1 2 3
grtechguy
grtechguy Dork
6/12/08 6:10 p.m.

In Michigan....

1. Climax (I got off there today)
  2. Hell.....need to visit, just to say I've been there and back.
  3. Paradise.......got hell, might as well go the other way.
NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
6/12/08 6:17 p.m.

We have a Climax in Georgia! Also some place called Deep Step, and my favorite, Frog Lick.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/12/08 6:17 p.m.

In CA (off the top of my head):

1. Weed
  2. Berkeley (but only funny for people on this board)

Actually, some town names in the Central Valley are a little weird if you translate them into English:

1. Vacaville = Cow Town
  2. Manteca = Lard
  3. Los Banos = the bathrooms (actually it's 'The Baths', but that's not as funny)
Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
6/12/08 6:22 p.m.

Duckabush, Kooskooskie, Humptulips, Puyallup, Forks and George, among others here in WA....and Seattle shoulda kept its original name, Duwumps.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/12/08 6:23 p.m.

Hehe "Duwumps" sounds like a crappy Hip Hop group.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/08 6:31 p.m.

Humptulips? What kind of perverts....

I kinda like Caliente, NV. It's descriptive.

Colorado has all the cool mining names. Slumgullion Pass, for example. And Crusty Butt, but it's spelled Crested Butte.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/12/08 6:43 p.m.

We have Howie-in-the-Hills here in Florida. (And yes, they spell it with all the hyphens: www.howeyinthehills.org.)

Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
6/12/08 7:00 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: We have Howie-in-the-Hills here in Florida. (And yes, they spell it with all the hyphens: www.howeyinthehills.org.)

Since when do they have hills in Florida??

In Pennsylvania we also have a Paradise, near by is Bird in Hand, and a little further north is Jim Thorpe, most interesting for the fact that Jim Thorpe had nothing to do with the town. The town of Mauch Chunk decided to name the town after the dead athlete.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/12/08 7:09 p.m.

We have Ninety Six, Round O, Green Pond and the oddly named North. As in North, South Carolina.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/08 7:43 p.m.

Down in Cape May country, here in Southern New Jersey, the townships are oddly, though descriptivly named..

Upper, Middle, and Lower.

My favorite was a road that finally got paved and made official.. it's name "dirt road"

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
6/12/08 8:37 p.m.

I think Pennsylvania wins, as someone mentioned above.

Paradise, Bird-In-Hand, Blue Ball, and Intercourse, all within 30 miles or so of each other.

And let's not forget all the Indian-named places...Schuykill (SCOO-kill), Susquehanna, Manayunk (MAN-ee-unk), Conshohocken, and then Bryn Mawr and Bala Cynwyd (Dutch?)...

Australia has the F-bomb as the name of a town...I remember reading an interview with the mayor, he said American tourists took the town's welcome sign within two days of them putting a new one up, so they stopped.

oldsaw
oldsaw New Reader
6/12/08 8:47 p.m.

Howey-in-the-Hills actually has some elevations changes! BTDT, no shirt.

Then there's Mount Dora just a few miles away. Not much of any kind of "mount" there, so maybe the founding fathers gave an honored citizen her place in history.

mtn
mtn Dork
6/12/08 8:50 p.m.

Gay Michigan Thats all I can think of. Anybody ever read the book Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon? He mentions a bunch of the oddly named towns in the nation, but I can't remember any of them.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
6/12/08 9:12 p.m.

I've been to all these towns:

Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey (yes, with the hyphens too)

Bivalve, New Jersey---A small fishing town in NJ. Owes its name to the rich oyster beds thriving locally (It's on the Delaware Bay). When I was a kid, I remember going there and most of the secondary streets were "paved" with crushed oyster shells.

New Providence, New Jersey. Originally called "Turkey, NJ", but they renamed the town after a local church collapsed and no one inside it was injured.

Double Trouble, New Jersey

Berkeley, New Jersey---also Berkeley Heights, New Jersey

Intercourse, Pennsylvania---enough said

Blenheim, New Jersey---only interesting to me because I was born in Blenheim, England

Carson
Carson Reader
6/12/08 9:15 p.m.

We have Lizard Lick, NC

And Bat Cave, NC

cygnusx1
cygnusx1
6/12/08 10:00 p.m.

I drove through Bucksnort, TN on the way to the grand Canyon.

How about Lake Chaubunagungamaug in NH.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/12/08 11:10 p.m.

There's a Climax, Minnesota as well. There's also a Fertile and a Remer.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
6/12/08 11:37 p.m.
cygnusx1 wrote: I drove through Bucksnort, TN on the way to the grand Canyon.

Seems kinds out of the way, doesnt it?

LOL

We have Cumming, GA.

Doesnt get much worse than that if you ask me.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
6/13/08 3:26 a.m.
Hocrest wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: We have Howie-in-the-Hills here in Florida. (And yes, they spell it with all the hyphens: www.howeyinthehills.org.)
Since when do they have hills in Florida?? In Pennsylvania we also have a Paradise, near by is Bird in Hand, and a little further north is Jim Thorpe, most interesting for the fact that Jim Thorpe had nothing to do with the town. The town of Mauch Chunk decided to name the town after the dead athlete.

Wasn't that a hot-bed of Molly Maguirism, or are you still not allowed to talk about that?

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
6/13/08 3:31 a.m.
and then Bryn Mawr and Bala Cynwyd (Dutch?)...

the latter has definitely gotta be Welsh, if not both, the Mollys had a time with those boyos.

h0ser81
h0ser81 New Reader
6/13/08 4:09 a.m.

There's also Rough and Ready, PA as well. And yes Bala Cynwyd is Welsh. Named by the Welsh coal miners that settled the town.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/13/08 5:45 a.m.

I think we win here in PA, but I've been to some other places and have the photos to prove it (though they are on some kind of ancient format called 'prints').

Fiat, Ohio (I may be wrong on that. It may be Indiana). Speed, TN Dog Walk, KY and I just saw on Dave Ramsey's show this week a photo of the welcome sign to Tightwad, MO. Pop. 63.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/13/08 5:46 a.m.

You guys have hills?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/13/08 6:21 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
You guys have hills?

Well, down here 2 feet elevation counts as a hill. You can stand on a tuna can and see all of SC.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar New Reader
6/13/08 6:41 a.m.

Big Bone Lick, KY.

There's a park there. My parents told me about going there and I had to ask them to stop. There are some things that your kids just don't need to know.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AA96dP6cU2Z0JTuXXNEmePN3jRy6SScmIiycVLs52hrkxoXOfN8AA3MrIuqkOxsX