1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/27/22 3:15 p.m.

Looking at an ad for a Rover and I just LOVE the hood specifically because of the three ducts (functional??). Those ducts look absolutely like something right out of JC Whitney. That got me thinking about one of my favorite Jeeps, the 1998 5.9 Limited that also has hood louvres that look like aftermarket parts from the JCW catalog. 
That got me thinking, what other cars out there have bits and bobs that look so aftermarket you have to convince people they are from the factory? 

WPWP
Rover:

Jeep 5.9 Limited ("niner")

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/22 3:29 p.m.

US-market DC3 integra:

Looks like it had some wacky frontend conversion body kit that doesn't match the styling of other Hondas at the time or the rest of the car, but they just came that way.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/22 3:29 p.m.

The ducts on the Rover are specific to the NAS models, too. The rest of the world didn't get them AFAIR, I guess they ran too hot in Socal etc.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/22 3:31 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I think the UKDM version came with that front end, too. At least I remember mine having that kind of front end and as far as I'm aware it was totally original.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/22 3:47 p.m.

The taillights on the Ford GT have bothered me terribly since day one and that effect hasn't really faded, perhaps because they're a standout visual flaw on an otherwise great car. Most of the car is tasteful timeless design, and then you have these taillights that look like they came from an eBay store that ships things with complementary Type-R stickers.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
4/27/22 3:49 p.m.

The hood scoops on the Rover are US specific. Seem to recall that they're not ram air but just some kind of air ducting into the engine bay.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/22 4:14 p.m.

I have pulled stuff out of the wiring of the Jeep XJ that I swore was an aftermarket bodge but turned out to be OE. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
4/27/22 4:39 p.m.

My 2500 Suburban has Quadrasteer and to cover the wider rear track they stuck on these flares that look aftermarket, especially with the clearance light needed on them due to the extra width. 

this is not my truck but looks almost identical, down to the wheels. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
4/27/22 4:46 p.m.

1997-1998 Eagle Talon front bumper looks wildly aftermarket. My first car was a 97 Talon bottom of the barrel. Everyone thought I had a "body kit"! at my high school parking lot. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/27/22 5:06 p.m.

Pretty much everything on the current CTR

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/27/22 5:32 p.m.

Find me gesturing wildly to the whole car. I actually like it though. 

The 2020 Toyota Camry TRD is a Reasonably Priced Sports Sedan - YouTube

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/27/22 5:38 p.m.

Almost every Pontiac for the last ten years they were around looked like it had an aftermarket bodykit with all that side cladding.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/27/22 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

The rear spoiler as well!

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
4/27/22 5:58 p.m.

Every time the fuel filler door is a different color, especially if it's silver plastic trying to look metallic.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/27/22 6:08 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I have pulled stuff out of the wiring of the Jeep XJ that I swore was an aftermarket bodge but turned out to be OE. 

When I was helping my nephew work on his XJ, I remember thinking the exact same thing.  I want to say some of the airbag wiring harness just looked randomly added to the car.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
4/27/22 6:15 p.m.

I know the LFA is sacrosanct, but something about the way the headlights and fenders meet has always rubbed me the wrong way. It's like the headlight designer did his own thing, and then they ran out of time to integrate them with the rest of the front end so they just slapped it onto the rest of the car. And the gap between the fenders/headlights/bumper are anything but seamless. Like the supercar equivalent of Jeep Angry Eyes.

2012 Lexus LFA

2012 Lexus LFA

Lexus LFA Tribute | Video - AlwancolorShops

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
4/27/22 6:37 p.m.

Need I say more?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/27/22 7:13 p.m.

MkIV Supra with the Euro spec hood

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/27/22 7:21 p.m.

Civic Type R. The car. The whole berkeleying car. It looks like it drove through Pepboys with a magnet.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
4/27/22 7:34 p.m.

Pretty much everything Toyota did under the Scion brand. Especially the Release Series cars. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/27/22 9:01 p.m.

You mentioned the 5.9 Limited, the SRT has ducts cut into the hood as well

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
4/27/22 9:42 p.m.

I love my Mazda5. I hate these stupid taillights. 2002 trends do not belong on production vehicles. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/27/22 9:51 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/22 9:56 p.m.
Sonic said:

My 2500 Suburban has Quadrasteer and to cover the wider rear track they stuck on these flares that look aftermarket, especially with the clearance light needed on them due to the extra width. 

this is not my truck but looks almost identical, down to the wheels. 

I hope that you don't mind me being your twin.  The hummer wheels with Chevy center caps is the look I've been searching for.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/22 10:00 p.m.

Would these things count?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JVAXxnJwtsnZLtCh9aPnIhsxSwMMQ14qr4aA0MiDhdtbrBntQRdzt5yPtHsZdOEK