1 2 3 ... 6
Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/20 5:57 p.m.

Do we have one?  I've noticed some of you posting your individual projects, but maybe we could make one big mega thread of all of it.  You know... so someone 4 years from now can revive it with a canoe.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/20 6:00 p.m.

How about a link?

DIY metal brake

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/20 7:45 p.m.

Building my kids a fort.  I'm about 12 hours in to the fort part (the stand it's on was a 2 5 hr day project last fall)

End of day 1.  Frame, railing, half of the deck.

Day 2 wall framing and finished the deck.

Took 45 min today before the rain to put the roof on.  I understand now why metal roofing is so common.  It's FAST.

The kids have been helping some off and on as we build.  Hope to be mostly done this weekend.  I need trim and paint which will require a run to the hardware store..  but those are not required for water tight.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/27/20 7:12 a.m.

On car-related projects, my 1800ES project has been keeping me occupied at nights.

Around the yard....built some steps for the barn, so the wife doesn't need to use a couple of rickety cinder blocks to gain access to her chickens.

Planted 3 fruit trees and two grape vines.

Built some raised beds off the Pergola for strawberries:

And added some garden beds for veggies.

Curtis73
3/27/20 9:50 a.m.

So far I've added a door in a closet.  The white door was already there, but I couldn't really access anything on the left.  The only thing in the closet was a hanging rod for coats, so I took it all out and built some plywood shelves and added the door.  I had some scrap maple at the shop so I built the simple frame of the door from that and stretched some upholstery cloth I found in the costume shop on it.  Cut out some drywall, one new stud, good to go.

Also painted the master bedroom.

Donated blood

Cleaned my shop at the theater

Took more maple to the sawmill along with a walnut trunk

Installed a kick-ass mailbox at the theater so we can still get mail while we're not there.

Took a nice 2-hour motorcycle ride with BikerGirl, then topped off the day with some Venison filets and white wine spritzers

Still on the list:

• replace patio roof (have the materials)
  • fix an odd misfire on Huffletruck
  • order and install a fireplace
  • install 5" plank maple hardwood flooring (I'm ridiculously excited about this)
  • get the rest of this maple out of the yard
  • tear down a section of useless fence
  • rake and re-seed my lawn
  • and if I get time and motivation, I want to repaint the bike.  It's red and maroon right now but a little faded.  I'm thinking two-tone blue.
  • I might also finally get around to making a garden.  I really want one, but I'm usually away in the summer.  I keep resisting making one simply because it would have to be in my front yard and that kinda kills curb appeal.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
3/28/20 4:26 p.m.

Got stone picked up and installed as the base to a garage can hideaway ala HOA.  Just have to get the trees and bushes in over the next week to be done with it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/20 8:13 p.m.

Living room paint came out so good, I drafted my kid to help me paint the dining room. Here are a couple of in-progress shots:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/20 8:19 p.m.

I took care of this before my buddy's shop shut down for the duration.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/strengthening-structural-member/163531/page1/

Waiting for paint to dry.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/20 8:52 p.m.

And it's done less paint and trim.  

Ignore my wife, she is standing there thinking..  I can drink up here..

Curtis73
3/29/20 7:07 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Beautiful!

(the fort, not the wife.  I mean, she's beautiful, too - I'm just not going to make lewd comments on another man's lady)

Do you have more pictures?

(of the wife, not the fort)

*kidding

Curtis73
3/29/20 7:09 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Man... great colors.  Classy.  That dusty blue and that creamy color look great together.

Curtis73
3/29/20 7:10 a.m.

I ripped out a fence yesterday before the rain.  Now my yard is a bit, um, pond-like.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
3/29/20 7:22 a.m.

I cleared my downspout drain and raked all the sticks from my yard yesterday. It was satisfying. 

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/29/20 8:18 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

So the fort is for the kids? 

My wife would love a fort with a built-in wine cellar to get away from us...

einy
einy HalfDork
3/29/20 1:18 p.m.

