1 2 3
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/23 9:18 a.m.

Despite the partial fleet sell off, like many (all?) GRMer I'm on the lookout for my next fun vehicle.

I've been looking for a nice X1/9 for quite a while now- having owned two before I'm well aware of how a mediocre one can get into one's wallet, so I'm really looking for a very nice one. I might even be willing to pay for a really nice one . Ideally not too far away from the Mid-Atlantic, too. Yes, I know, I'm not asking for much. I have checked XWeb and Farcebook Marketplace and am currently aware of two cars that would fit what I'm looking for (the black one MWB has advertised and a white one at Greenbrier Classic Cars). However I refuse to believe that they're the only nice ones out there that are currently for sale and given that GRMers tend to like weird cars and have their ear to the ground I was wondering if someone knew of another one for sale. After all, that's how I found my Maxton Rollerskate.

Failing that, the consolation prize would be yet another NA Miata, again in rather nice condition. I don't like the price/condition combo of most of the ones around here, but again maybe someone in GRMland knows of a car. Rough order of preference would be:

• Mazdaspeed Miata (yes, I know it's an NB). I'm aware of one for sale locally that looks quite modified but in decent condition, although it's at a dealer and I haven't had time to look at it. The only other one I'm aware of that didn't sell within a day or two looks like it needs a fair amount of work.
  • 95 M edition
  • 93 LE (the black & red one)
  • 97 M edition
  • 91? BRG

Not really looking for hugely modified cars, nice stock or nice stock that someone accidentally forgot a turbo under the hood preferred. I'm not that interested in track cars as a) I still have the Elise and b) I've not been doing much HPDE recently anyway.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/17/23 9:45 a.m.

There was just a nice X1/9 on FBM. I looked and it's already gone. iirc it was a '75 for $4k.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/17/23 10:03 a.m.

My sister in law has what I *think* is a 1995.  I know it is a M edition.  Black Cherry color.  Aftermarket radio.  Standard seats because you cannot buy covers for the M seats.  Power windows that are slow.  Some rust.  Top was replaced 10/15 years ago.  A/C does not work.  And no BBS wheels.

But it is not lowered, not raced.  Located in Arnold Maryland.  Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with her.

Scott

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/23 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

That's "merlot", BTW. Black cherry is a much darker color and wasn't used until a decade later. And if it had the unique seats and BBS wheels, it is indeed a '95. Does she still have the original seats? Those merlot Ms are the pick of the bunch.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/23 10:15 a.m.

I just happened to notice last night that BAT sold 5 or 6 x1/9s in December, but hasn't listed a single one since. 

Weird!

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Weird indeed. Oddly enough I started looking in January, go figure. 

Noddaz
3/17/23 11:10 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

No, original seats languished in my garage for a few years.  I will look, but I think I tossed them.   And the BBS wheels were gone when she bought the car.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
3/17/23 11:26 a.m.

Mine is for sale...but might not meet your definition of nice

I don't really want to sell it but I need the space for my business and this project has stalled for years now. I'd make you a GRM deal. Needs paint, an interior, and a little tuning effort. 

Build thread.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/17/23 4:58 p.m.

You need to join the enthusiast club, FLU. Those people know where all the Fiats are. 

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 5:31 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

Mine is for sale...but might not meet your definition of nice

I don't really want to sell it but I need the space for my business and this project has stalled for years now. I'd make you a GRM deal. Needs paint, an interior, and a little tuning effort. 

Build thread.

That's an interesting car, but I'm really looking for something that's not too much of a project because I still have three of those to finish. That's notwithstanding my ability to turn any vehicle into a project in short order. Plus it's on the other side of the country which is an extra challenge in this case.

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 5:32 p.m.
ddavidv said:

You need to join the enthusiast club, FLU. Those people know where all the Fiats are. 

With my ability to resist anything but temptation, that might be a bad thing.

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

The lack of a/c might be a bit of an issue. How bad is the rust?

Incorrect wheels I can deal with, any Miata I get would very likely end up on TE37s in short order anyway.

<fx: starts chanting "I don't need another project, I don't need another project">

Noddaz
3/17/23 6:14 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

The A/C is there, it just does not work.   I will get some pictures this weekend.  I don't have a lift, any pictures of areas you want in particular?

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 6:17 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Ah, OK. Rear of the rocker panels is a very common rust area. Also, any idea of the condition of the "frame rails" would be appreciated.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
3/17/23 7:43 p.m.

As a fairly long-term Mazdaspeed Miata owner, I'll say that you probably do not want a bone stock one.  The FM Little Enchilda kit really helps these, and the fun really begins if you can ditch the stock ECU.  Mine has 949 Xidas, and those are way better handling and more comfortable than the stock Bilstein struts.  Of course, your intention may be to start with stock and modify to your own desire.

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 8:40 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

For a Mazdaspeed I'm definitely not looking to pay over the odds for a cream puff that's 100% original, and a nice stock one would get burrito'd, err, enchilada'd very quickly. The one I've got my eye on does look like it's got a large part of the little enchilada or a knockoff already on it, so that might be a better starting point.

The main issue I have with NAs and NBs is that I'm not on board with the pricing. I've found a couple of really low mileage ones that might be worth the asking price, but for a lot of them the prices are in "mind altering substances must be legal where you live" territory.

Maybe I'm just yelling at clouds, but the prices for X1/9 cream puffs (even though a tad higher) somehow make more sense to me.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
3/17/23 8:45 p.m.

How far would you drive to trailer back a 1990 NA?

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/17/23 8:47 p.m.
BoxheadTim
3/17/23 8:48 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I just sold my trailer .

More serious answer, depends on how nice it is. There are a few nice, almost rust free drivers in about a 100 mile radius from here when it comes to 90-92s, so it would have to be pretty spectacular and/or low miles for me to travel much further. 

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 8:52 p.m.

You mentioned "out here in the dry west" - that might be a tad too far away, but do you mind giving me a slightly more precise location? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to put it on the forum. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/17/23 9:35 p.m.

I should have looked into where you were from before I asked.  A 27 hour drive to buy a Miata is a bit too much.

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 9:43 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

That is indeed a tad far, although I did pick up a 911 in Fresno CA last year. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/17/23 10:06 p.m.

If you have a 911 why would you want a Miata??

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 10:13 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Mainly because the three season daily 911 won't go anywhere near the track or autocross.

... and the a/c 911 Cabriolet is going to take a while to finish.

Plus I like Miatas and X1/9s. 

BoxheadTim
3/17/23 10:14 p.m.

Oh, and driving modern-ish 911 slowly is not fun. I've got a trip planned that would benefit from a slow car. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BQpBJZyhYOVmq30ujNI57w9bzw7laW9ZMID2RJrqrsTaSr40mvS6g8gtAYZg7l7g