1 2
Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
11/21/20 5:42 p.m.

Anyone have a recommendation for an old school skateboard forum/marketplace?  I need to replace the Tony Hawk board I sold in 1989 and eBay asking prices are down right ludicrous.  My son got his first skateboard and I thought I might join him, that is until I break a hip attempting the first ollie after 30 years.

Obviously, if one of you have something for sale, let me know.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/21/20 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

I don't,but I sure wish I still had my old Alva Skates 27" with Tracker mids and red Kryptonic 65s.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/21/20 5:55 p.m.

My parents threw away my Tony Gonzales Vision and Jeff Grosso Santa Cruz ... ever since they ask me if I want even a little paper that has my name.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/21/20 9:34 p.m.

Yeah, prime 10x30 boards command money. (Also, pro racer Andy Lally skates and collects boards.)

Not for sale, but I have these hanging in my office. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/21/20 10:10 p.m.

I used to look for old school boards like that and even used a few I found, and tried the replicas and the newer designs that have similar shape and sizes. for about 5 years that was all I rode, and I rode a lot. 3-6 hours a day, every day. It helped me get my style closer to the old clips and videos I could find and really changed how I rode and how I thought about riding. Then one day I decided to get a "regular" setup just because I hadn't done it in a while. I got a wide setup, (8.5") but still modern. The bottom line, for me, was that the newer shapes and geometry just work better. And they work better for all types of skating. I could ride in that old style just as well, and I could be more versatile at the same time. Not everyone is the same, but if all the old school guys that revolutionized the sport, Hawk, Alva, Adams, Cab,... I can't think of any that still skate those old designs. Photo shoots, sure, and their names are still on whatever will sell, but the clips and footage always show even the old school guys riding modern boards. Go to your local shop, get something wide, and just have fun. Also wear knee pads and wrist guards. 

New boards feel different, and they certainly look different, but they work better. 

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
11/23/20 9:49 a.m.

The old school 'reissue' decks have dried up a but - it's hard to find a lot of the decks that used to be commonly available - and eBay deck prices (for the most part) are pretty inflated. 

You can still find some of the stuff on the actual manufacturers websites - and at reasonable prices (often much less than eBay).  Madrid have a couple of nice 10x30 decks in the $70 to $80 range (I recently purchased one of their Mike Smith Duck reissues).  Dogtown's website still has some decks and wheels and oldskullskateboards also has a reasonable stock of the Powell Peralta stuff.  I'm  currently trying to build 3 or 4 setups - mostly for display but also for riding.  Indy 169 and 215's are hard to find but quality trucks like the Ace 66 are still available directly from their website at reasonable prices.  Places like TGM Skateboards and 7plyskateshop on eBay are good places to find inexpensive risers, wheels etc.

I built this rider triplane recently for under $175;

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/23/20 1:53 p.m.

https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/ was the go-to place for this stuff, but it's pretty dead these days.

Reissues are still being made, if that's what you're into. For instance, I have these G&S repops in my living room:

Which Hawk board are you looking for?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/23/20 3:51 p.m.

I still have this old mutt:

This is a Powell Peralta Steve Caballero deck I got back when I was in high school in the late 90's. I bought the deck from a long-defunct skate/surf shop called Hardcorps in Hull, MA from the $5 used dek bin. I kept it around for years as wall art. For the $2014 Challenge, I slapped it together as a rat deck to cruise the pits. These days, it hangs complete in the garage. When I was a kid, the older teenagers all had Powell Peraltas and this deck was the one I wanted most. As crappy as it is, I love it.

They do make repops of most of the classic and iconic decks these days, and they make great wall hangers or classic cruisers.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
11/24/20 6:41 p.m.

