1 2 3
Drewsifer
Drewsifer Reader
12/9/09 10:14 p.m.

I can't wait for the media to demonize this woman as a gun crazed physco who shoot first and asked questions later. I think this woman handle this situations spot on. She called 911, she verbally warned the intruder several times to leave, and then she shot him.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/10/09 1:27 a.m.

I see nothing wrong with what she did. If anything she handled herself better than 90% of the population would have.

She also has wicked aim

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/10/09 5:56 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: She also has wicked aim

It's a SHOTGUN through a window!!!

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
12/10/09 7:01 a.m.
Drewsifer wrote: I can't wait for the media to demonize this woman as a gun crazed physco who shoot first and asked questions later. I think this woman handle this situations spot on. She called 911, she verbally warned the intruder several times to leave, and then she shot him.

Hehe, that won't happen here in OK.

They played the 911 tape on the radio yesterday or the day before. That woman remained very level-headed and calm, it was quite impressive.

The guy had a length criminal record, so kudos to this woman for taking care of it.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/10/09 7:25 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: The guy had a lengthy criminal record, so kudos to this woman for taking care of it.

Not inciting a riot or anything, but I always wonder: is that good?

Like the guy two weeks ago that killed four cops having coffee, he was eventually found and shot on sight. The shooter saved the tax payers a boatload of money and the possibility he may get away with it, but if found guilty wouldn't the cops' families feel better knowing this pothole will rot in a jail cell for the rest of his life?

We had our own local celebrity nut job a while ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemuel_Smith

Even killed a female Corrections Officer while he was in there. We don't have a death penalty here, but if we did, would you feel better knowing he's just dead, or better knowing he gets 15 minutes of sunlight a day and the rest of the time in a pit?

Sorry for hijacking, but I'm curious.

Dan

slefain
slefain Dork
12/10/09 8:47 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
z31maniac wrote: The guy had a lengthy criminal record, so kudos to this woman for taking care of it.
Not inciting a riot or anything, but I always wonder: is that good? Like the guy two weeks ago that killed four cops having coffee, he was eventually found and shot on sight. The shooter saved the tax payers a boatload of money and the possibility he may get away with it, but if found guilty wouldn't the cops' families feel better knowing this pothole will rot in a jail cell for the rest of his life? We had our own local celebrity nut job a while ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemuel_Smith Even killed a female Corrections Officer while he was in there. We don't have a death penalty here, but if we did, would you feel better knowing he's just dead, or better knowing he gets 15 minutes of sunlight a day and the rest of the time in a pit? Sorry for hijacking, but I'm curious. Dan

The cop that pegged the maggot who shot four officers did the public a huge favor. There was a case here in Atlanta where a maggot killed people IN THE COURT HOUSE with tons of witnesses, but it STILL took $2,000,000 in public funds to put the maggot on trial, and it took YEARS for the guilty verdict to finally get handed down. People were screaming for the trial to just end, or for maybe the maggot have an "accident" while in holding. I kept waiting to hear about him being killed in a failed escape attempt.

Sometimes "just dead" is the better option for some maggots.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/10/09 12:22 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
mad_machine wrote: She also has wicked aim
It's a SHOTGUN through a window!!!

Never said what the shotgun was loaded with.. A good solid slug would do wonders

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/10/09 12:52 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
Not inciting a riot or anything, but I always wonder: is that good? Like the guy two weeks ago that killed four cops having coffee, he was eventually found and shot on sight. The shooter saved the tax payers a boatload of money and the possibility he may get away with it, but if found guilty wouldn't the cops' families feel better knowing this pothole will rot in a jail cell for the rest of his life? We had our own local celebrity nut job a while ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemuel_Smith Even killed a female Corrections Officer while he was in there. We don't have a death penalty here, but if we did, would you feel better knowing he's just dead, or better knowing he gets 15 minutes of sunlight a day and the rest of the time in a pit? Sorry for hijacking, but I'm curious. Dan

I think if I was them I would go with burning in HELL for all eternity before I go for 3 squares and AC and TV and a gym in jail.

