1 2 3 4
rotard
rotard New Reader
12/20/10 11:54 a.m.

An engineering degree will get you stuck somewhere as pretty much a salaried (maybe not in some cases) tech. Your employer will then use you to support other people until you burn out. In my area (SC,) you're lucky to start out at $40k with an engineering degree.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/20/10 12:07 p.m.

Most Police departments offer the general public ride alongs. See if you can sign up for one, and have a night out with the cops and see if it is for you.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/20/10 12:20 p.m.
rotard wrote: In my area (SC,) you're lucky to start out at $40k with an engineering degree.

Seriously? How is this even possible? What kind of engineering degree? Mechanical? MET?

Heck, I've got a buddy who works for Englobal doing pipe design work, doesn't even have an Engineering degree and approaches $85k/yr.

You can have a 4 year degree in basically anything and start out around $35k/year here. That's what I got hired on for at State Farm (as a claim rep) nearly FIVE YEARS ago with a degree in Public Relations.

I guess it just baffles me in OK, because we never really get the booms/bust that a lot of the other parts of the country get (excluding the oil bust of the early 80s, but I wasn't "aware" at that age.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/20/10 12:28 p.m.

If you really want this path, you have what it takes, now go and start your training, do some firearms courses, get fit, and maybe a local POST course (or your area's police course) the ball is in your hands

rotard
rotard New Reader
12/20/10 12:37 p.m.

How many years has your buddy been working? I'm talking entry-level here. I'd assume that any recent graduate (bachelors) claiming over $60k/year was lying in most cases. Sure, there are some exceptions based on location, skill, and luck; however, the fact of the matter is that a college degree(bachelors) simply isn't worth what it once was. I have a degree in Textile Chemistry, and have worked as a materials engineer. I started out at around $50k (5 years ago,) but this was before the market bottomed out. As was said earlier in this thread, companies can/will hire a few expensive people. You'll see a PhD/experienced engineer/brain or two with many "associate" engineers or technicians. You'd be surprised how many people will work for $40k a year when that's all they can get. My company was hiring PhD level engineers and scientists with experience in the $60-70k range. You also have to ultimately understand and deal with the fact that someone with an MBA will have far more control over your projects and career than you like.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/20/10 2:09 p.m.

He has been doing it about 10 years or so. But still.

I guess the market in Tulsa, just isn't the same as the rest of the country because of the oil money.

rotard wrote: You also have to ultimately understand and deal with the fact that someone with an MBA will have far more control over your projects and career than you like.

Precisely why I continue to think about going back to get one.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
12/20/10 7:22 p.m.
I have a degree in Textile Chemistry, and have worked as a materials engineer.

Ok, so are you a chemist, or an engineer? In Canada, its illegal to just call yourself an "engineer" if you are not one.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
12/20/10 11:10 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Well... I got my very own, personalized rejection letter on Saturday. Oh well...the process of chasing this job has made me realize that I seriously do need a new career...so all is not lost. Now I am motivated to continue career shopping and hopefully improve my outlook. Thanks all for the great support! Clem

Aw, that stinks the stench of the dead. Can you re-apply next year, or was this a one-time deal?

rotard
rotard New Reader
12/21/10 10:07 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
I have a degree in Textile Chemistry, and have worked as a materials engineer.
Ok, so are you a chemist, or an engineer? In Canada, its illegal to just call yourself an "engineer" if you are not one.

I got a masters focusing on biomedical engineering. The polymer stuff helped a lot with it. I thought you couldn't CALL yourself an engineer unless you passed the PE? I guess stuff is different in Canada.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ey8ZUeScDvJiOv6DR5SC0rx2oXQmbp5uNrBpp5z2Jljf1cjuIF19yaZQKrYiAbO6