1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/8/15 11:21 a.m.

I'm riding the El every day now. The train is really berking loud. I want some headphones or earphones that will protect my ears.

Any suggestions? Not getting Grado. Don't want them to be horrible audio quality, but that is a secondary requirement.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/8/15 11:31 a.m.

Shure earbuds. You want to block out the noise not fight it with sound waves.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/8/15 11:46 a.m.

You know you want to be the weirdo on the train that is wearing ear muff hearing protection with ear buds underneath. That's how I mow lawn at least!

EDIT: Well now that I'm looking they make ear muff hearing protection with headphones built in. http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-1030110-Noise-Blocking-Earmuff/dp/B004U4A5RU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444323009&sr=8-2&keywords=howard+leight+sync

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin PowerDork
10/8/15 11:47 a.m.

I've had these for 10 years or so. They were expensive, but the sound quality is great, they fit well with a helmet on (for motorcycling), and they are comfortable for hours.

Whenever I get into a plane, these go in. Turn the music on, and I could care less if that baby sitting next to me cries for the entire flight. The price was hard to swallow, but they've lasted for nearly a decade now with no issues. They have made many horrible flights, totally painless.

http://www.bigearinc.com

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/15 12:23 p.m.

I have two. One is a set of Bose QC15s that I got at Costco a couple of months ago for $240. They are fantastic. All-day comfortable, great sound, and when you flip the switch for the noise cancellation, the rest of the world disappears. I'll never get on another plane without them.

The other is a set of noise-cancelling earbuds that I use when mowing the lawn so I can listen to podcasts. They are pretty good, the little box that holds the battery and switch is kind of a pain to deal with, and the sound quality is just OK, but for what I use them for, they are perfect. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ANC23-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B004K09H32/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444324906&sr=8-2&keywords=noise+cancelling+earbuds

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
10/9/15 10:15 a.m.

I've used the Bose earbuds before, they were incredible. I don't know what wizardry they use to make them, but it's expensive.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/9/15 10:30 a.m.

If you're using ear buds now for music, you can just get a set of ear muffs to wear over them to block outside noise.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/9/15 10:31 a.m.
RossD wrote: You know you want to be the weirdo on the train that is wearing ear muff hearing protection with ear buds underneath. That's how I mow lawn at least! EDIT: Well now that I'm looking they make ear muff hearing protection with headphones built in. http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-1030110-Noise-Blocking-Earmuff/dp/B004U4A5RU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444323009&sr=8-2&keywords=howard+leight+sync

I haven't had luck with ear buds staying in place when I've done that. So now I do the opposite, ear plugs and my senheisers, volume on max.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
10/9/15 10:48 a.m.

As far as noise cancelling, I've heard that Bose is actually best there...

keethrax
keethrax Dork
10/9/15 11:00 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Shure earbuds. You want to block out the noise not fight it with sound waves.

I'm currently use Comply tips on my existing earbuds, and they seem to be working out quite well.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
10/9/15 11:44 a.m.

I want the opposite, it'd be sweet to get a pair of those new bone conduction ear phones. It creates music in your head, literally.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/9/15 12:31 p.m.

As surprising as it is, I have a ryobi set that uses their charge stick battery that I quite like when doing over the wall things. The noise cancelling is great and adjustable. It also doesn't block the frequencies of the human voice. So you can be across the pit stall and say something to be with an uncorked GTE class viper GT3-R between use and I'll hear you and not the burble and rasp of an angry V10.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin PowerDork
11/18/15 3:41 p.m.

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, as I've recently become aware that longtime GRM supporter (and advertiser) Sampson Racing has an earbud system that you guys might like. These are nearly identical to the earbuds I mentioned earlier. The video shows how they are made and fitted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6gtvlyVSVQ

Contact Sampson Racing for more info--- and tell them you read GRM!

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
11/18/15 4:09 p.m.
scardeal wrote: As far as noise cancelling, I've heard that Bose is actually best there...

They are. I don't much care for the sound quality though. It's okay, but I think that they sound a bit hollow compared to my Sennheisers. A lot of that is personal preference though.