But then that's just me...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/10/09 12:59 p.m.
pitbull113 wrote: I prefer a handgun for home self defense. i can hold a cell phone to call 911 or a flashlight and still hold my weapon.

pistol grip pump FTMFW

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/10/09 3:06 p.m.

Shotgun at that range, probaby spread ~2 inches. It isn't like the wall gets blown out when you shoot the thing, unlike in the movies. Also good for removing stuck lug nuts, I hear.

Ya'll remember that guy that shot the cop dog and the cop(s?) in Florida? This is from memory, so don't quote me on the numbers, but they hunted him down and he got shot something like 35 times. The head cop was asked why he was shot 35 times and the answer was something to the effect of "That's all the ammo they had at the time."

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/10/09 3:14 p.m.

914 I know you are playing Devil's Advocate, an apt application for this term.

berkeley em if they can't take it, they wouldn't be in this situation if they don't commit crimes. If he came to my house it wouldn't have been one shot. I was trained to keep shooting until the threat is ended, after three magazines I would have had a peak at him. God help him if he had any twitches left.

There wouldn't be much burden on the taxpayers I assure you.

She didn't go to his house after all.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/10/09 3:14 p.m.

Yeah, that one was pretty big news around here. There was no cry of Police brutality. Just well done, officers! Hey Doc, what does a body look like with 35 .357/ .40 caliber holes in it?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/10/09 3:16 p.m.

I didn't see that body. Didn't make the 'net. But, I'm gonna say it's rather, uh, dead. That was one criminal that certainly isn't going to shoot anymore police dogs.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
12/10/09 3:25 p.m.

Personally, I think this woman should go to jail for the rest of her life. This man was obviously confused, so it wasn't his fault. She should have sat him down and made him breakfast, maybe learned a little bit about his background. Later he could go on to play for the Baltimore Ravens with the rest of the criminals.

But seriously, shotty is great. Something the lady of the house can use is a bonus. Short barrell is a big bonus for manueverability. Do keep in mind that (as the doctor said,) the spread isn't going to be a huge one, so blindly cranking off shot after shot won't gaurantee success. Think about how little chance there is that you'd be any more than 15' away from an assailant in your home with a clear shot (assuming you don't have a ginormous home,) then think about how small the spread will be.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf New Reader
12/10/09 3:48 p.m.

My wifes a better shot than me

I'm glad this woman took care of business . If people would just pay attention and quit becoming victims we could ebb this tide . Theres a reason crime is up in America . This crap didn't use to happen as much. A bullet cost pennies learn how to shoot and help the police. Thankfully i live in a state that allows concealed weapons .

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
12/10/09 5:21 p.m.

I give you the Stoeger Double Defense: Side by side double in 12 or 20 gauge, with Picatinny rails top and bottom.

Flashlight for positive bad-guy ID. Lasers and/or red-dot sights to help center the pattern. Exposed hammers would make it that much better.

Personally I'm not a big shotgun fan, but this one ...

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/10/09 5:32 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: I give you the Stoeger Double Defense: Side by side double in 12 or 20 gauge, with Picatinny rails top and bottom. Flashlight for positive bad-guy ID. Lasers and/or red-dot sights to help center the pattern. Exposed hammers would make it that much better. Personally I'm not a big shotgun fan, but this one ...

Appears rather long for the restricted confines of most homes. But a bit of strategic sawing and some practice at the range make that a winner.

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
12/10/09 5:53 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Ya'll remember that guy that shot the cop dog and the cop(s?) in Florida? This is from memory, so don't quote me on the numbers, but they hunted him down and he got shot something like 35 times. The head cop was asked why he was shot 35 times and the answer was something to the effect of "That's all the ammo they had at the time."

The victims were officer Matt Williams and a dog named DiOGi. The perp was Angilo Freeland. He was shot 68 times. That was our sheriff, Grady Judd.

The Judd is, on the whole, annoying because of his constant media whoring. (Which I've discussed in the past.) Regardless, he'll be elected until his dying day because of that quote.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
12/10/09 7:12 p.m.

A shotgun is the absolute best home defense weapon for many reasons.

