1 2 3
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/18/23 7:58 a.m.

Midwest Bayless in Columbus OH usually has a few Fiat's for sale, in really good shape because they service them.  If you have the cash, check them out.

Midwest Bayless for sale

They had one or two X1/9s I was really tempted but out of my range.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/23 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

That's why I mentioned that I'm aware of the black X1/9 they currently have for sale . It's one of the two I'm aware of at the moment that seem to meet the "nice enough" threshold. It's also the most expensive by far, but based on the list of work they performed on it recently is really in the "just add gas" category.

BoxheadTim
3/18/23 9:07 a.m.

This is the X1/9 at MWB that I mentioned above which I believe is/was owned by a moderator on xweb: https://www.midwest-bayless.com/t-1986-X19-Black.aspx

This is the other one I'm aware of at a company called Greenbrier Classic Cars: https://www.gbrclassiccars.com/product-page/1987-bertone-x1-9

The second one appeals partially because it has a/c, although I haven't had a chance to check with them if it actually works. I do suspect however that it'll need a bunch of the service work that MWB already performed on the black one.

And while we're on the subject of linking stuff, here's the Mazdaspeed Miata that I mentioned. It's one of those that look like you need to check them out in person. There's also a grottier one that for sale that's cheaper and I think less modified, but on that one I'd have to replace the rollbar as it's got a double hoop bar that I'm pretty sure isn't legal according to any sanctioning body.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
3/18/23 9:52 a.m.

The listing for that MSM in Virginia says it's an automatic. Maybe that's a swap, but probably a typo.  It does look fairly clean.

BoxheadTim
3/18/23 10:04 a.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

I think that's a "Facebook Automatic Transmission" - the description lists it as a 6 speed manual.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/18/23 10:27 a.m.

So, run me through this.  You've got a beautiful newer 911 that'll absolutely lay waste to a track day or auto-x, then drive you home in comfort, reliably.  Let me repeat that last word, reliably!  Which is something that your luck generally doesn't allow. 

Then you've got a vintage 911 cabrio that'll do the convertible street driving thing with so much better panache than any miata or X1/9 will.

Then you've got an Elise that, while perhaps not do an auto-x or track day as reliably as the newer 911, will be such a hoot to drive.  Certainly more than a miata or a X1/9.

So what's the goal here?  To just have another car?  Because it certainly seems like you've got all the bases more than covered with what you've already got at home.  I know we're a bunch of enablers here, but.....

BoxheadTim
3/18/23 10:51 a.m.

To scratch an itch? I've owned a couple of X1/9s in the past that were more, err, budget appropriate at the time. I always liked them but these days there are few good ones left so I figured it's time to get one if I want another one before they all self compost.

The 997 is not going anywhere near the hot side of the track. I can comfortably maintain is for street use but I don't have the skill to drive one properly on the track, nor can I afford to stuff it into the wall.

The others, well, the C3.2 is a project and I'm somewhat wary of the Elise after last year's minor incident. But hopefully I'll be able to address the latter sometime this year.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/18/23 11:20 a.m.

I have a hard time believing an X1/9, in any condition, is going to be any sort of decent auto-x or track car.  Especially a reliable one.  As far as the miata, you've got an elise.  I'd rather put the purchase price money towards getting the 3.2 911 done, or the elise totally prepped or whatever....

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/19/23 12:15 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/23 10:14 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

22k and 888,000 miles!?! cheeky

It's a really good looking car, and I love those wheels.

But price is "a bit lofty" if you ask me.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
3/19/23 10:18 a.m.
docwyte said:

I have a hard time believing an X1/9, in any condition, is going to be any sort of decent auto-x or track car. 

I definitely see your 'focus on the cars you have' point and overall it is a good one.

Buuuuuut, to your quote I'm hoping to find out over the next few years. I've got an x1/9 that already has a handful of nationals wins, and I'm slowly bringing it back. Hope to see how competitive it is locally, and if I find a hotshoe to work with me, maybe bring it back to nationals.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/19/23 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'd be more worried on how reliable a 50 year old car would be for auto-x and track use.  Let's also remember the OP's generally crappy luck with cars, which have been far newer than an X1/9.

