1 2
Kramer
Kramer Dork
5/18/19 8:21 a.m.

My dad's drill press.  Still used.  Lathe in background. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/18/19 8:44 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

My entire shop is full of vintage tools. 

Hell, im also a vintage tool!!!

Seriously, 40s-50s power tools inly in my shop (drill press, table saw, radial arm saw, lathe, bandsaw, etc) 

Horizontal mill?

Hate to say it, but its still sitting in dads shop waiting for the time to learn how to use and restore it.

immyamb4
immyamb4 New Reader
10/15/19 7:23 a.m.

What's the name of your Garage?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/15/19 9:56 a.m.

Shoot.  When it comes to tools and equipment, as long as it's been taken care of, I'd rather have the old stuff than the new stuff.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/19 10:19 a.m.

I took in girl-spawn's trumpet to get it cleaned, and the guy at the shop has a vintage Logan metal lathe with a bit of backstory to it. Apparently it was built during WWII and the manufacturer had to get permission from the DoD to make it by proving it was required for the war effort. He restored it. We spent more time talking about the lathe than we did about the work I wanted done on the trumpet. I'll try to get a picture of it, it's pretty sweet.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/19 10:55 a.m.

my mother in law was hemming a halloween costume she made for my daughter on sunday night, and asked to use my sewing machine (MIL lives about 7 hours away, so she couldn't exactly swing home to use hers).

Not a garage tool, but MIL and I both agree the sewing machine is older that MIL is. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/19 12:10 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

My oldest tools.

1947 South Bend 9A lathe. Probably originally owned by the US Navy. One of my favorites. It's not only serviceable, it's beautiful. 

IIRC you did a build thread on this machine.  can you post the link?  I'm too lazy to search, but i think it would be a great reference as I hope to restore my Dad's lathe this winter.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/19 4:59 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

1947 South Bend Lathe Rebuild.

Edit to add: Its going to be nasty. If you don't have a parts washer get a bucket you can dump a couple of gallons of mineral spirits in. It takes some scrubbing to get the swarf and crud out of the cracks and crevices.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
th8c6WOojEPFz2HwPLIE84Qz6AFG4l1sZkRz7BT2h09oVpYq3BoINUDAgPKmiP60