1 2
Recordspinner
Recordspinner New Reader
3/9/22 8:39 a.m.

What are your thoughts on lifted, noisy trucks?  Are they a valuable form of self expression like stance cars or low riders, or a nuisance that simply makes our streets and towns noisy and polluted?

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/9/22 8:52 a.m.

Abe simpson - GIF on Imgur

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/9/22 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Recordspinner :

I'm not a fan of bro dozers mainly due to the attitudes of the owners.  But I do like an old school jacked up 4x4. Square body chevys look so good lifted 6" on 35s.  I like a little beef to the exhaust note but straight pipes sound like hammered ass. I'm not a fan of diesels.  

So I guess I kinda fall in the middle. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/9/22 8:55 a.m.

I think people who make and drive them daily are idiots.  My boss took a perfectly brand new Wrangler Unlimited and ruined it that way.  Now it's awful as both a daily driver and a Jeep.

Fortunately, there's no law that says I have to have one, or that they can't.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/9/22 8:57 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Right behind you.

Recordspinner
Recordspinner New Reader
3/9/22 8:58 a.m.

Before anyone makes fun of me, I actually kind of like lifted trucks.  But, they kind of annoy everyone who does not like cars like we do.  They're like cat back exhausts, or stance.  You and I might think they're cool, but no one else understands.  I think that's what this is about.  They like the noise and towering above everything else.  But maybe you like a muscle car, or I like a JDM Nissan.  We all like such different things.  That's what I have to tell myself every time someone's diesel, lifted truck whistles in front of my house.

Recordspinner
Recordspinner New Reader
3/9/22 8:58 a.m.

I just think they're kinda dumb.

I think they are kinda dumb, but I also think alot of dumb loud slow cars are dumb. There was a straight piped V8 lifted Silverado and a straight piped small block nova with big bfgs on it at a intersection a few weeks ago and I really didn't like either. I get the appeal, just not for me. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/9/22 9:27 a.m.

I just assume the owners are douches because most of them drive and act like douches.

Also rolling coal people are all douches.

Edit: this is aimed at the brodozer crowd. You know the perfectly clean ones with a lift and low pro tires usually.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/9/22 9:30 a.m.
Recordspinner said:

Before anyone makes fun of me, I actually kind of like lifted trucks.  But, they kind of annoy everyone who does not like cars like we do.  They're like cat back exhausts, or stance.  You and I might think they're cool, but no one else understands.  I think that's what this is about.  They like the noise and towering above everything else.  But maybe you like a muscle car, or I like a JDM Nissan.  We all like such different things.  That's what I have to tell myself every time someone's diesel, lifted truck whistles in front of my house.

Your right to self expression ends where it becomes an imposition or hazard to others. If you modify a vehicle in a way that it legitimately disturbs or disrupts people, or that it becomes a health or safety issue, that is wrong.

If you drive a van with pictures of demons or scantily clad people on the side, some people might be offended, but that's not harming anyone. If you like muscle cars with giant supercharges coming out of the hoods and political stickers on the back, same deal. If you lower your '64 Impala so that it scrapes on every speed bump, that's your business.

If you strait-pipe a car or motorcycle so that the exhaust is so loud that people can't hold conversations while you drive past, you're disrupting other people's lives.

Modifying a diesel truck to roll coal so it belches unburned smoke into people's faces next to your vehicle, also wrong.

Modifying a vehicle to make it unsafe to those around you when you operate it on the street because you can not see, stop, or perform basic avoidance maneuvers properly, also wrong.

Note that these things don't necessarily preempt a modest raise on a truck or Jeep. But many people with lifted or modified trucks have done so to the extent that they're no longer safe or considerate to others. Same way that lowering a sportscar and putting an aggressive muffler on is fine, but slamming it with absurd camber that ruins handling and braking, and then straight piping it is not cool.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/9/22 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I was going to come and comment, but you've done my job for me.  Well said.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/9/22 9:33 a.m.

They are non of my business.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/9/22 9:37 a.m.

The ONLY thing about loud, lifted trucks that I find objectionable is that the bumper height is often at a level which will not engage the bumper of any vehicle they might collide with.  This, to me, seems an egregious offense, and should be punishable by fines and public beatings.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/9/22 9:39 a.m.

Mall crawlers annoy me, but I guess it's self expression. I feel pretty Europhile (I am not) when I respond to one of my kids "Why don't you like that [badly lifted underbody LEDs lighting up... wheel wells? with no sidewall and exhaust stacks coming up through the bed and truck nuts for good measure" with "Because I am not eight years old".

