1 2
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/20 3:49 p.m.
Wally said:

I beg everyone, please don't look up "Skiing Mt Baldy" on Urban Dictionary.

I shudder to think what Wally has added on Urban Dictionary now.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/26/20 4:11 p.m.
oldopelguy said:

Double check your ticket, does it actually say thr word "parking" on it? Because if you are in the car technically it's "standing" not "parking" and you bet your butt I'd have those two term definitions and the relevant code references down pat when I was talking to anyone. 

I say parking ticket. The citation reads at the very top in big bold white letters with red background "PARKING CITATION." The violation reads: "3.24.060 (A) MC METER EXPIRED"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/26/20 5:52 p.m.
Wally said:

That's my line. 

[edit]  But I have to admit, yours is funnier. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
2/26/20 7:18 p.m.

There's no way they can issue a warrant for an unpaid parking ticket, as there is no proof you were the person responsible. They can issue a fine to the registered owner, and eventually flag the plates, but a warrant for you is not happening. 

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/20 8:14 p.m.

Steve_Jones said:

There's no way they can issue a warrant for an unpaid parking ticket, as there is no proof you were the person responsible. They can issue a fine to the registered owner, and eventually flag the plates, but a warrant for you is not happening. 

There most certainly is.  It happened to me.  I had an arrest warrant for a parking ticket in PA.

In CA, (which is an administrative state) you are liable as the vehicle owner.  I bought a step van in CA with no title.  Normally, getting a title can be done with some headache in CA, but I decided to punt and I traded it for a laptop. Months later I got a call from the previous owner PIIISSSED off, because the guy I traded it to abandoned it on a street and he was getting mail about it, including the threat of arrest.  Sadly (but also fortunately), he passed away before we had to dive into that legal nightmare.

Think about it.  If someone dumps their used oil barrel on your lawn in the middle of the night, who pays the fine for environmental damage?  You.  Your property.  If I loan you my car and you go get a parking ticket, the ticket isn't associated with a driver's license, the CAR is ticketed.  Saying you weren't driving is not a defense.  The ticket goes with the car.  If no one pays, the trail leads to the owner.  The owner of the vehicle is responsible for the ticket regardless of who was driving it.

Or how about this?  My friend in college borrowed his roommate's car and promptly wrapped it around a tree and fled the scene.  Who did they call?  The roommate.  Had he reported it stolen?  No.  If my friend hadn't been a good guy and owned up to it, the bill would have been the roommate's responsibility.  If he didn't pay, it's the roommate who gets in trouble.

I've been involved with two situations exactly like this; one in CA, one in PA.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/26/20 9:28 p.m.
Wally said:

A couple of hip young guys at work were joking about the one guy giving the other guys wife a "dirty sanchez".   They were totally cracking up and high fiveing each other.  

Later I looked it up on the UD site and my eyes bugged out when I read what it was.   Wow - who does that?  

Catatafish
Catatafish HalfDork
2/26/20 11:13 p.m.

An arrest warrant for a parking ticket? America the land of the free is a joke now right?

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/27/20 12:00 a.m.

In reply to Catatafish :

Effectively one is being treated as if there is contempt. The individual is unresponsive to the court and the system does not like that.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/27/20 6:29 a.m.
Catatafish said:

An arrest warrant for a parking ticket? America the land of the free is a joke now right?

Perhaps you haven't heard of civil asset forfeiture either?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/27/20 9:00 a.m.
aircooled said:

LA like money... gimmi, gimmi, gimmi.... (pooping or shooting heroin on the street is juuuuuuussst fine though)

Listen to the interview with Adam Corolla by Tucker Carlson recently and he specifically addresses this. 

Homeless people pooping on the sidewalk don't have any money to extract, so the state ignores them. 

EDIT: Found the clip. 

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6131426477001#sp=show-clips

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
2/27/20 11:49 a.m.

Reminds me I believe I have an open parking ticket from New Orleans for a downtown stop me and the ex-SWMBO made on our way home.  1994 maybe?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
2/27/20 12:02 p.m.

besides the traffic, the tickets and the high prices, it's nice to hear you like it here!   I'm in that area... el segundo.  let me know if you ever need any help or a place to work on a car!

regarding the original issue - if the timeline is right, that is messed up.    bad timing - you must have landed just as they did

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/20 12:10 p.m.

I love parking tickets. I love them even more than the city that is writing them. 90% of my work is time + materials so I double them and pass them on to the customer. 

Since we do a fair amount of work for the city, they get to pay their share and then some. 

Of the 30 or so parking tickets I average a year, I net better than $1000. Money in the bank. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/20 12:12 p.m.

Its like that old fairy tale.  If you don't pay the troll he will eat you.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/20 12:22 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I kept a few tickets in my glovebox. When I was parking someplace sketchy, I'd put one of the old tickets under my wiper.

Funny, I always just pull one off a nearby car and stick it under my windshield wiper…keeps the glove box tidier.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
2/27/20 12:42 p.m.

I would ask for ,a court date, meter maid doesnt show, it gets tossed, if he/she/it does, make them say you were in the car when it was issued and it should be dropped.  SHOULD

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cHzKpRHaR9SVhrpwWu26WVqnM9qj9osocgdBuyAOnd03VVm7pw4A3sc7uHBx9h5S