Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/24/08 10:14 p.m.

I probably would have snacked on a few

With my dino obsession as a kid, I would have gone apeE36 M3 if I saw this.

Also, when did dinosaurs get fuzzy?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/24/08 10:37 p.m.

maybe its supposed to be feathered?

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
7/25/08 1:27 a.m.

Kids, it's not only Santa that isn't real... Oh, you didn't know that...

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/25/08 1:39 a.m.

as for fuzzy, it seams that with every new discovery/history channel is making the dinos more feathered shrugs

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/25/08 6:09 a.m.

I'd go nuts if I saw that. Good thing people don't carry spears around with them, or we'd hunt them to extinction like the last time.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/08 6:24 a.m.

I heard that right after that video was taken, another guy in a meteor suit came along and wiped out all the guys in the dinosaur suits.

minimac
minimac Dork
7/25/08 6:48 a.m.

Guy on the camera tried to get a boob shot of mom with the stroller! But he was too late. He only caught her pulling the strap of her top back up.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/08 7:16 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: as for fuzzy, it seams that with every new discovery/history channel is making the dinos more feathered *shrugs*

It was discovered a few years ago that velociraptors had some feathers, judging by features in their bones. Then JP3 came out with historically accurate feathered raptors. But since then, all dinosaurs have slowly been turning into giant fluffy chickens. I don't know what's going on.

Really awesome dinosaur though. I guess it's remote controlled? Having something that big going around autonomously in public would be dangerous, and the behavior is too lifelike for anything but some very advanced AI to simulate...

Oh, I see it really is a guy in a suit HEY KIDS!

GameboyRMH
7/25/08 7:20 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: I'd go nuts if I saw that. Good thing people don't carry spears around with them, or we'd hunt them to extinction like the last time.

John McCain was trying to push sustainable dinosaur hunting at the time, but nobody listened and now the world is running out of oil.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/25/08 8:51 a.m.
minimac wrote: Guy on the camera tried to get a boob shot of mom with the stroller! But he was too late. He only caught her pulling the strap of her top back up.

looks like thats her purse

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/25/08 8:53 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Then JP3 came out with historically accurate feathered raptors. HEY KIDS!

except for the fact that raptors were actually about the size of a small dog in real life, but yeah, sure, close enough

GameboyRMH
7/25/08 9:33 a.m.
Strizzo wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Then JP3 came out with historically accurate feathered raptors. HEY KIDS!
except for the fact that raptors were actually about the size of a small dog in real life, but yeah, sure, close enough

Oh, true I think it would suck just as much for one to attack you though

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
7/25/08 9:39 a.m.

That's pretty sweet. I would def. bite some kiddies if I was in the suit. Or, whack them with my tail. Probably a good thing I'm locked in a cubicle all day.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/25/08 9:39 a.m.
Strizzo wrote:

Well actually they would be closer to a medium sized dogs and with their tail they were close to 2 meters long. As for the feathers it was not features found on the bones that led them to believe that raptors were feathered but impressions left in the stone around fossilized bones. It is quite rare but if you find a specimen in an undisturbed state (very hard to do) it is possible to find impressions left behind of the skin surface and in the case of raptors feather impressions. The fossilized impressions can be VERY hard to see and many times it is looked over especially when you are so excited about finding a skeleton.

I had one sample sitting on my desk for close to 2 months before I noticed the light was catching it just right and there was a second impression fossil I had never seen before.

As for Jurassic Park the raptors in that would be closer in size to a Deinonychus but even larger than those really are. Those raptors size fall somewhere between the Deinonychus (roughly 3 feet tall and 11 feet long) and the Utahraptor (roughly 6.5 feet tall over 20 feet long). In the movie they seemed to reach roughly 4 feet or so in height (measured at the hips) and maybe 13 feet in length or so.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/08 9:51 a.m.

There's a dinosaur museum here with animatronic dinosaurs. The first thing you see when you walk in the door is a Utahraptor eating something tasty and potentially not dead. Big shiny red strings of dino guts hanging from its jaws as it raises its head to look at you - I thought my brother in law was going to pee himself with glee the first time he saw it.

I totally would go on a rampage if I had a dino suit like that.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/25/08 10:06 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Really awesome dinosaur though. I guess it's remote controlled? Having something that big going around autonomously in public would be dangerous, and the behavior is too lifelike for anything but some very advanced AI to simulate...

Dude in a suit. Notice the black legs coming out of the stomach. His feet went into the feet of the dinosaur.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/25/08 10:42 a.m.

Yeah it's a dude in a suit, but I give mad, mad props to that guy. I'm guessing they hired a trained mime actor or puppeteer or body actor or something. Of course, it's LA, so EVERYONE's an actor so even if they just threw the suit on one of the museum tour guides he probably had his SAG card. His motions and reactions were very subtle and real. I love the video toward the end when the camera guy walks around the corner. Has a very Cloverfield look to it.

Personally, I'd probably be able to restrain myself for about ten minutes in that suit before I went to stomp hell out of Tokyo.

jg

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/25/08 11:06 a.m.
Strizzo wrote:

As mentioned already:

Oh hi guys, I hear you're talking about big raptors!

I'm STILL not down with them being fuzzy/feathery.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/26/08 10:17 a.m.

the whole feathery thing makes a bit of sense when you consider the theory they evolved into birds. I actually knew a guy in high school that took the skeletons of several birds and lizards and reconstructed them into what looked an aweful lot like a dinosaur skeleton. Quite cool actually.

I'd love to see that Utahraptor dispaly.

Two of my degrees right now are Biology and Geology...hmmm wonder what I wanted to be when I was a little kid

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
7/27/08 9:36 a.m.

If I was a dude in a dinosaur suit..I'd be this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTW19g-uUTw

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cjGikBxaXtfPVOpAGtUYk4woHRbUsZC6rgxkc7zTVfB1BHE3aIsZH2YjXoSn7Xwc