spitfirebill
spitfirebill Reader
6/13/08 6:59 a.m.

Enigma, Georgia

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/13/08 7:02 a.m.

There's a Speed, Indiana.

We have Liberal, Kansas - that one always cracked me up.

I've been to both Hell and Nowhere Arizona.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
6/13/08 7:05 a.m.
racinginc215 wrote: PA whatever Michigan wins with one road sign and exit. Take I-75 and exit 69 then go east or west on Big Beaver. Big Beaver Exit Might not be a town but it's a hell of an exit.

Hey, I've seen that sign!

It's pretty close to ~BeaveRun~

Years ago, New Jersey had a "Route 69". I remember, because Trenton State College (where I went to school in the 60s), was on that road. They finally changed the name to "Rt. 31". They had to....too many folks were stealing the signs.

cwh
cwh New Reader
6/13/08 7:12 a.m.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Yeehaw Junction FL yet. Nothin' but an intersection in the middle of nowhere with 2 bars.

slefain
slefain Dork
6/13/08 7:28 a.m.

Buck Snort, Georgia

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
6/13/08 8:33 a.m.
nutherjrfan wrote:
and then Bryn Mawr and Bala Cynwyd (Dutch?)...
the latter has definitely gotta be Welsh, if not both, the Mollys had a time with those boyos.

How do you pronounce Bryn Mawr,and Bala Cynwyd? Those are some serious funky spellings.

scottgib
scottgib New Reader
6/13/08 8:42 a.m.

In my home area in NC:

Loafers Glory,

Pigeon Roost

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
6/13/08 8:42 a.m.

We in PA have multiple Beavers.

Also a Mars and Slippery Rock.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/08 8:43 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Australia has the F-bomb as the name of a town...I remember reading an interview with the mayor, he said American tourists took the town's welcome sign within two days of them putting a new one up, so they stopped.

Austria, not Australia. Oz would know better.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/13/08 8:57 a.m.
cwh wrote: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Yeehaw Junction FL yet. Nothin' but an intersection in the middle of nowhere with 2 bars.

There's a Monkey Junction just outside of Wilmington, NC. http://www.monkeyjunctionnc.com/

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/13/08 9:41 a.m.

Scaggsville is tops for Maryland, imo.

We do have Burning Tree, which isn't too far away from Charred Oak oddly enough.

There's Collision Corner, which is near Skidmore, but not Dentsville. Has nothing to do with either Detour or Mechanics Valley.

Crapo, Frogeye, Bivalve, Blueball, Indianbone, Mousetown, Unicorn, Tuxedo, Rabbit Town, and Boring are also rather unique names.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/13/08 9:41 a.m.

Fishkill, NY.

I don't know too many weird ones in Indiana yet.

wetpossum
wetpossum New Reader
6/13/08 10:14 a.m.

Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. Named after the game show, when they dared a city to change their name for a prize.

And I've been to Intercourse, and I took lots of pictures of "Welcome to Intercourse" signs

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
6/13/08 10:32 a.m.

Fort Spunky, Texas, near where I'll be working next week.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
6/13/08 10:40 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote:
racinginc215 wrote: PA whatever Michigan wins with one road sign and exit. Take I-75 and exit 69 then go east or west on Big Beaver. Big Beaver Exit Might not be a town but it's a hell of an exit.
Hey, I've seen that sign! It's pretty close to ~BeaveRun~ Years ago, New Jersey had a "Route 69". .

North of Denton, Texas, on I-35, there is a sign that reads, "Texas Womens University Exit 469" http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2032374080

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
6/13/08 10:51 a.m.

We have Butts, GA. Then there's the little town called Social Circle.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/13/08 11:01 a.m.

Just a little north of me is a small town called Willisville. While that's not that strange by itself, every time I drive through it I'm compelled to say "Wha'choo talkin' 'bout, Willisville?" I realize it's only funny to me, but it cracks me up every time.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/13/08 11:29 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: How do you pronounce Bryn Mawr,and Bala Cynwyd? Those are some serious funky spellings.

Proper pronunciation would be Brinn Marr and Ballah Kinwid.

There's a Slaughter Beach in MD or DE. Sounds like a horror movie title.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/13/08 11:29 a.m.

This is pretty funny. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rabbit+Hash

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/13/08 11:31 a.m.

I saw Scaggsville, MD and Ho-Ho-Kus mentioned above.

Blowing Rock makes you think.

For years, the Baltimore beltway had a sign in the NW corner that said ":Future". I thought it was a new town or planned community by that name, but when they built the spur (795?) to Reisterstown, I realized it was just a future exit.

I have a project in Cut-N-Shoot Texas. It's a scary little town of 1,600 folks.

Jack

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/13/08 1:36 p.m.

Don't forget about Yocumtown, PA and Valley Green, PA (just a little exit where there are a bunch of gas stations, McDonalds, and Burger King).

I was driving to Taneytown, MD (also a strange one) and I saw a little sign that said "Tyrone". These little villages must have some strange residents.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/13/08 2:35 p.m.

Arkansas must take the cake for weird named towns/roads. There's Dead Horse Mountain Road, which is aptly named because it runs by Dead Horse Mountain, named because 100 years ago, that's where city folk dragged their dead horses to. Today city folk drive out that way and dump their trash and meth lab residues. Little Rock was named after a little rock. Little Flock. Mena, aledged home of the Klinton's air strip, was named after Queen Willamena of the Netherlands. Texarkana, Arkadelphia, Dogpatch, Purdy, Hasty and more.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/13/08 3:09 p.m.

Dr Hess! I deliberatly waited for you to post up Toad Suck!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/13/08 3:28 p.m.

That's a good one. Haven't been there, but I've been to Hogeye. Like I said, I think AR wins this contest.

Truth or Consequenses, NM is a good one too.

Type Q
Type Q Reader
6/13/08 5:46 p.m.

I grew up in Lansing, The place where Interstate 69 and Interstate 96 come together. Maybe John can get us pictures of that interchange?.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nl6NMi9IIl9kr3LOpWNVBFciH87NdFsvJdHiFghzhxY6i8g3YKkT2bieYgyDbclf