I can appreciate function, you show up on Monday with your truck all muddy and worked-over looking because you did exactly that, that's cool. If you insist on driving a lifted SUV with mud tires even though you've never gone off road once, every single day and complain about gas prices, I am going to roll my eyes.

I can't draw a hard and fast rule as to why.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/9/22 9:59 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

The ONLY thing about loud, lifted trucks that I find objectionable is that the bumper height is often at a level which will not engage the bumper of any vehicle they might collide with.  This, to me, seems an egregious offense, and should be punishable by fines and public beatings.

This falls into the category of modifying vehicles so they are no longer safe to people around you.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/9/22 10:14 a.m.

When someone pays for my vehicle,  then they can tell me what to do with it. When I buy someone their vehicle, then I will dictate what they do with it. Its not your pig. Its not your farm. Why do you care?

I wish more people could see this.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/9/22 10:19 a.m.
Appleseed said:

When someone pays for my vehicle,  then they can tell me what to do with it. When I buy someone their vehicle, then I will dictate what they do with it. Its not your pig. Its not your farm. Why do you care?

Refer to Beer Baron's post above.  That's the extent of it.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/22 10:26 a.m.

I'd rather have another lifted truck than a stanced pile of crap if I had to pick. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/9/22 10:27 a.m.

I couldn't care less how people mod their vehicles anymore, but when they use said vehicle to be a nuisance, that does bother me.

Case in point: we have a Whistlin' Dieselbro that lives in the neighborhood behind us. He gets up early every day to warm it up (like 4:30AM) and if we have the windows open, it's loud enough idling to wake the whole neighborhood up. Then, in the wee hours, he proceeds to floor it out of his driveway and drive like an idiot, spinning tires and all that. This is just about every day. Any time he's behind the wheel of that thing around the neighborhood, it's loud noises and tires spinning. You can hear it coming miles away. It's only a matter of time before he loses control of that thing and hits someone or something. 

Again, I have two modified vehicles I'd consider pretty loud, but that truck wakes the dead and is beaten within an inch of its life every day. It's definitely more on the operator than the object. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/9/22 10:47 a.m.

I think people seem to ignore how much "sound" can ruin out lives. 

People are like "oh just close your windows". Wait, so the sound of your truck overrides my ability to get fresh air into my house?

"Just move!" - Oh, so now I've got to take a financial loss because of your loud truck?

"Just ignore it!" - Sorry, some people can't. And they shouldn't have to. 

I don't care about the lift. Is dumb, but dont care. 

I do care about the sound. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/9/22 11:09 a.m.

Beer Baron has said it better than I could piece together a statement.

I see a vehicle like this (which is dozens of times a day)

And all I can think is, This person is ok with killing someone for the sake of looking "cool"

Take a truck that is already too tall and with too much frontal area, get it even higher and then replace the bumper with a battering ram that no car can withstand an impact from. Add in the fact that every truck like this is driven with zero regard for anyone around it and the roads are significantly less safe.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/22 11:29 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Your right to have a pig ends at my farm.

I have no problems with lifted trucks, or loud trucks. I have problems with law breaking trucks. Things like a bumper that sits taller than my roof, lightbars all over (turned on of course), giant hitch stinger in place, wheels that stick out of the wheelwells with no flares, no mud flaps, and removed/diabled emissions systems are all not only illegal they also make it harder for those of us with modified vehicles that follow the law.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/22 11:36 a.m.

I drive a loud and tall truck (No lift kit) and I resemble these "douche comments".

That is all I have to add to this

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/9/22 11:43 a.m.
Javelin said:
Appleseed said:

Your right to have a pig ends at my farm.

I have no problems with lifted trucks, or loud trucks. I have problems with law breaking trucks. Things like a bumper that sits taller than my roof, lightbars all over (turned on of course), giant hitch stinger in place, wheels that stick out of the wheelwells with no flares, no mud flaps, and removed/diabled emissions systems are all not only illegal they also make it harder for those of us with modified vehicles that follow the law.

Are you guys quoting General McClellan for humor's sake? I really really hope so.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/9/22 12:14 p.m.

I owned a '73 Ford stepside with a 14"  lift (leaf springs arched to hell up front, massive custom blocks in the rear) and 44" boggers many years ago. It was probably as dangerous to the public as it was to the driver. Cherry bomb mufflers with turndowns behind the cab. 20 year old me thought it was awesome to look at, but it was a nightmare to drive. Climbing into the cab required using the tire as a step and pulling yourself in by the steering wheel. Noisy, sketchy, everything was on a "1-2" reaction delay. Now that I'm 44 years old...I'd probably own another one.

Like this but stepside:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WxFzhsObKYoDjmSr6spNhhKhFH1ZhrXyH6bX9CMm1EHIfjkaHybKZUlFADWCspNV