1 2 3 4
z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/2/10 11:29 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: In reply to wbjones: You're wrong. Not trying to be untactful...but the starting pay listed for the officer position is within about 10% of what I make now. And that's not necessarily where I would have to start. I hope "project manager engineer" doesn't sound like anything other than "guy with a degree sitting in an office not being paid well enough."

Move somewhere else? I know in Tulsa, Police Officers start between $36-39k (very low cost of living here in OK), as an Engineer you would have NO problem finding a job around here starting at AT LEAST $65k/year.

Hell we are looking for an Electrical Engineer who has experience with Gen Set controls at my office right now.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/2/10 11:30 a.m.

Oh and I haven't read all the thread yet, so maybe someone has said it, but the whole "I'll just try it out thing" doesn't seem like the right mindset to be in Law Enforcement.

I could be wrong though, have been before and likely will be again in the future.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/2/10 11:38 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: as an Engineer you would have NO problem finding a job around here starting at AT LEAST $65k/year.

with 5 years experience, yes..

just out of college, no.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/2/10 12:07 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
z31maniac wrote: as an Engineer you would have NO problem finding a job around here starting at AT LEAST $65k/year.
with 5 years experience, yes.. just out of college, no.

Well since he said he was a Project manager, I assumed he has some experience.

And an engineer straight out of school will still pull $50k around these parts.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/2/10 1:30 p.m.

Around here, an experienced engineer (not a PE, mind you) won't get 50K...let alone one straight out of school. I don't make $50k, and I graduated in '98.

"Project Manager" means "entry level" just so everyone understands.

My location is an issue. I live in a college town with a good engineering school. There's not exactly a shortage of engineers around here. But I'm not going to be moving for at least a decade (I'm divorced and have kids...'nuf said).

[edited for clarity and spellin']

Clem

stroker
stroker Reader
10/2/10 9:28 p.m.

Uh, Clem, just as an aside, if you're talking the Columbia PD it would sure help to be gay.

Really.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/3/10 12:00 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Around here, an experienced engineer (not a PE, mind you) won't get 50K out of school. I don't make $50k, and I graduated in '98. "Project Manager" means "entry level" just so everyone understands. My location is an issue. I like in a college town with a good engineering school. There's not exactly a shortage of engineers around here. But I'm not going to be moving for at least a decade (I'm divorced and have kids...'nuf said). Clem

I didn't realize the market would be THAT depressed in a college town for engineers.

That is interesting though that cops in a town that size actually make more than in Tulsa. And from what I understand, Tulsa has some of the highest requirements to be officers in the first place.

When they laid off a bunch of officers last year because of the budget, there were recruiters from all over the country to come try to get them to their depts.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/4/10 8:09 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Oh and I haven't read all the thread yet, so maybe someone has said it, but the whole "I'll just try it out thing" doesn't seem like the right mindset to be in Law Enforcement. I could be wrong though, have been before and likely will be again in the future.

Hopefully I didn't lead anyone to think I'd be treating this as a test drive type of job. No...if I have the opportunity, it will, in all likelihood, be a career change. Barring unforseen stuff.

Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
11/29/10 11:51 a.m.

So...I got a letter of invitation from the city. I am invited to come take the police officer test in mid December.

If I do good on that...then the next step would be an interview.

Here's hoping...

Clem

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/10 12:05 p.m.

Good Luck.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
11/29/10 12:14 p.m.

You sound like you know who you are, and what you have to give to your community. I think you should go for it. Just check the mirror every morning and remind yourself of your love for the people who need you, and I think you'll do a great job!

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
11/29/10 12:35 p.m.
dollraves wrote: You sound like you know who you are, and what you have to give to your community. I think you should go for it. Just check the mirror every morning and remind yourself of your love for the people who need you, and I think you'll do a great job!

^^^ this! Have fun; be a good cop!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/6/10 8:10 a.m.

Update:

I did well on the test (90%) and have an interview this week. Time to polish up on the interview skills/questions/answers!

There were, however, almost 30 people taking the test and 5 open positions. While I like the odds, I'm far from a shoo-in.

used to have an 81gtv6
used to have an 81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/10 9:18 a.m.

Congrats and good luck.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/10 9:22 a.m.

+1, hope it goes well for you.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
12/6/10 9:31 a.m.

-please- go to your first day on the job dressed like:

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/6/10 12:22 p.m.

"We got no time, fer dat CRAP!" [Buford T. Justice]

lol.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
12/6/10 12:45 p.m.

Go get 'em Clem. If it makes you proud to answer when someone asks what you do, then you know it's right.

I spent 5 yrs @ Ga Tech for a degree I don't use (textile chemistry), but if that's the road that got me here, I'm better for it. The engineering education makes us much better at whatever it is we really want to do. Whenever we figure out what that is.....

octavious
octavious New Reader
12/6/10 6:30 p.m.

Clem I sent you a PM

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/20/10 7:26 a.m.

Well...

I got my very own, personalized rejection letter on Saturday.

Oh well...the process of chasing this job has made me realize that I seriously do need a new career...so all is not lost. Now I am motivated to continue career shopping and hopefully improve my outlook.

Thanks all for the great support!
Clem

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/20/10 9:54 a.m.

That sucks, sorry dude.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/10 10:01 a.m.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with finding the right career for you, thoughl

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/20/10 10:24 a.m.

I have some 16 years Police experience back in Oz, that said, the logic that is required as an engineer will be invaluable as a Cop. However, keep your mouth closed and don't start opining unless asked and defer to the experienced members until they learn to respect your common sense. Of course this doesn't mean roll over and do anything they say, just don't be too clever. (I know you already understand this but it needed to be said.)

Train, train and train. That is with Firearms, physical and stay up on the legal changes, you will do fine.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/20/10 10:36 a.m.

^He did say he received a rejection letter.....

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
12/20/10 10:47 a.m.

Well at least you had the guts to try. Now you'll never have that nagging what if feeling.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g4Zz0B6nH4Smr3rIL7iXebCadUTGcvLQY60VlNn1g7EsNq9Pi2ajRWxNSUEGBS1z