1 2
dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
4/9/20 6:45 p.m.

I have a 60 inch 11 drawer bottom box, a 42 inch 3 drawer with a storage compartment at the bottom and 2 of the 42 inch tops. One stays in my basement for bike stuff. I want to add a rolling cart because my tiny garage gets too crowded too really work with a car in it. 

I have a gazillion tools.  It gets that way after 55 years of purchasing and taking good care.  i guess its an embarassment of riches.  Most of my hand tools are probably older than most GRM folks.

In the last few years the car shop got a very large single box, with car type tools only.  No parts, or supplies in the tool box.  Even still there are shelves and shelves of more specialized tools.  e.g.Nut-sert levers are big.  Battery chargers, air compressors, shop vacs, work lights.  Then the welding/fab area has those tools.  All those shop tools stay in the shop and get put away daily.  No parts or supplies in the tool boxes.  That stuff is stored elsewhere.  "Stuff" will take up all available space.

I love that one big box, but damn, I can't get myself to get rid of that 7 drawer Craftsman box I struggled to pay for in 1972, even thou its empty and taking up space, in its own rusty decal covered way.

My business requires even more tools.  All sorts of woodworking, tile setting, flooring, plumbing, sheetrock, concrete, framing, painting, ladders, yadda yadda yadda.  Those tools try to stay in the van and trailers.  Separate sets of compressors, air lines, etc.  The car shop is always the car shop.  Those tools don't get mixed with the business tools.

Then there is all the yard equipment and gardening stuff.   (another building, yikes)

I learned one thing many years ago going racing.   Many guys try to haul the whole shop on the road.  I created a separate box just for the race car.  If the race car does not require a 1.5" socket, there is no reason to haul that socket to Watkins Glen.   An old timer told me one time to do a winter frame-up on the race car and leave every tool you use laying on the floor.  When you are done, those are the only tools you need to take to the track.  I found that system dropped a few hundred pounds out of the trailer.  wink  Much smaller roll around box for the trailer, and it can even stay in the trailer.

Buy the best tools you can afford, take car of them, put them away each day, and be very careful about loaning them out.  

chada75
chada75 Reader
4/10/20 2:15 p.m.

Have two boxes. One is a three drawer carry all for the Taxi. The other is a One drawer former kart racing box repurposed for Autocross.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/10/20 3:10 p.m.

The swivel drawers are a neat gimmick, but it looks like you lose space vs. regular drawers.

stukndapast
stukndapast Reader
11/29/20 8:04 a.m.
Torkel said:

I have both. I have one biiig (and quite sexy) toolbox where I can, in a well organized fashion, store a lot of tools. 

But, I also have a smaller box and that contains, in reality) all the tools needed for ~90% the work I do. And the very top section of that toolbox contains all the tools needed to do ~85% of all the work I do and therefore, I have taken the time to organize it very carefully (embrace your OCD!). 

At this point, you might have guessed how much I hate looking for the right tool. I also rarely loose my tools, since I can see right away if a tool is missing. The top section is heavy, but possible to lift and take along to the track. 

Reminds me of my days working on aircraft in the USAF.  Everyone had a set of chits, and every time you took a tool out of the box you put one of your chits in its empty cutout.  At the end of the job, every tool had to be back in its place and if anything was missing, the chit pointed to the culprit.  Fighter pilots didn't much like having loose tools banging around in the cockpit or jamming up the landing gear.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
11/29/20 8:36 a.m.

In reply to pheller :

I don't have a shop, so I have multiple small toolboxes. One I keep in my RX7, with metrics, one in my Belvedere with standards, and a bigger toolbox in my Sonic with big tools (hammer, breaker bar, big vice grips, etc.) So far it has worked out decent.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/29/20 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Torkel :

Did you make those tool trays?  If so, how?  That would save me buckets of time.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/29/20 9:41 a.m.

I have three tool boxes in the garage.  One is dedicated to electrical tools items, the other to tools I use sparingly and parts of projects I am working on, or will work on.  The biggest box has most tools.  I also use a rolling cart for the project I am working on.  I am planning on building a workbench with wall storage.  I am tired of not seeing what size socket or wrench I need.  When will someone invent a hover board that will just keep the tools within easy reach?

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/29/20 11:51 a.m.

Those are awesome tool trays!  Would love to get/make them

Jake
Jake Dork
11/29/20 8:29 p.m.

This is all germane to my recent interests. We bought a brand new house, which is amazing and wonderful. It's got a 2-car garage. I managed to coat the garage floor before we moved in, so THAT is at least done. But after that I've just got the crazy cobbled-together assortment of stuff we have bought by necessity over the last 20 years. Plastic shelves, weird blow mold cases, tupperware bins, etc. We did a LOT of remodeling work on the old house. We won't need to be doing that type of work near as much here, and yet I have all the table saw/ miter saw/ drills/ sanders/ naile guns/ air compressors/ etc all over. I'm leaning towards replacing my current workbench (which I have sat at to work on something, ever, exactly zero times...) with a rolling tool cart with a bench top (US General is fine by me) and then if I need it also adding a rolling tool cart. 

Been here a year, still need to get a shed built- probably at least 50% to hold the tools I'll use to build it. Agh. Always something.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/21/21 6:45 a.m.

No photo description available.

I am out of room or I'd also have a rolly car thing to have next to the car. Top box is specialty tools/trim tools, misc drivers/bits and allen wrenches, screw drivers, pliers. Middle box is SAE wrenches, Metric wrenches, 1/4 and 3/8 sockets/ratchets/extensions, 1/2" non-impact, breaker bar/torque wrench and 1/4" impact/swivel impact/specialty sockets (allen and torx bits). Bottom box is Hammers, Electrical (wiring, connectors, multimeter, bulbs/relays etc), misc tools (oil filter wrenches, c-clamps, pipe wrench, etc) and the bottom drawer is misc oily stuff like grease gun etc. Air tools got into the left drawer on the bench top and slide hammers/specialty tools go in the right one.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/21/21 9:06 a.m.

Probably a decade ago Cosco had these Chinesium stainless tool boxes for a killer price.

As with most things Cosco, it is awesome. Though I use every drawer it's probably only at half capacity. Before this I had a Craftsman bottom cabinet and a portable box. I would never go back. Much like a garage, there is no such thing as 'too big' with boxes.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/21/21 9:27 a.m.

Those tray cut-outs make me jealous.  Unfortunately, I have far too many tools in every drawer to do that and no room in the garage for a box larger than the 26" x 18" footprint of my Craftsman box (11 dr bottom, 3 dr mid, 12 dr top).  The lid of the top box is so high I haven't opened it in years since I can't see inside anyway.  I don't remember if I left anything in there... 

A lack of floor and wall space limits my options.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/21/21 12:04 p.m.

these are just some of the tool boxes I have. I've ignored my wood working tools as well as shop equipment for now. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fBPvA3J8AMvLwS3hCUV5Szno08OwdNGPSoxLmxBIQ2WZZxiBrk4WLGaLLL8i4PvG