1 2
ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/24/20 6:57 a.m.

Pick a car, any car.  Then consider what the "oldest" part on that car may be.  By "oldest" I mean the part the manufacturer has used the longest without any design change whatsoever.  The part that in theory you could use on a car from X years ago. What do you think it might be?

For the sake of this exercise, we will exclude wires and fuses.  It should have an OEM part number.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/20 7:11 a.m.

I would guess that you could probably take a radiator cap off a 2020 silverado and use it on something at least back to the 30's(edit, looks like they went plastic, but someone is probably still using a standard metal cap, maybe something in brazil or china)

You can order a connecting rod bearing for a new chevy LS/LT v8 and use it in a 1968 small block

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/20 7:24 a.m.

I believe I've seen those spiral hood assist springs on GM trucks from the 30s

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/24/20 7:33 a.m.

Schrader valve stems.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/24/20 7:40 a.m.

lug nuts. or some generic bolt, although I think those are usually handled by a spec rather than a part number.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/24/20 7:53 a.m.

Ford still makes the brass float for fuel pumps that has a c0az prefix that they carried well into the 00's.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/24/20 8:25 a.m.

Doh, I need to dig up part numbers.

When I worked at Year One we got a shocking number of "restoration" parts from the local GM dealer. Stuff that had been in production decades and just never changed because they didn't need to. The one I remember most was a dipstick tube.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
6/24/20 8:56 a.m.

Rear end bearings. 
some are from model t  and a days.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
6/24/20 9:11 a.m.
slefain said:

Doh, I need to dig up part numbers.

When I worked at Year One we got a shocking number of "restoration" parts from the local GM dealer. Stuff that had been in production decades and just never changed because they didn't need to. The one I remember most was a dipstick tube.

Good example!

That's the kind of thing I was wondering about.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/20 9:13 a.m.

I looked up alternators, but they switched over from dynamos in the 1960s.

Paper air filters have not changed much, but they were only introduced in the 1950s. Same with oil filters.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/24/20 9:22 a.m.

Spark plugs?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/20 9:52 a.m.

GM mechanical fuel pump?

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
6/24/20 10:04 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

GM mechanical fuel pump?

Is it still used on a car/truck?

I am excluding spark plugs, fasteners, and stuff.  I was thinking "proprietary".

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/20 10:13 a.m.

The turn signal flasher.

Ford's keyless entry pad innards for the door. I'd bet money that the one in my Flex is the same as the one in my Turbo Coupe. The outside buttons are different, but they are identical in spacing, feel, and function.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/24/20 10:15 a.m.

Engine bearings. Pretty much the same since someone got tired of pouring  and scraping babbitt bearings.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
6/24/20 10:19 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Engine bearings. Pretty much the same since someone got tired of pouring  and scraping babbitt bearings.

Let's play this one out.  Say I pick a new Silverado with a V8 -- how far back will those engine bearings go? 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/24/20 10:41 a.m.

If you are looking for a specific part number, I think they may not go back quite as far as you might imagine.  Pretty big shift in almost everything through the 90's-00's.

Differential pinion bearings could go back a long way.  GM trans rear seals might go back to the 60's.  

One of the early examples was a rad cap.  Nope.  I haven't seen a traditional quarter turn metal cap on anything built for quite a while- probably 20 years. (I'm sure someone will give me an example of my wrongness soon.)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/24/20 10:42 a.m.

The rubber foot pads on the brake and clutch pedals in my 1961 Pontiac were part number 494832.  Pontiac used the same part number from 1935 through 1962.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/24/20 10:56 a.m.

Leaf springs! Can't imagine the metallurgy has changed much!

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/20 11:10 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:
NOHOME said:

Let's play this one out.  Say I pick a new Silverado with a V8 -- how far back will those engine bearings go? 

See my reply above.  The connecting rod bearings go back to 1968 when they switched from the small journal crank in small blocks

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
6/24/20 12:30 p.m.

The little digital clock.

Do they even make replacements? Can the clock even break?

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/24/20 12:52 p.m.
TopNoodles said:

The little digital clock.

Do they even make replacements? Can the clock even break?

My g/f's matrix clock doesnt work. It's infuriating. She wont let me fix it either, says it frees her from the constraints of time. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/24/20 1:15 p.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:

My g/f's matrix clock doesnt work. It's infuriating. She wont let me fix it either, says it frees her from the constraints of time. 

What?, is she Dr Who? Does she have issues with the disappearance of phone booths?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/20 1:18 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Schrader valve stems.

Maybe up until TPMS became a thing.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/24/20 4:13 p.m.

The pieces of ash forming the frame of a Morgan Plus Four? :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k5zjEseRQwketIQNWPuO5u9K0pOajDzSLOXLT7lPcbBMmLOavAKSRDvWHKB4AUV6