1 2 3 4 5
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/5/21 10:41 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Reduced calorie or light or low fat or whatever Miracle Whip.  Gotta love the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

I will never understand people who eat dry sandwiches.

There are much better tasting things than mayo for sandwiches. BBQ sauce for one. Or use quality meats and fresh bread and hey, no dryness to need to counteract.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/21 11:36 a.m.
CJ (FS) said:

A favorite of our friends north of the border.

"Creamy"?

Mixing fruits and veggies in mayo seems kinda gross to me, but not as much as the idea of "chunky" mayo.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/5/21 2:17 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
CJ (FS) said:

A favorite of our friends north of the border.

"Creamy"?

Mixing fruits and veggies in mayo seems kinda gross to me, but not as much as the idea of "chunky" mayo.

Not sure which border that is north of, but I'm north, and that is both unfamiliar and repulsive to me.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/5/21 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

It's also Photoshopped.

(agreed on the repulsive part)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/5/21 3:58 p.m.

If you ever do Shake 'n Bake chicken, squirt a Tsp to Tblsp of Siracha Mayo into the egg mix before rolling in the crumbs.

Adds a bit of zip to your lip!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/5/21 4:02 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Even the Dukes part of it.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/5/21 4:33 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Here is what it really looks like:

Duke's Mayo | Wellspent Market

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/5/21 4:37 p.m.

Banana ketchup was surprisingly not bad. I'd use it long before Mayo

mtnbiker4evr13
mtnbiker4evr13 New Reader
5/6/21 12:52 p.m.

Being a northern transplant in the South... there has been great pressure to accept Dukes Mayo and denounce all others. There are many southern things I have accepted, Vinegar BBQ, Pork & Pickles, Biscuits for all occasions, saying "Bless it".

However with Dukes I have yet to do so and prefer Hellmann's. Post Christmas Ham Salad just wouldn't be the same with a different homogenized fat holding it together  

wae
wae UberDork
5/6/21 1:06 p.m.
RevRico said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Reduced calorie or light or low fat or whatever Miracle Whip.  Gotta love the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

There are much better tasting things than mayo for sandwiches. BBQ sauce for one. Or use quality meats and fresh bread and hey, no dryness to need to counteract.

The mayo isn't there to counteract dry bread, it's there because mayo is delicious.  Same reason I use A1 sauce on a pork chop, barbeque sauce on something that's been perfectly dry rubbed, or horseradish on a melt-in-your-mouth pot roast.  The main attraction doesn't "need" anything else but I get yelled at when I eat condiments with a spoon.

Brian(formerly neon4891)
Brian(formerly neon4891) MegaDork
5/6/21 7:03 p.m.

Grew up in a Miracle Whip house, converted to Mayo. I'm not picky. I tend to buy Wegmans store brand because it's cheap but I'll use anything. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/6/21 10:25 p.m.
mtnbiker4evr13 said:

Being a northern transplant in the South... there has been great pressure to accept Dukes Mayo and denounce all others. There are many southern things I have accepted, Vinegar BBQ, Pork & Pickles, Biscuits for all occasions, saying "Bless it".

However with Dukes I have yet to do so and prefer Hellmann's. Post Christmas Ham Salad just wouldn't be the same with a different homogenized fat holding it together  

Forgive my ignorance, what is "ham salad?"

Is this like chicken or egg salad, but with ham? I've never seen or heard of anyone doing such a thing.

*Fair point, I'm from and live in Oklahoma, where we have some midwest stuff, southern stuff, SW stuff, and hispanic stuff, and more irish and italian stuff than you'd think.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
5/7/21 1:14 a.m.

I'm kinda lazy, so something in a squeeze tube. Usually hellmans or target/hyvee brand. Kewpie for at home spicy mayo. Recently I've been using parmesan garlic sauce or Russian/Greek dressing on my sandwiches.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/21 6:54 a.m.

Laugh if you want but Whole Foods organic Mayo is next level amazing stuff. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/7/21 10:04 a.m.
wae said:
RevRico said:
Streetwiseguy said:

The mayo isn't there to counteract dry bread, it's there because mayo is delicious.  Same reason I use A1 sauce on a pork chop, barbeque sauce on something that's been perfectly dry rubbed, or horseradish on a melt-in-your-mouth pot roast.  The main attraction doesn't "need" anything else but I get yelled at when I eat condiments with a spoon.

This.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/7/21 10:06 a.m.
z31maniac said:
mtnbiker4evr13 said:

Is this like chicken or egg salad, but with ham? I've never seen or heard of anyone doing such a thing.

*Fair point, I'm from and live in Oklahoma, where we have some midwest stuff, southern stuff, SW stuff, and hispanic stuff, and more irish and italian stuff than you'd think.

Yes.  It's surprisingly not bad on a sandwich.  Finely diced ham and pickle and maybe something else and mayo.

High school girlfriend insisted that nothing with a binding element should be called a salad.  I kind of agree, but ham flavored goo-spread doesn't quite have the same appeal.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/7/21 5:12 p.m.

In honor of this thread, what I have been snacking on since Wednesday.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/21 5:29 p.m.

(looks at the page count)

Four pages and you guys are still talking about mayonnaise?

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/21 5:37 p.m.

First place for me is Miracle Whip by a landslide.  Second place is Dukes.  There is no third place awarded in my house for mayo wars.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
5/7/21 5:41 p.m.

Miracle whip is not a Mayo, that stuff is horrid.

hellmans is my go to, it was all we ate until moving to Ohio. My dad married a lady who ate miracle whip. It ruins everything it touches

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/21 5:46 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

You are right, and I stand corrected.  Miracle Whip is what Mayo wishes it could be some day!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/21 5:47 p.m.

As the son of a NY deli clerk it's Hellman's and never Miracle Whip.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
5/7/21 5:52 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to dropstep :

You are right, and I stand corrected.  Miracle Whip is what Mayo wishes it could be some day!

Making it taste like miracle whip would quickly stop me from eating it. I would have to eat some mustard on my sandwich 

mtnbiker4evr13
mtnbiker4evr13 New Reader
5/7/21 9:34 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
z31maniac said:
mtnbiker4evr13 said:

Yes.  It's surprisingly not bad on a sandwich.  Finely diced ham and pickle and maybe something else and mayo.

High school girlfriend insisted that nothing with a binding element should be called a salad.  I kind of agree, but ham flavored goo-spread doesn't quite have the same appeal.

Yep thats it basically. Pickle relish, ham, mayo... seasoning. Might be a more southern Ohio-West Virginia thing, beet pickled eggs, fried corn mush, etc.. 

Also goo spread is texturally problematic... salad is way better.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/7/21 9:55 p.m.
dropstep said:
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to dropstep :

Making it taste like miracle whip would quickly stop me from eating it. I would have to eat some mustard on my sandwich 

You say that like it's a bad thing.

But since you brought up mustard in a mayo thread, I think I'm contractually obligated to post this.

(tl;dw: there is mustard in it)

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sNLq7XOKvrSLDbjHZBjtTvXmWv0A9X3bcMq9B6pZSY2zK5ybhbm6tQShPthqxZHU