mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/08 2:58 p.m.

ok.. time to get your thinking caps on. In the late 80s (maybe very early 90s) one of the companies in germany that modified vw cars made their own two seater sports car. It used the GTI engine in a mid-engined configuration.

It's most notable features was a pivoting hardtop that literally dropped back behind the seats without needing to fold and it had hidden headlights. These lights were hidded by a flap that dropped flat in front of them rather than retracting or flipping.

Sorry if I cannot offer more, I have been trying to wrack my brain for days on this, but am getting nowhere. I do remember that VW and Porsche (etc?) Magazine did a write up on it. It was a real car, something you go to a showroom, buy, and drive.. but only in europe.

anybody help me?

Stuc
Stuc Reader
7/28/08 6:21 p.m.

I think its in your head man

Luke
Luke Dork
7/28/08 6:38 p.m.

The only car close to your description that I can think of, is the Volkswagen SP2. Only it was Brazilian built in the 70's, as a hard-top coupe, powered by a rear mounted air-cooled motor.

However, wikipedia makes mention of an SP3 prototype using a 1.8 watercooled powerplant:

An attempt to resolve SP's main problem, lack of engine power, was called "SP3 project". It would be basically an SP2, but with a larger 1.8L "AP" engine, watercooled, 8,5:1, 100 cv SAE at 6000 rpm and twin carburators, all "borrowed" from the Brazilian version of the Passat TS. Although at the factory, a prototype was made at Dacon.

Josh
Josh Reader
7/28/08 7:22 p.m.

I can't personally identify the car you are seeking, but it certainly sounds like something Rinspeed would have done.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/08 12:39 a.m.

The Herb Adams Jackrabbit is as close as I can come up with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5xgglhqEWg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CmBoOyH2rJfqHhhrpkqkU7IiMUd2ZSi3rG2NT6LJv1MhzxZ5Y6jmDm4IAhgCiRRM