That said I own a set of QC15s that I've traveled with and used quite extensively for the last 4 years. They're really comfortable and will block out the noise of a C-130 run-up 100 feet away as well as block nearly all the noise inside one. Also great for commercial jets.

On the bad side they require 1 AAA battery and have no pass through. Additionally when the battery gets weak they make a really annoying clicking sound as the speakers power and depower and when it's dead you have no music.

I was going to go for a set of Sennheisers but there were a number of complaints online about an issue where a high pitch, nearly inaudible, sound associated with the noise canceling gave people headaches so I decided against them. I also tried the Klipsch headphones which were awesome but I have a bit of a large head so they were pretty tight on me and I'm not sure if I could wear them all day.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/18/15 6:27 p.m.

Or, if you're a cheap bastard and broke like me. You can do what I did.

Take one pair of cheap Skull Candy Earbuds.

Grab two of the foam earplugs you keep finding in your shirt pocket when you get home from work.

Grab a 5/32 hole punch from your hole punch set. (You do have a hole punch set right? If not, buy one, they come in very handy.)

Squash the ear plug flat and put a hole directly in the center.

Stretch out the ear plug and slide it on the earbud replacing the terrible rubber pieces.

Squish and roll the ear plugs just like you normally would and insert it in your ear.

They block just as much sound as the earplugs normally do. They fit one million times better. They don't pull out easily. You can listen to the music at a much lower volume than previously. The bass sounds lot's better. They fit comfortably under a helmet.

It's cheap and it works great.

2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
11/19/15 8:42 p.m.

koss ear bud

I'm on set 3 or 4 of these. Love them, cheap. Cheap but sound good and block out most things. The piece in your ear is a foamy that you squish like the foam ear plugs.

octavious
octavious Dork
11/20/15 8:28 a.m.

https://www.plugfones.com

Boom!

I've been using these a set of these forever on my motorcycle. (which is allowed in TN). My helmet is pretty bad at wind noise, but not with these, it is all gone. I heart them...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/20/15 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock:

That's a damn good idea. I might try it with a set of my favorite $6 Panasonics: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448050822&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+ear+buds

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/20/15 2:52 p.m.

Any suggestions for a good set of noise cancelling headphones that also includes a microphone for use during phone calls? I would like to find a good pair that I can also use for the dozens of conference calls I have for work.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
11/20/15 5:08 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

Bose, Sennheiser, and Klipsch all come with an interchangeable cable that adds the mic and volume control with active noise canceling.

Audio Technica consistently gets good reviews as well but I don't think they offer a mic connection.

Spiderwing
Spiderwing New Reader
1/26/16 9:05 p.m.
scardeal wrote: As far as noise cancelling, I've heard that Bose is actually best there...

Totally agree. I've been using Bose Canoes more than 6 months now and it has served it's purpose completely.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
1/27/16 4:54 p.m.

speaking of headphones, this will be third season at the local dirt track every sat night. it gets loud all night and i really should do something thats light weight and low profile since i have to heaft a camera all night with me. i dont really listen to music, but i do need to be able to chat with others very easy though.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/27/16 5:56 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Shure earbuds. You want to block out the noise not fight it with sound waves.

This. My se215s will seal out everything, and they sound incredible . Those, or anything designed for soundboard/monitor work.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/27/16 7:50 p.m.

Another vote for the Bose, I was never willing to spring for them but our company gave them as a gift one year, right when I was flying to Denmark once a month. It made the long flights so much better.

daftpunkq123
daftpunkq123 New Reader
10/15/18 8:56 a.m.

recently i was looking for earbuds for my new phone, and i must say there are tons of options in the market, most of earbuds are low priced but quality is low too, i would suggest you to follow up these two guides as they contain alot of information about which things to consider before buying any earbud. i hope my comment will help you.
1. {Canoe Removed}

2. {Canoe Removed}

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E3hR8aoltkr5IYqkq5M9sfN8ZcxDOiTd9Sii9WGWyko8ncATXHyAB1JXV55BP2Y8