Ohh boy, i'm going to regret this. I did skateboard as a kid but damn that was decades ago. Been well out of the loop and don't remember anything about them anymore other than it used to be cheap and now they are expensive. Inflection? Whatever. My dilemma, my 13 year old daughter has expressed interest in skateboarding after getting taste of it with some neighborhood boys. Apparently she did well on a 30x10 but I think it's too big for her. She is 5ft 5 and skinny as heck with 7 1/2 size feet. Should I be looking at 30 x 8 or what? I don't know what is quality these days. My budget for her Christmas gift on a complete skateboard is $250. Who still makes good decks and soft wheels now? I had a Dogtown skateboard back then in the early 80's and it broke in half. Never went skateboarding again after that. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
11/24/20 8:03 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) 

This is what I need. Complete or just the deck. I must have one. 

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/25/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

Cool. That's the "Iron Cross" or "Chicken Skull" graphic. There are 3 shapes with the same graphic, and it looks like you want the latest one. Hawk stuff is pretty collectible so they're not cheap.

Pictures are from Sean Cliver's "Disposable Skateboard Bible". Tons of cool stuff in there.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/27/20 7:01 p.m.

I saw they re released my old danny sargent board, made me all nostalgic. So I went to the skate park with my gf (who rides a little) and I strained my achilies. Dont get old, it's not fun. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/28/20 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

Last time I skated with the intent on doing tricks was in college. I got together with my friend and his brother and started skating in his driveway on our old homemade ramps which he still had, just like the old days. At first, we felt great! Within 10 minutes, we had all wiped out HARD and never got back on. That was the end of that! 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
12/29/20 9:04 a.m.

Mission accomplished.  I got the two re-issues then found the OG Hawk.

Now for some trucks, wheels, and Advil. 

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
12/29/20 9:21 a.m.

Awesome.  Ace 66's, Indy 169's or even Gullwing Pro III's would work with all of those combos.  Expect to pay around $50 a set and make sure you verify the baseplate bolt pattern if you buy any 4 hole trucks.  Most of the re-issue stuff is 6 hole to work with old or new deck bolt patterns.  For the most part you can still get better prices on the manufacturers or skate shop websites than you can on eBay.  For example Dogtown's site is showing Indy 169's at $44.95.

What are you leaning towards for wheels?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/29/20 3:45 p.m.

This was my older brother's board he saved up for and bought new in the mid 80s. He passed it down to me in the mid 90s. 9.5 in wide 29 in long. Great to cruise around on. 

Do I leave it as is and hang it on the wall or strip it down to the deck? I fear if I ride it anymore it'll accelerate the splitting.

David S. Wallens
12/29/20 4:20 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Hang it as is. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/19/21 5:30 p.m.

Vision!? Dang, this is like going back to highschool.  I wanted a board, and my wife told me it would be poser. Adults don't do that. Hahahaha. I told my bud and he got me an arbor longboard for my retirement. My "coolest" board was a nash big 5 special. Didn't have the $$ for powell, vision, hawk, santa cruz etc.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
9/30/21 10:08 p.m.

I want a recreation of the one in Gleaming the Cube.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/5/22 5:25 p.m.

Im going to bump this old thread to post my newly signed (and doodled) Ed Templeton Toy Machine deck and my signed Jason Lee Stereo board that are going on the wall. 13 year old Jay is stoked.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/5/22 6:29 p.m.

My ankles hurt looking at this. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
3/6/22 7:57 a.m.

I got two Jason Lee boards that I need to hang up

One I rode for a week and wish I hadnt, only 300 released. Then I got it's sister board new in shrink wrap. But just havent gotten around to hanging them up

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
3/11/22 10:03 a.m.

Since the topic has been revived...  I added these three to the three above:

Turns out the red OG Hawk I bought is a mini.  Pretty obvious next to the grey reissue and Psycho Stick.  So once I find a full size in the same colorway, I'm done and I can finally be happy.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/11/22 10:17 a.m.

This reminds me, I should probably bring my Deathwish "Creeps" wall hangers in from the garage and put them in my office. 

I've got the Greco, the Lizard, and the Team decks. They are super rad. 

David S. Wallens
7/26/22 11:55 p.m.

Just cleaning up a little zombie action, but if you all want to discuss skateboards some more, please have at it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O0UJceiUYJBcwgRRJ3Eml4E9t6PARisR55RkHlLSD94tGJwamASkEtx77UqMOxME