I dunno, just seems like Tim has everything he needs in the garage already.  He just has to get them going and sorted to a point where all he has to do is turn the key and go.  So why waste time and money on yet another project?  Finish the ones he has, drive them a bit to assess whether they're keepers or not and then move on from there. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/23 2:11 p.m.

And Miata pictures!

If you want more pictures, let me know.  I could write a few cliche's here but I won't.  The pictures tell most of it.

Scott

BoxheadTim
3/19/23 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Thanks, appreciate the photos. Honestly that's more of a project than I'd want right now based on the pictures. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/23 6:58 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Understood!

I will pass this along.

Scott

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
3/20/23 11:26 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

My beat to crap X19 has well over 4000 miles of endurance racing with no true mechanical issues beyond my unending fight with exhausts that seem more a me problem than a car problem.

It'll handle trackday duty just fine. I just put in a rebuilt engine to replace the still running 135k+ mile original one in an attempt to regain lost power

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
3/20/23 12:17 p.m.
BoxheadTim
3/21/23 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Old_Town :

Thanks. Not sure I've fully digested my last C&B purchase yet, plus it's on the wrong side of the country so transport costs are a considerable factor. Interesting car nonetheless.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/21/23 11:00 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Drive it home....I drove mine 9,000 miles in the past 12 months. 3200 in one 9 day blast.

BoxheadTim
3/25/23 5:44 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

It's mostly a function of time - I just don't have the time this year to do another cross-country road trip.

Based on other X1/9s this was actually not a bad price for a fairly nice car.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/25/23 11:26 p.m.
BoxheadTim
3/26/23 9:31 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I have - given the visible rust, that's way to deep into project territory. As mentioned, I've owned a couple X1/9s before and just the rust in the pictures makes me wonder how bad it is in the areas prone to structural rust.

I was out of town last week and promptly lost out on what looked like a very nice condition extremely low mileage X1/9 as I couldn't get to it in time. Same with a Mazdaspeed Miata, although that one might have been a blessing in disguise.

Is it just me at the moment or are there generally not a lot of good quality enthusiast cars for sale in the lower price brackets? There aren't that many X1/9s for sale so I'm not too surprised about that, but it seems that even $6k NA or NB Miatas around here have visible rust including holes and are generally not in great condition. Yes, I know the era of cheap Miatas is over, but still...

I might have to make alternate plans - the whole idea here was to buy material for a "hey, we're road tripping a cheap slow car around some gorgeous scenery around here" video of my 'Tube channel and for that I really need to find a car by mid-April as trip is on fixed dates.

And no, I'm not pulling a Vice Grip Garage here and buy some tetanus-mobile with no floors and no a/c that's running on 2/3rds of the cylinders on a good day .

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/26/23 7:59 p.m.

Just get the air cooled 911 cabrio fixed.  Problem solved.

CollectingJunk
CollectingJunk New Reader
3/27/23 1:39 p.m.

I've got a Mazdaspeed Miata that I've been needing to list for sale, but it's got a few quirks and would benefit from someone who can give it attention.  I've been too busy with other projects to really dive into it.  The short synopsis is; 

2004 MSM, Ti Silver
68,xxx-ish miles
Stock drivetrain with cooling mods.  Engine has 180+ compression on all cylinders.
Suspension/tire/wheel mods
Southern car, no rust.
Exterior 7/10-ish
Interior 8.5/10-ish.

It was our autocross car for 4 years and has seen some track time. It's had an intermittent no start for the past 6 months that I'm worried is the stock immobilizer doing weird things, but any aftermarket ECU would fix it.  Car is located in Huntsville, AL.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
3/27/23 5:11 p.m.
docwyte said:

Just get the air cooled 911 cabrio fixed.  Problem solved.

I mean, it's looking like a nice x1/9 is gonna cost nearly 10k. If it's less than that to get the 911 fixed, I think I'd rather drive the 911....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EL4ZhLik3s1VZCYMYMHtPQdXbHJn1DTXBr9cEzrd1fcoA2BtJeZHl6tZTCCX4zPx