a bureaucratic problem. The guy didn't lose his house because he refused to pay and demanded the service for free, he lost his house because this "fire department" refused to budge on their stupid policy intended to ensure those who don't use the service pay for it anyway. Even though it would have made absolutely no difference to them if he payed on the 1st of January or two seconds before the hoses started, they refused to take his money and do the job they're in business for. He lost his house because "them's the rules."

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GT7g3ggqI0e5XZBkgb0CFWKz45ZIjqNyccAYj3Uk6jmwZVuKiBhxb0DHwkSFcPfz