1) It's too big for any small mischievous child to hold the trigger and point it at them selves.

2) It's the easiest to aim since you have a larger spread than a single bullet.

3) A half decent shot is going to knock em down.

4) It's also the most intimidating in a serious manner, than a gangster pistol.

Will
Will Reader
12/10/09 7:34 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: Appears rather long for the restricted confines of most homes. But a bit of strategic sawing and some practice at the range make that a winner.

Does the name Randy Weaver mean anything to you? The ATF takes a dim view of sawing off barrels.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/10/09 8:37 p.m.

Yeah, that's how they entrapped Randy Weaver, then used that as an excuse to kill his whole family after spending $35K/day of our federal tax dollars to watch him.

Anyway, 68 times, huh? Well, that's more than 35. You know, heat of the battle, didn't count the bullets (or mags), etc. It could happen.

Exposed hammers are not a safety device. They can snag and cause you problems. Enclosed hammers: They are always cocked if there's a live round in the chamber. Put the safety on or push it off, you won't hurt yourself if they snag on something. And where does the coffee maker plug in on that Picatinny rail thing?

Another good thing about a shotgun for home defense is that you are not likely to hurt your neighbors if you live in the city. The pellets are not likely to go through an additional wall, unlike, say, an SKS or 44 magnum. In the city, those can be dangerous to neighbors, whereas a shotgun with say #4 shot will be quite effective in stopping aggression but won't hurt neighbors, even in an apartment setting. In a subdivision setting, buckshot would probably be OK, but remember that 00 buckshot is still 30 caliber.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
12/10/09 9:01 p.m.

I can see the positive aspects of a shotgun. In addition to the damn effectiveness of them, they also don't jam. At least, I've never seen one jam. Get a cheapo handgun and watch as you get two shots off and the berkeleying shell gets snagged by the slide as is usually the case for my dad's well-maintained Taurus 9mm. Of course, the Rock River Arms AR-15 that he's got at home (mine, I might add), has never jammed. Not even once. Ever. It's had thousands of rounds run through it and it has never skipped a beat. The magazines hold 30 rounds. You come into his house uninvited and with malicious intent, you will not leave alive.

I want a high-quality 1911. Kimber makes the gun I want. Everything is matched and polished. You hardly have to aim that gun and the bullets just go where you want them. The first shot I ever fired from a Kimber 1911 hit the X in the middle of the target I was shooting at. I just lazily brought it up from my side, switched off the safety, and squeezed off one round. The stopping power of a hollow point .45 round, coupled with the maneuverability of a handgun = teh shiz. Of course, the $1100 price tag hurts it a bit.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
12/10/09 9:03 p.m.

And good for that lady. I feel bad for her now that she has to live with the responsibility for the death of another human being on her conscience. He deserved it, but it has to be a difficult thing to live with. I can safely say that I would have done exactly as she did, and in the scheme of things, we'll all be dead in 200 years anyway so what does it really matter? But I still would have been wounded psychologically from it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/10/09 9:09 p.m.

If your dad's Tarus is jamming, send it back to the factory. They have a lifetime warranty. They'll fix it. We had to do that with a PT58 that had light primer hits. Just call them for instructions, box it up, FedEx it and they'll fix it free and return it directly to him.

Yeah, I hope the lady is OK too. It's a tough one to live with, they say.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Reader
12/10/09 9:25 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Not inciting a riot or anything, but I always wonder: is that good?

Interestingly, I was discussing the death penalty for school not long ago. I read sources that claimed it went either way. Some families have said watching the criminal be put to death did nothing for them. It didn't bring their loved one back, and it didn't close the wound. And some people have said that knowing the criminal was sitting in jail the rest of his life did help. Some people have even formed relationships with the criminal (one cases springs to mind, a father who's daughter was killed by her boyfriend 25 years ago when she lied about being pregnant). How many people feel either way? I won't even try to guess, cause I don't know. But I suppose it can only be taken on a case by case basis.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZPH32AQpHrXUR3XIgpuiybPnfC5bLpA3E4ZZzATEhlGpICKU1nxw09Rhl2TK1hQv