Painting seemingly endless amounts of interior baseboards, doorframes, etc.  Also replacing the world’s cheapest interior doors with six panel solid core ones.  This project started about a year ago as an on again / off again thing, but has significantly picked up momentum in the past 2 weeks.  I have a fighting chance of finishing both the first floor and second floor before the end of 2020 at the current pace I am on !

TJL
TJL HalfDork
3/29/20 1:22 p.m.

Quick part swap on the mower went and got all "while im in there" projecty. Now i have the rear end torn apart to rebuild. I found the dust cap has been gona as long as ive had the mower. Saw leaves and dirt in there so out it goes. More parts on the way

TJL
TJL HalfDork
3/29/20 1:28 p.m.

For "free" stuff around the house, our main internet coax is ran all along the back of the house, drooping and looking trashy.  Im going to route it through the attic and down. There was another old line that was halfway ran in the rain gutter and half with this trashy one. It was no longer in use so it got pulled.  But that will take the house "offline" which wont go to well considering the work from home needs during "corn teen".

And i need to clean my gutters apparently

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/29/20 2:24 p.m.

I got some Trex decking and ripped it down to 1/2" tall.  Then I laid it down on the stainless deck of the Cadimino, after applying bedliner to the side walls.

octavious
octavious Dork
3/29/20 4:30 p.m.

Dang I missed this.  

sooooooo much yardwork, no one needs a pic of that. 

Built this for the kids though.

Curtis73
3/29/20 4:57 p.m.

Is that so your kids can beat you up at a younger age than normal?

In elementary school I showed an interest in wrestling, so my dad and I would wrestle at home.  About the time I got to age 10 and started beating him, he seemed to lose interest :)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/29/20 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 :

Dad and I joined a Judo group at FSU when I was in middle school.  We joined about two weeks late so we were constantly playing catchup and then Dad cracked two or three ribs from a bad fall.  About then we stopped going

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
3/29/20 5:28 p.m.

nocones -- Nice fort!

Uh, you know that room that you keep locked while guests are around? For me its the barn, I let it get a bit messy:

I was also rearranging and adding insulation. And taking 2 walls down. Scope creep.

So at one point I got it kinda clean.

And added a porch ...

And the new (ish) door and keyless deadbolt.

The code is "blah, mumble, mumble, blah, blah" laugh

And today we finished the framing, insulation and wall around the door. And yes every bit of wiring in the barn is hanging  loose, all breakers are cut and very soon I am getting the lights wired back up.

Next I need to add the finishing strips at the top of the wall. The next 2 sections will go quickly, no fiddly bits.

This will be the reason I don't make the 2020 Challenge, building a great shop I could have built an awesome car in, lol. laugh

octavious
octavious Dork
3/30/20 8:12 a.m.
Curtis73 said:

Is that so your kids can beat you up at a younger age than normal?

In elementary school I showed an interest in wrestling, so my dad and I would wrestle at home.  About the time I got to age 10 and started beating him, he seemed to lose interest :)

My kids are monkeys. There is an adult size set of monkey bars in the backyard with climbing holds on one side and finger boards on the other, plus a pull up bar, jungle gym, and trampoline. I made the pegboard because they tried one and liked it and I figured it would be good for rainy days. Heavy bag was for when my son practiced karate kicks and strikes but he hasn't used it in awhile. 

I made the mistake of letting them watch American Ninja Warrior Junior, and it's like they find new and stupid things to do all the time. I found one of them climbing the brick on the side of the house "because I could get my fingers in between them."

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
3/30/20 8:21 a.m.

I've built another workbench for the garage (2'x7') so I can put the old one in my basement and take better pictures of things I sell.

I also built a raised garden bed (4'x8'x12") and currently transferred over one corn and two green bean seedlings.

Aaaand I'm also slowly piecing together the 5.3 and RWD parts for the wagon.

Aaaand needing to buy a stripper lower from a local FFL so I can actually build my AR.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/30/20 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 :

Curtis, if you DON'T pick this up, I'll be disappointed in you.

Even if the motor is trash and a junky motor needs to be swapped in. 

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MEb38JnGvW4NRfcJJOcFvFkGuk4Uo7e4cI58EuM3zaYAywl1QNHNXd0O9tXdgYi7