1 2 3
Mental
Mental SuperDork
12/10/09 9:47 p.m.

The guy that survives the dogs and shotgun trying to get into my house is going to discover I send a carton of smokes to the biggest badless bugger in his cell block to make his life more miserable. To that end, I am in favor of life in prison, but that guy in Seattle, that was just a mathmetical equation. He demonstrated an inablity and unworthiness to exist in our society, subtraction.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
12/11/09 1:58 p.m.
blaze86vic wrote: A shotgun is the absolute best home defense weapon for many reasons. 1) It's too big for any small mischievous child to hold the trigger and point it at them selves.

Sorry, but that's just not true. Kids think way outside the box.

2) It's the easiest to aim since you have a larger spread than a single bullet.

Ever pattern a shotgun at, what, 7 yards? It's much easier to miss than most folks think.

3) A half decent shot is going to knock em down.

Shotguns (12, 16, 20 gauge) are good stoppers. Knocking anyone down is another issue.

4) It's also the most intimidating in a serious manner, than a gangster pistol.

It's also the easiest to deflect the barrel of or take away in close quarters.

It's kind of tough to answer the door discreetly armed with a shotgun, too.

Nothing's perfect!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/11/09 3:04 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: [a shotgun is] easiest to deflect the barrel of or take away in close quarters. It's kind of tough to answer the door discreetly armed with a shotgun, too. Nothing's perfect!

ahem...

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/11/09 5:33 p.m.
Will wrote:
oldsaw wrote: Appears rather long for the restricted confines of most homes. But a bit of strategic sawing and some practice at the range make that a winner.
Does the name Randy Weaver mean anything to you? The ATF takes a dim view of sawing off barrels.

Yes, but one can pay attention to the stock.

Will
Will Reader
12/11/09 6:20 p.m.

True.

But overall a shotgun must be 26 inches long or the ATF considers it an AOW (any other weapon) and it again becomes a PMITAP-worthy offense.

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/11/09 7:04 p.m.
Will wrote: True. But overall a shotgun must be 26 inches long or the ATF considers it an AOW (any other weapon) and it again becomes a PMITAP-worthy offense.

True, but 26 inches is shorter than a baseball bat or a crow bar; the result will require a clean-up, but it will be YOU performing the deed.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
12/11/09 7:41 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: Ever pattern a shotgun at, what, 7 yards? It's much easier to miss than most folks think.

if it's that easy to miss from 7 yds with a shotgun just think how much easier it would be to miss with a hand gun.... any hand gun..

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/11/09 8:02 p.m.

Guys you are missing the point, it's not the weapon it's the operator, just like our favorite car obsession.

The way to make any weapon effective is to get some serious training.

I recommend these guys, I have done a few of their courses and it is as good as you will find without someone shooting back at you.

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/11/09 8:33 p.m.

I support the lady 100%. If anyone breaks into my house, the resulting bleeding heart may or may not be lefty. I really don't care, as long as they bleed and not me or mine. At the short distances in most homes (15 feet or less) shotgun 'pattern' is completely academic.

In such a case, I'll learn to live with the guilt of shooting a fellow human. It beats hell out of me visiting my kid's grave or her visiting mine.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iRLuIeWY5zeHFT6pFrfgSE9jzq5YrgEIXtG6XKotunYIUSVVLb03oRheI8ASzd4D