1 2 3
atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
6/13/08 10:19 p.m.

We also have a Beaver Ruin Rd. here in Atlanta.

rallymodeller
rallymodeller New Reader
6/13/08 10:35 p.m.

There's also a Bad Axe, MI.

I've been to Big Beaver Rd; it runs right through Troy and the north side of the Detroit suburbs.

Here in Ontario there is Swastika, right outside Kirkland Lake. Not so much funny ha-ha as funny peculiar.

There's also a place on James Bay called Moose Factory. Always wondered where they came from.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
6/14/08 8:29 a.m.
I was driving to Taneytown, MD (also a strange one) and I saw a little sign that said "Tyrone". These little villages must have some strange residents.

First one is pronounced Tawneytown after the Chief Justice who delivered the Dredd Scott decision - still has statues in his honor in Maryland. Tyrone is a modern county in Ulster, Ireland. Tir Eoghan - land of Eoin. Tir is like an Irish language version of Stan, as in Pakiferkinstan.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
6/14/08 9:04 a.m.

Georgia:

Cumming was already mentioned. Still makes me giggle when people call it "Cummings" because they don't want to say it.

Ball Ground - my sister-in-law lives there.

Dacula - Oddly enough, not pronounced like "Dracula"

Barneyville - Makes me laugh every time I see the sign.

Roswell - They've got aliens! Lots of 'em!

Oh, and we have a "Tyrone" too.

jsinnard
jsinnard New Reader
6/14/08 10:08 a.m.
Carson wrote: We have Lizard Lick, NC and Bat Cave, NC

Don't forget Duck.

My younger brother was born in Thermopolis WY.

Cbergerud
Cbergerud
6/14/08 5:15 p.m.

Vulcan, Alberta and Dildo, Newfoundland

mel_horn
mel_horn New Reader
6/14/08 5:53 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:
nutherjrfan wrote:
and then Bryn Mawr and Bala Cynwyd (Dutch?)...
the latter has definitely gotta be Welsh, if not both, the Mollys had a time with those boyos.
How do you pronounce Bryn Mawr,and Bala Cynwyd? Those are some serious funky spellings.

Easier than it looks:

Brinn-Mahr (Katherine Hepburn went to college there) and Balla Kinwid

Our early Welsh settlers gave us a lot of them: Just north of them is Cumru Township (near Reading) and to the west is Upper Uwchland (Yookland)Township.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
6/14/08 5:59 p.m.

Don't make me get out the Pennsylvania Atlas!

Here in York County we have Spry, Yoe, and Paddletown.

Back to the Welsh names; Brynfan Tydynn race track SW of Wilkes Barre) was in use in the '50s and Carroll Shelby was a participant among others.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
6/14/08 6:09 p.m.
rallymodeller wrote: Here in Ontario there is Swastika, right outside Kirkland Lake. Not so much funny ha-ha as funny peculiar.

There is (or was) a street named "Swastika" in Frederick MD. BTW, it'snot a German word but a Sanskrit(or Hindu?) word referrring to the symbol. The Germans never called it that, they called it a "hakenkreuz" or "broken cross"

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/14/08 6:20 p.m.

Bat Cave, NC

na na na na na na na na na na na BAT CAVE!

matt_fulghum
matt_fulghum New Reader
6/14/08 6:32 p.m.

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg in Webster, MA. Beat that.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
6/14/08 10:24 p.m.

I've been to a town named "Show Low, AZ". It was supposedly named how 2 brothers decided on ownership, drew low card from a deck of cards - hence Show Low and the winner drew a duece of spades whick is also the towns insignia. Also Chicken, Alaska and Eagle, Alaska plus a few other odd named eskimo villages. Kotzewbu, AK for one example. A few other i've been to but don't remember their names.

RidgeRunner
RidgeRunner Dork
6/14/08 11:53 p.m.
jsinnard wrote:
Carson wrote: We have Lizard Lick, NC and Bat Cave, NC
Don't forget Duck.

Deep Gap, Climax, Index, State Road, White Store, Supply, Askewville, Trap, Farmer, Pee Dee, Riceville (I wonder if it's full of riced out honduhs), Ansonville (Anusville?), Sparta (THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAH!), Maggie Valley (I knew a girl named Maggie... I always wanted to explore her valleys!), Gay (just a dot on a map, never heard of it otherwise), Rocky Mount (Bouldery Sex?),

And last but not least...

Cullowhee (where I went to school - in the Cherokee language it means "Valley of the lillies")

Plus there's all kinds of other names coming from native american languages that sound funny to the english ear.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
6/15/08 6:42 a.m.

There is also a Tyrone in Pennsylvania (north of Altoona, don't ask me where THAT came from!) There were rumors of a village nearby named Shoelaces, which apparently was renamed. Apparently people were reluctant to send their kids to Tyrone-Shoelaces School District... My friend's mom passed recently and we went to Punxsutawney for the funeral.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
6/15/08 8:50 a.m.
matt_fulghum wrote: Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg in Webster, MA. Beat that.

A morning radio show here in Milwaukee has a daily trivia contest, "You Can't Win", and years ago, one of the questions was to spell the name that means "fishing at the boundry neutral fishing waters."

In Wisconsin, there aren't many interesting names, but we have Rome, London, Denmark, Brussels, Belgium, Athens, Milan, Peru, Scandinavia, Eden, Modena, Genoa, Lebanon...

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
6/15/08 10:17 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:
nutherjrfan wrote:
and then Bryn Mawr and Bala Cynwyd (Dutch?)...
the latter has definitely gotta be Welsh, if not both, the Mollys had a time with those boyos.
How do you pronounce Bryn Mawr,and Bala Cynwyd? Those are some serious funky spellings.

Bryn Mawr is BRIN-more, and Bala Cynwyd is Bala CINwid.

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
6/15/08 10:31 a.m.

http://gofoo.blogspot.com/2008/03/top-50-odd-name-places-in-america.html

quick google. A bunch have been mentioned. With pics.

jsinnard
jsinnard New Reader
6/15/08 10:38 a.m.

A buddy of mine, big, tall, blonde haired, blued eyed Nordic character was from Mexico, NY.

Does that make him "mexican"?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
6/15/08 1:32 p.m.
jamscal wrote: http://gofoo.blogspot.com/2008/03/top-50-odd-name-places-in-america.html quick google. A bunch have been mentioned. With pics.

uh the title of that is 50 odd named places in America yet he has names from Canada and Australia listed...when did we acquire the land of Oz and the land of cannuks?

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
6/15/08 3:30 p.m.

Sugartit, Kentucky--across from Cincy, near Florence.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
6/16/08 2:41 a.m.
matt_fulghum wrote: Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg in Webster, MA. Beat that.

Do you know the translation for that native american indian name? It is something to the effect of "You fish this side,we fish that side,noone fish the middle" Pretty stupid huh?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C5bzAdRAjd72KqS4muxkIXXxix2Of4bwWbnRRAFixBlG7NERLQb9o2OBgSZOt7Oo